Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question SAWStudio timing problem

Hi all,

I use SAWStudio for a long time now to make DJ mixes. I lay down a couple of tracks, use some EQ and fader automation and when I finish with the mix I bounce the whole mix to one soundfile.
    The problem right now is, that when the Mixdown is complete, the tracks are out of sync. They like stutter because the beats are not right "under each other". They are not 'beat-matched' anymore while in the Mulitrack everything sounds tight... What's wrong here? I tried different settings but nothing seems to work...

I work on Windows 7 64bit and have set SAWStudio to use my MOTU ASIO driver and I disabled desktop composition.
    www.djsynchro.nl

Default Re: SAWStudio timing problem

If it plays back from the MT perfect... then the BuildMix operation should be the same result...

If you are using certain vst samplers and synths, there have been issues with some of them not keeping up with the speed of the buildmix operation, which should be faster than realtime... and in that case you would have to do a realtime playback and re-record... the same as mixing down from a multitrack tape deck.

Bob L

3. Arrow Re: SAWStudio timing problem

Thanks for the answer Bob,

A plugin could be the cause indeed... I remember from the past that certain plugs did actually cause strange problems... Does SAWStudio automatically scans for and ads the VST plugins I install on my system in the 'Program Files\Steinberg\VST Plugins' folder? I use Cubase to produce music but I don't use any of the plugs in SAWStudio at all...

Regards,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    If it plays back from the MT perfect... then the BuildMix operation should be the same result...

If you are using certain vst samplers and synths, there have been issues with some of them not keeping up with the speed of the buildmix operation, which should be faster than realtime... and in that case you would have to do a realtime playback and re-record... the same as mixing down from a multitrack tape deck.

Bob L
    www.djsynchro.nl

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

Bob L
    WOW, I didnt realize this...Hmmm
    Carey A. Langille
    Producer/Engineer
    Ocean Sound Productions
    www.oceansoundstudio.com
    Creativity at the Speed of Sound

Rob,

No... SAWStudio will find installed DirectX plugins but not VST plugs... you can read the helpfile section on how to link into installed VST plugs on your system.

Bob L

6. Arrow Re: SAWStudio timing problem

Bob,

I see SAWStudio has added a couple of my Waves plugins, however I didn't use any of them in the project. I'd hate to have to de-install the Waves plug-ins just for the mixdown to be correct. Is there any other way? Perhaps set SAWStudio not to automatically add the Direct-X plug-ins on start-up?
    The strange thing is that this never happened before...?

[edit] I de-installed the Waves plugins after all, but that didn't solve the problem! I'm quite frustrated now, cause I don't want to record my session in realtime, that will cost to much time every time I make a mix [/edit]
    Last edited by DJ Synchro; 07-09-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added some lines to clarify things
    www.djsynchro.nl

I would try to find the plug-in that is causing the slowdown and render that track(s) first and then do a buildmix of the whole MT.
    I just assumed the buildmix mix would wait for the track with the highest processing demands.

Someone recently pointed me to an Extreme Tech article about Win 7, wherein the 64 bit version comes into question because of software/plugs, ASIO/audio interfaces, and the random combination of those options causing (unspecified) problems.

This isn't my field, but I wonder if any of that could be causing some of your problem? Also, MOTU apparently still remains a question mark in PC audio interfaces, with their products being rock solid for some users, and useless for other users. (you'll find both varieties of user on this board.)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Synchro View Post
    Bob,

I see SAWStudio has added a couple of my Waves plugins, however I didn't use any of them in the project. I'd hate to have to de-install the Waves plug-ins just for the mixdown to be correct. Is there any other way? Perhaps set SAWStudio not to automatically add the Direct-X plug-ins on start-up?
    The strange thing is that this never happened before...?

[edit] I de-installed the Waves plugins after all, but that didn't solve the problem! I'm quite frustrated now, cause I don't want to record my session in realtime, that will cost to much time every time I make a mix [/edit]
    Having certain plugs in the list of available FX should not do anything to your session or your mixdown. You have to patch them into that session. Sorry you went through the trouble of uninstalling them.

Can you tell which track is getting out of sync in the mix? If so, follow Grekim's idea and process that track alone, then mix the session. If a plug on the problem track needs to process in real time, patch the output into another input and record it on an unused track. If the plugs on that track really do have timing issues, you may have to slip the processed track back into sync. Once you do, you can buildmix with no trouble.

If you can tell which track is the problem, let us know what plugs you're using on it. Others here may have experience with thse plugs in SawStudio.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

10. Arrow Re: SAWStudio timing problem

Like I said, there is now plugin used or even installed for that matter. All I do is lay down some tracks and use EQ and Fader automation on them, that's all!

I wonder if my harddisk could be the problem? The tracks and mixdown are on the same partition... Al though this was never a problem... I'll do some more investigation...

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    I would try to find the plug-in that is causing the slowdown and render that track(s) first and then do a buildmix of the whole MT.
    I just assumed the buildmix mix would wait for the track with the highest processing demands.
    www.djsynchro.nl