Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rackmount LCD's

1. Default Rackmount LCD's

I'm in the process of building a modest SAC system and would really like the convenience of having my keyboard, mouse, and monitor affixed to my rack unit somehow.

So far rack drawer style LCDs are the best thing I've come across (example: http://rackmountmart.stores.yahoo.ne...u11urac17.html), but I imagine there are some other solutions out there to this that I haven't seen.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

I looked into those as well.

Depending on how handy you are, you might consider building your own rack case with a flip up top. Gives you the option of less customized expensive gear and larger screen as well.

My 2 cents,

Jamie

3. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

Unfortunately I don't have the time to be that handy

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarkeys.com View Post
    I looked into those as well.

Depending on how handy you are, you might consider building your own rack case with a flip up top. Gives you the option of less customized expensive gear and larger screen as well.

My 2 cents,

Jamie

Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

That's where I think I'll go with it.

It doesn't take being that handy -- almost all LCDs these days have screw holes on the back for VESA mounts. If you get a flip-top mixer case with a top that's the right dimensions, you should be able to drill holes in the back of the top and just put some screws in to mount the LCD in the top.

The only thing you've got to work out is how to get it to open to an exact position. A rod of metal with a hole in the end that slips over a screw head should do that fine.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound
    http://www.ssrrentals.com

5. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

There are hinges that will tie your shoes if you want them to...

Jamie

6. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

That doesn't sound too intensive, but unless I'm misunderstanding, doesn't that then leave the LCD exposed during travel?

Could you point me to an example of the type of case you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ssrsound View Post
    That's where I think I'll go with it.

It doesn't take being that handy -- almost all LCDs these days have screw holes on the back for VESA mounts. If you get a flip-top mixer case with a top that's the right dimensions, you should be able to drill holes in the back of the top and just put some screws in to mount the LCD in the top.

The only thing you've got to work out is how to get it to open to an exact position. A rod of metal with a hole in the end that slips over a screw head should do that fine.

Nope -- I'm talking about mounting the LCD to the *inside* of the lid. So you open it up, and it's right in front of you.

Don't have any examples yet -- I've not done mine yet.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound
    http://www.ssrrentals.com

8. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

Dual screens...

I wonder if there's a way to have a rack with the top removed, and have two VESA mounts (one on each side, or front/back or something) and have it so two 19" screens can extend up and side by side, but then collapse down on top of each other with a rack cover on.

9. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

My host is setup with a flip up top. Has a 19" monitor with a wireless router mounted above it. This puts the router about 7' in the air when setup. Has worked really well so far as it really simplifies setup.

My FOH setup will incorporate a 23" monitor with the same type setup as the host minus the router. I built one, but then wanted to add a different plug in scheme to it for power so I'm going to redo it.

Haven't needed a dual 23" setup yet. But the day might come.

Jamie

Another option could be to have the lcd screen mounted inside the rear lid of a standard flight case, which is then lifted up to the top of the main body of the case and clipped into position. The way I have achieved this is to mount a 9mm plywood board (as a mouse surface) on the top of my ABS plastic case (this is raised about 20mm due to the riser moulds used for stacking these types of case) and the rear lid complete with mounted lcd screen just slides under between the case and underside of the board and sits at the perfect angle for viewing. Everything stays connected, so it's a quick and easy set up.
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    SAC Host: Rack mount PC with Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo, RME HDSP9652 soundcard. 3 x M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps. Main SAC Remote: Toshiba Tecra laptop with Intel T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU (Doubles up for use as back up host via FW to Profire).
    3 x CM Labs Motor Mix control surfaces.
    SAC Wireless 'wander the room / stage' Remote: Asus EeePC HA1101 Netbook.