Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: OT - How to Become a Voice?

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Most Voice Talent are members of AFTRA if they are represented by a union at all. SAG is usually used more for film and indie film contracts.

But all these actor, voice talent, screen talent unions are always fighting each other for membership and jurisdictions, etc... They rarely get along. Even though there is so little worth fighting over.
    side note: The ratio of members doing free-lance to members successfully doing full time free lance is quite large.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I don't think I've ever had an AFTRA member turn me down for V.O. work off the card if the pay was similar to single scale. Most are happy to get the work.

Last couple of times I checked going with Studio Center non -union talent, they wanted to charge me more than paying L.A. scale locally.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    side note: The ratio of members doing free-lance to members successfully doing full time free lance is quite large.
    Yea well any of them are better than Equity, maybe? At any given point in time 95% of Actors Equity members are unemployed. Schools hate it when I tell the students that.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

The great William Shatner in a voiceover session. He destroys this poor producer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMV1bwXyi54

Quote Originally Posted by Demodave View Post
    The great William Shatner in a voiceover session. He destroys this poor producer...

It's really funny, but it does reveal Shatner's huge ego (and ultimate insecurity, therefore), I think. Poor producer.

I do love Shatner's comic gifts and the way he's been able to use them in recent years.

One
    Two
    Three
    Four
    Five
    Six (oops)
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Six (oops)
    It does get worse...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

I wish I could find the one where Orson Welles is supposed to be voicing an ad for frozen peas and ends up storming out of the booth in a rage! Now THAT was losing it!

By contrast, Shatner taking that poor producer to task was a model of arch comic subtlety. Notice that he does not raise his voice, just keeps the riff going... right over the cliff. Part of the lore of VO work, from what I heard when I was a tech a studio that specialized in that, is how some producers are, well, full of themselves.

Then there was that gag reel I heard decades ago, with one particular classic. Wonder how many experiences like that Shatner had before he gave that one poor guy what for?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    I wish I could find the one where Orson Welles is supposed to be voicing an ad for frozen peas and ends up storming out of the booth in a rage! Now THAT was losing it!
    Like this?
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Then there was that gag reel I heard decades ago, with one particular classic. Wonder how many experiences like that Shatner had before he gave that one poor guy what for?
    That is funny. I like that it shows the insecure producer who's looking to the engineer for guidance. I've been there.

It's kind of funny when you, as the engineer in a big-time session, feel like you know more than the young producer about what's what. But you gotta stay on your toes. A few weeks back I got lazy and was just doing the engineering stuff, not really paying attention to the performance in any detail, when the producer at the other end of the line says, "Yeah, I think that was good. Dave, what'd you think?"

Huh? Wha... ?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Apparently, the man had issues...
    Becket, Massachusetts