Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Preload Buffers, Buffer Size and Latency

The PCI busses are 16 and 17.

The RAYDat Card is showing IRQ 16 as is the Intel Integrated Graphics, Ethernet is running on IRQ 17.

So it may be graphics engine IRQ conflict although the device listing shows no Conflict in the hardware.

There doesn't appear to be a way to change the IRQ assignment.

IRQs are set automatically by the Plug'n'play OS routines. The BIOS does not give me the option to change the PCI Buss or Graphics controller IRQs.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 07-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    The PCI busses are 16 and 17.

The RAYDat Card is showing IRQ 16 as is the Intel Integrated Graphics, Ethernet is running on IRQ 17.

So it may be graphics engine IRQ conflict although the device listing shows no Conflict in the hardware.

There doesn't appear to be a way to change the IRQ assignment.

IRQs are set automatically by the Plug'n'play OS routines. The BIOS does not give me the option to change the PCI Buss or Graphics controller IRQs.
    Try a different PCIe slot if you've got one. That will hopefully put you on a different IRQ. Sharing with the onboard graphics may be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    I am using an I5 and the on board graphics with no problems at all. I can run 2/32 and no slipped buffers. Its an Asus mother board.

Butch
    Ok.. so I've updated the BIOS, updated the RayDAT firmware and drivers removed as many un-needed processes as I can (I'm down to 23).

I haven't been able to move the card into a different PCI slot or try a stand alone video card yet as I have to disassemble the case to do it (its a small case)

I'm still getting dropped buffers as soon as the remote connects and syncs with the host.

Then pretty much at regular 2-3 second intervals I'm getting a dropped buffer.

I was going to try removing the intel graphics drivers and see if that makes a difference, but thought I'd ask what specific motherboard and PCI slot your using for your system.

I'm also using an ASUS mother board P7H55-M EVO with a Clarkdale i5 running at 3.2 GHz native.
    Philip G.

Have you turned OFF HyperThreading so you only see two cpus in the task manager?

Also... if the slipped buffers seem to be connected with the remote, then perhaps the network is what is stepping on the engine or soundcard drivers.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Have you turned OFF HyperThreading so you only see two cpus in the task manager?

Also... if the slipped buffers seem to be connected with the remote, then perhaps the network is what is stepping on the engine or soundcard drivers.

Bob L
    Yes, Hyperthreading is off. I've even shut the CPU down to a single core.

The network is a single private wireless interconnect.

Host System connected via ethernet with a fixed IP to the the Wireless Router.

Acer netbook connected via DHCP to wireless network.

I though about trying a wired network connection to see if that made a difference but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.
    Philip G.

Have you tried disabling devices that aren't in use, such as a floppy controller, a modem, and onboard sound? Sometimes this can be done in the BIOS, preventing the drivers from loading at all.

You may also have a bad stick of RAM. If you have more than one, try removing one at a time to see if it changes anything. If you have only one, try it in a different slot, or acquire another stick for testing.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    Have you tried disabling devices that aren't in use, such as a floppy controller, a modem, and onboard sound? Sometimes this can be done in the BIOS, preventing the drivers from loading at all.

You may also have a bad stick of RAM. If you have more than one, try removing one at a time to see if it changes anything. If you have only one, try it in a different slot, or acquire another stick for testing.
    No Floppy
    No Modem
    On-board Sound drivers where never installed

The system is stable at 1x64 (no dropped buffers), so not really likely a RAM problem, but I'll try pulling on and the swapping the two.

I thought it might be the file sharing settings as I hadn't enabled that, but it didn't make any difference even after setting that up.
    Philip G.

Just for clarification - even if you don't have a floppy or onboard sound installed in windows, their controllers might still be active in BIOS. Double check that all onboard devices not in use are disabled in BIOS if it allows such.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Default Re: Preload Buffers.... Dropped buffers follow-up

Ok..

I've stripped the system to a minimum. I've swapped memory, removed the display drivers, relocated the RayDAT card into every slot, adjusted display memory allocations, turned off one of the cores, removed the wireless remote and tried it connected directly, tried a different remote computer, switched display ports (DVI, HDMI).

ALL with the same result. The system under XP Pro is stable at 2x32 until I connect with a remote system, at which point every 4-5 seconds it drops an output buffer.

1x64 is pretty solid with only an occasional buffer lapse and I'm sure 2x64 would be bedrock.

I was thinking about running as a single-core and OC from 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz to see if that would be sufficient to alleviate the issue.

I loaded windows 7 as a test and was able to get no dropped buffers at 2x32. So.. I'm gonna try a win7 configuration.

SAC shows about 10% higher load under win7, but I was able to run a short test without dropping any buffers.

There is clearly a lot more tinkering with win7 needed as there 50+ processes running after the initial install. Lots of things will need to be optimized for SAC.

If there are current win7 users that have a tweaks list, that would be most appreciated.
    Philip G.