Close

1. Default VST tails at play start

Is there a setting or a different way to start playback in SAW or is it something I need to look into in my plugs? In both VST and VST i get the tails at play startup from when I stopped playback the previous time.

Let me know.

Dave
    SAC and SAWLite
    Windows 7 on HP Elitebook 8460p laptop, RME Digiface, Presonus Digimax FS Preamps

Default Re: VST tails at play start

There is nothing that you can do about that... it is the vst plug... they were designed for DAWs that normnally nevber shutdown the engine... SS starts and stops the engine, freeing up the soundcard for other use in between... this allowed for playing nice when two or three apps were open at the same time.

I have never found a clean way to clear out and reset all buffers within all vst plugs... some respond to my methods and others don't... this has been one of the main vst issues always... they are all interpretted differently from the next... the docs were alwys extremely vague, in my opinion.

You can start the engine in live mode... then when you start and stop playback, the engine will cycle immediately back to live mode... hopefully allowing the tails to ring out and die away before you then start playback again.

Bob L

Default Re: VST tails at play start

To my knowledge, this is a universal problem with VST VI's. On the Mac side, Logic has never been able to correct for this either. A royal pain.

4. Default Re: VST tails at play start

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    To my knowledge, this is a universal problem with VST VI's. On the Mac side, Logic has never been able to correct for this either. A royal pain.
    Yes I hear you - I was getting sick of having the tails creep into the start of an audio recording.

Bob's trick of going into Live mode before pressing play seems to be doing a good job clearing the tails out with my recording over the last few days.

dave
    SAC and SAWLite
    Windows 7 on HP Elitebook 8460p laptop, RME Digiface, Presonus Digimax FS Preamps

Lightbulb Re: VST tails at play start

A simple "workaround" or "solution" -- if you don't mind two extra keystrokes -- is to hit the spacebar twice very quickly, thus, starting and stopping playback immediately...then hit the spacebar to start playback (as usual).

In my experience, the spacebar double-hit cleans up the VST "residue" so that playback is clean. In fact, I do this before building a mix..."just in case."

Outside of SAWStudio...I quickly start/stop Windows Media Player before playing a file. I find that, if I don't do this, I usually get a click or pop about a second or so into the song (or program material). So I guess this issue is not totally limited to VSTs, per sé.

HTH,
    Míke È. Déè