Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default laptop for sac saw

Would this be okay for SAC with multiface 16 channels and saw.?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3297wt_958

they don't make laptops with PCMCIA or Firewire anymore.

Default Re: laptop for sac saw

It would probably be fine. I run 16 channels/3 monitor mixes with a Toshiba 1.6G Centrino and a Multiface with no problems. 12% load.
    -Craig

Frankly I would look for a laptop that has a Core Duo in it. Also watchout for the laptops that use desktop CPUs. That usually means a lot of heat and hence the fans are usually always on full speed and they sound like a leaf blower running. At least that was my experience with several HP laptops that used desktop CPUs.

PCMCIA may be gone but you can get Laptops with an ExpressCard slot and get an ExpressCard for your Multiface.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Well, I respectfully disagree with Richard.

I can't guarantee this will work, of course, but the fact that it's a single core very fast Intel chip makes it a very strong contender IMO.

I have MUCH slower Pentium M laptops, and they run SAC just fine.

I seem to be one of the few with a bad experience with Core2Duo chips, so until I can try before I buy, I'll stick with Pentium Ms.

Ira
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

express cards are becoming rare too. I just bought a Lenovo think pad edge. The guy at best buy said with express card. I get home no express card. SO I kept it for internet. No firewire either.
    I do believe the duocore confuses things. This lenovo has problems running Saw with 10 tracks and no plug ins. And difficult to tweak a Windows 7.
    Last edited by paul kostabi; 04-15-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post

I can't guarantee this will work, of course, but the fact that it's a single core very fast Intel chip makes it a very strong contender IMO.

I seem to be one of the few with a bad experience with Core2Duo chips, so until I can try before I buy, I'll stick with Pentium Ms.

Ira
    Well I'll bow to the experience of you laptop SAC commandos.

I was looking at it more from the prospect of buying fairly old technology. But there is obviously something to be said about compatibility as well.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

they don't make laptops with PCMCIA or Firewire anymore.
    ?
    Maybe not on the super-low-end, but most reputable manufacturers have 1394 ports and expresscard on their more powerful laptops. I'm using a new HP right now that has both of those, plus a 1920x1080 screen.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound
    http://www.ssrrentals.com

Quote Originally Posted by paul kostabi View Post
    express cards are becoming rare too. I just bought a Lenovo think pad edge. The guy at best buy said with express card. I get home no express card. SO I kept it for internet. No firewire either.
    I do believe the duocore confuses things. This lenovo has problems running Saw with 10 tracks and no plug ins. And difficult to tweak a Windows 7.
    That sucks. Listening to the kid at Best Buy was probably mistake #1. That's like the WalMart for electronics. If you don't want the lowest common denominator for a product (or a sales person for that matter) it's OK. But you'll likely get better service and many times save money in the long run by avoiding Best Boob. Just saying...

Having said that the Edge stuff seems to concentrate on being light and portable. Probably not the best feature set if you want a portable DAW.

It doesn't surprise me though that it's getting harder to get laptops with card slots of any kind. For the average user they just go unused, so why bother. Too bad for folks like us. But that's always been the way it goes, we end up trying to take a consumer product and then jump through hoops to make it into a professional tool. It sucks but that's the unfortunate reality.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post

Ira
    That is amazing. I recently purchased a used IBM T42 thinkpad, some 5 or 6 years old. My intention is to use it for remoting, among other things. It's an unexpected bonus to learn that it would also run SAC by itself. Do you think it would run my small band system? My needs are typically up to 16 channels, FOH + 2xMON and a bit of processing (dynamics, EQ, two AUX verbs for vocals and drums, dual LR on the outputs).
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    That is amazing. I recently purchased a used IBM T42 thinkpad, some 5 or 6 years old. My intention is to use it for remoting, among other things. It's an unexpected bonus to learn that it would also run SAC by itself. Do you think it would run my small band system? My needs are typically up to 16 channels, FOH + 2xMON and a bit of processing (dynamics, EQ, two AUX verbs for vocals and drums, dual LR on the outputs).
    I have a T42 and a T43p just dedicated to SAC FOH and monitors, respectively. Cardbus interfaces to Digifaces. Absolutely no problems, no slipped buffers, very dependable.

I also have a T500 which I'd hoped would be my SAC computer, but I couldn't get it to work properly. I have a T40 that I've used with SS Basic for awhile with no problems.

I don't own any shares of IBM or Lenovo.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;