Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Computer Coxial SPDIF port questions!

Ok After talking to Bob last night he said that I could use the out SPDIF on the computer to the in SPDIF on the Raydat card to play playback music. When I tried to set it up I never could get any input into SAC. If I opened the total mix program I could get audio at the inputs and I could pass it on to the outputs but still never could get the input into SAC. I am not sure whey SAC won't recognize the SPDIF in on the Raydat. I did go to audio setup and the SPDIF port is there. I assigned the channels to the SPDIF and I selected that as my I/O like all the other inputs but still no SPDIF input into SAC. Any ideas?
    Connif Boudoin
    New Iberia/Lafayette, Louisiana Area
    T-N-C Productions

SAC Host-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16, XP, 4GB ram, 1 x 80GB SATA SSD, 1 x 320 GB SATA, 1 500GB SATA, SAC 2.9 with Anwida Reverb Light and SAW Studio Freeverb, 2 RME Raydat cards, 2 23" Acer Monitors, Presonus Digimax FS 8 preamps. 58 inputs, 32 outputs.

SAC Remote-Dell Desktop, Windows XP, 512 MB ram, 1 x 250 GB HD, SAC 2.9, 2 23" LG Monitors and 1 Behringer Fader pack, Other Remote PC's IBM T-43, T-400, Aconia W500

Default Re: Computer Coxial SPDIF port questions!

I tried this too and never could get it to work.

I did manage to get the AES in/out connected together to work and that's what I'm using.
    Tom ~
    ---------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P; Intel E8500 3.16Ghz; 4Mb Corsair Dominator; 160gb WD Sata; Powercolor PCS AX4670 Video; RMERaydat; 3xADA8000; 4u Dynapower Case
    40 Chnl with Dyn & EQ = 17-18% CPU

There is usually an option in the RME driver that changes formats for the spdif connector... make sure to set that up to coaxial in and standard type format... some drivers give the option to format it as adat.

Also... make sure SAC does not have the spdif out seleceted as one of its devices in the audio device setup... set that device to none and leave it for the Windows default sound device in the Windows Control Panel.

Bob L

Bob as far as I can see that is how I have it setup. The HDSPe mixer sees the input music I am playing from Windows media player and I can make it play on it own but I can not get any control within SAC. No output SPDIF is assigned and the input under audio devices is set to 49 and 50. In SAC I set channel 49 as a stereo device for the SPDIF input. Never can I get any input LEDs when I start the Live Engine. All my mics still work but no SPDIF. I also tried the same with AES input no luck. Both will play if I use the raydat mixer.
    Thanks
    Connif Boudoin
    T-N-C Productions

SAC Host-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16, XP, 4GB ram, 1 x 80GB SATA SSD, 1 x 320 GB SATA, 1 500GB SATA, SAC 2.9 with Anwida Reverb Light and SAW Studio Freeverb, 2 RME Raydat cards, 2 23" Acer Monitors, Presonus Digimax FS 8 preamps. 58 inputs, 32 outputs.

SAC Remote-Dell Desktop, Windows XP, 512 MB ram, 1 x 250 GB HD, SAC 2.9, 2 23" LG Monitors and 1 Behringer Fader pack, Other Remote PC's IBM T-43, T-400, Aconia W500

Perhaps it has to do with the routing setup in TotalMix... look at the matrix view and make sure the spdif is passed straight thru on a 1 to 1 basis like the rest of the input chans.

Bob L

Bob it appears to be the same as the other in the matrix. When you bring up that mixer it shows it as input 35 and 36. I can raise the volume in total mix and it will play out the PA. It appears that you can make it a direct connection with in total mix but i never get that input in SAC. I have my mic plugged into input 1 on adat one and I can see the leds the same way I see them for the SPDIF in total mix, I can slide the slider in total mix for the mic just as I can for the SPDIF and I can get volume through the PA on both. When I start up SAC and assign the I/O I can never get any input into SAC like it doesn't have connection into SAC. If I look at the driver setting I can see it sync up just like the adat preamp does. If I remove the jumper from SPDIF out to the in, the sync goes away. Still looking for a way. I messed with this thing till 3:00am this morning with no luck. I might just go back to the original sound card and plug a jumper from the earphone jack to the last 2 inputs on my last preamp. I was just trying to keep the inputs free if I didn't need them. I figured if I had the inputs why not use them, but I can't seem to get it to work. Stuff like this drives me bananas because I won't stop till I can get it working now just because I can't. LOL If anybody else has any ideas let me know.
    Thanks
    Connif Boudoin
    T-N-C Productions

7. Default Re: Computer Coxial SPDIF port questions!

Connif

Are you sure that the Raydat SPDIF Out is not assigned in the SAC Audio Output section? Here is a Screen shot of what we're talking about. When I was setting this up, I was getting confused on semantics. Somewhere one of the audio outs ( like the highlighted section of the attached screen shot) is assigned to the RayDat SPDIF Out. Use the Up/Down arrows in the upper left corner of the Pop up box to page through all of the RayDat's Outputs. Change the SPDIF to "Not Assigned".
    Attachment 799

That's the problem I had for a while....I didn't remove the SPDIF from my SAC List. Works great now.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Post Re: Computer Coxial SPDIF port questions!

Lets see if we can find the problem.

If I follow your post correctly, you're getting signal to the SPDIF output and it is looping back into the SPDIF input. This would be indicated by the presence of signal on the meters in totalmix.

From here we know if the problem is before or after the loopback.

If you're getting signal at the SPDIF input and outpou in totalmix, unpluging the loopback cable should cause the input signal to go away but the output should remain.

I just set this up on my system Thursday, using winamp as the player. Just set SPDIF as the default windows sound device.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together." -Red Green
    Phil

E8500 2gig XP SP3 DIGI9652 ADA8000 x3

Hey Phil, you are exactly right. That is why I felt that everything was setup correctly. Just to try I am using windows media player. Went to control panel sounds and audio devices. Switched device playback to Raydat SPDIF. No problem there. Then I went to Windows media player and clicked on Tools then Options and then devices to check to make sure the media player was using the correct sound device. Shows Direct Sound Raydat SPDIF. No problem there. Started a song in media player. I opened up total mix and I do see the output playing. I also see audio at the input in totalmix. If I disconnect the looped cables at the rear of the PC (red looped back to white) the audio at the input in totalmix does go away. With that said there is still no input signal coming up in SAC even if I assign the SPDIF input to a channel. Again I can produce audio without SAC through total mix but no control in SAC. Not sure what to check next. I did verify several times that I do not have the SPDIF output assigned in SAC. It is in the list but it is not assigned anywhere in SAC. Just can never get input. I feel like SAC can't seem to get the audio from this hardware input for some reason. This is a clean install of Windows XP on a brand new computer. It has on board audio. I tried disabling the on board audio and that doesn't seem to help either.

One thing I wasn't sure about was installing the drivers. I never installed the CD that came with the Raydat. I only ran the driver install and the firmware like someone suggested. Could this be the problem? Does the CD install something else that may be needed that maybe wasn't installed in driver install I did?
    Thanks
    Connif Boudoin
    T-N-C Productions