Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default OT - FTP Clients

My ISP is Network Solutions. They recently down for about a day while they dumbgraded their servers.

I was fine with Filezilla and now it won't connect to the server. I have to find time to look into this but in the meantime I've been going through my NetSol account manager to upload files (major PITA w/many multiple clicks, permission and waiting for flash to load, huh?).

What are the masses "in the know" using?

TIA,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

2. Default Re: OT - FTP Clients

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    My ISP is Network Solutions. They recently down for about a day while they dumbgraded their servers.

I was fine with Filezilla and now it won't connect to the server. I have to find time to look into this but in the meantime I've been going through my NetSol account manager to upload files (major PITA w/many multiple clicks, permission and waiting for flash to load, huh?).

TIA,
    Bill
    Did they happen to change it from FTP to SFTP?

Default Re: OT - FTP Clients

TIA,
    Bill
    I bet it's not a Filezilla problem, but rather a Filezilla setting that needs to be changed since your host's changes.

I've never had a problem with Filezilla. But I'll be following your saga, here, Bill.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Probably something like SFTP. I sent them an email hoping they'll give me all the details. Maybe I'll have to get "Cute" instead.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions

YouSendIt... it's hard to argue with the convenience of services like this. I spend less time talking my clients through the whole FTP 'process' these days.

You send it was cool when they let you send a gig.
    They're down to 100 Mb now. I do use them regularly but often have to send upwards of 500 Mb, Zipped!

There's Send Big Files too, up to 500 Mb.

Bill Corkery Productions

You send it was cool when they let you send a gig.
    They're down to 100 Mb now. I do use them regularly but often have to send upwards of 500 Mb, Zipped!

There's Send Big Files too, up to 500 Mb.
    Last time I used Pando they still allowed 1 Gb files. YouSendIt was 250 Mb when I used them just a couple of weeks ago. I still prefer FTP, but it's true that these services are pretty idiot-proof.

I haven't explained ftp to clients in several years. I use ftp myself to upload files to pages like www.mywebsite.com/greatclient. That's not a real link, but it looks like one, doesn't it? If there are multiple files, I zip 'em so it's a one-step download for the client. I email them a link to the page and they right click and Save Target As. All HTTP browser stuff for them. When they have the file, I delete the whole page. No links to the pages ever appear anywhere else on the site so no bots can find them. Clients can forward the emails to their production people, etc.

To Bill's situation, I assume you meant host, not ISP. Cary Cornett pointed me to 1and1.com when I needed a new host a few years ago. They actually answer their phone and give tech support. I've called on two occasions and they've known exactly how to solve my problem. (I mean the internet related problems.) Maybe your host has a phone number?

Hope your situation works out quickly for you.

And to answer your original question, I use Ipswitch's WS_FTP Pro. I paid actual cash money for it. It's intuitive, drag and drop, never seems to have a problem.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

I do something similar to what Ian does. I write an html page with file links specific to the client and upload that with the sound files to my host site. (You should always have complete access to your host server.) Then give the client the "private" page URL. If they need to send me large files, then I'll explain the whole FTP thing to them. Doesn't happen very often.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

I do the webpage thing as well. I have a page on my site with no links other than the one I send my clients. As Bill does, I zip the files so it's a one-click download. When they notify me they have downloaded the file, I delete it.

Then there's always the client who can't unzip a file ....

Mark