Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rackmount LCD's

1. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

I just built a shelf in the top part of the rack and I store the monitor, mouse, and keyboard there in foam inserts. On top of the pieces is another foam insert that holds all of the components in place when I attach the top.

When we play I take the top off the rack, lift out the parts (all still connected to the computer) replace the top, and set the components on it.

Takes about a minute to set up and a minute to put away.

Not elegant but inexpensive and functional.

Doug

Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

Steven, Doug, would you mind posting a few pictures of how you set this up? I have my pc racked, but still struggling to find a solution that works with my cases and is fast to set up and tear down. Currently I have my 17" screen in a standard photo type case, but there is quite some wiring to do before I'm set.

Others that have working DIY solutions for screens and keyboard, please chime in. Currently I'm thinking of setting my pc and laptop with fixed IP's and just use the pc without screen, remoting into it with the laptop (RDP). Downside is, if I did anything wrong with network settings, I will not get access to the pc without a screen.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Here are some pics of my 24 chan SAC/SAW system. The VGA monitor is screwed to the inside of the SKB case. 2U rack PC fits in lower SKB case to keep weight per case less than 40# for lifting. All was home built by me including plug panels bring ADA8k outputs around to front.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

Thanks David. I will try if my screen fits in the lid of my 6u case. How do you fix the lid in the upright position?
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

My setup is similar to Doug's. I had a slant-top rolling case for the mixer up top and 12U of rackspace below. The top lid is hinged on a side and allows access to the top area. 6U went to the UPS and Rackmount case in the bottom, 3 ADA's are mounted above that. I removed the slant-top rails from the case, added a bottom above the 12U of rack space and resized the styrofoam my 23" monitor came packaged in so it just fits inside the new upper compartment.

Drilled a hole at the rear of the case from the lower rackspace into the upper compartment and threaded DVI cable, power, keyboard and mouse through. Cut a notch in the back for the cables to pass through and allow the lid to close.

The other half of the styrofoam seals in the monitor, the removable monitor base, a spot I carved out in the foam for the wireless router and the keyboard mouse just pile on top.

Flip open the lid, hang the mouse, keyboard and monitor cables out the back, pull out the monitor, assemble the stand, close the lid, put everything on top and plug in the monitor.

Ready to go.

My "desk top" is 1/2" furniture grade ply painted flat black, screwed from inside rack at four places through SKB top nesting ribs. This sets desk top about 1/2" off rear rail. Slots cut in corners of ply fit inside rack cover. Thumb screws (left over from lighting hardware) in Tee nuts hold rack cover in place.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

That is simple yet effective. Thanks for sharing.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by glass50 View Post
    My "desk top" is 1/2" furniture grade ply painted flat black, screwed from inside rack at four places through SKB top nesting ribs. This sets desk top about 1/2" off rear rail. Slots cut in corners of ply fit inside rack cover. Thumb screws (left over from lighting hardware) in Tee nuts hold rack cover in place.
    Do you have problems seeing around the monitor and case cover?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    Steven, Doug, would you mind posting a few pictures of how you set this up? I have my pc racked, but still struggling to find a solution that works with my cases and is fast to set up and tear down. Currently I have my 17" screen in a standard photo type case, but there is quite some wiring to do before I'm set.

Others that have working DIY solutions for screens and keyboard, please chime in. Currently I'm thinking of setting my pc and laptop with fixed IP's and just use the pc without screen, remoting into it with the laptop (RDP). Downside is, if I did anything wrong with network settings, I will not get access to the pc without a screen.

My set up is more or less the same as David's photos above, minus the screws.... my case lid just sits between the flight case and mouse board and lies back at the natural angle that the space between the 2 parts provides.
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    SAC Host: Rack mount PC with Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo, RME HDSP9652 soundcard. 3 x M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps. Main SAC Remote: Toshiba Tecra laptop with Intel T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU (Doubles up for use as back up host via FW to Profire).
    3 x CM Labs Motor Mix control surfaces.
    SAC Wireless 'wander the room / stage' Remote: Asus EeePC HA1101 Netbook.

10. Default Re: Rackmount LCD's

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    Hi Anton,

Here are some pics. The rack is not quite done (needs paint and some trim) but cost me about $75 total, including plywood. Top, front, and back detach. After the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and wireless router are removed, I reattach the top and use that as my work surface.

I want to get some nicer foam - I got the green stuff on sale at JoAnn fabric for about $3. The computer is not physically attached, but is wedged in with foam and secured with a wooden brace on the front and back. Quite sturdy actually.

Someday we will get a more professional set-up but for now, essentially all of the money we raise goes towards our cause (the fight against cancer) so we are building everything that we can, including our cabs.

Doug

Attachment 776
    Attachment 777
    Attachment 778
    Attachment 779
    Attachment 780