Hi Guys,
I’m looking to upgrade my computer. I’ve already purchased a RME RayDat PCIe as my audio card. This is my 1st time building a computer, and I want to build an ideal system for Saw. I’m not worried about spending money (can go as high a $2,500), but I don’t want to waste money of components that will not be utilized. I do use a lot of plug-ins, and I am looking to add convolution reverb to the list. These are some of the questions I’ve come against:
· Ram speed is important, but is DDR3 2000 – 2400 overkill
· How much Ram is too much (3 or 4 Gig enough or would 8 help – 12 too much?) – Win 7 64bit worth it or stick with XP 32 (I know this one is a hot topic around here)
· i7 960 – is that over-kill – should I consider AMD instead
· Speed of hard drive – 10,000 RPM or solid state – do they help – I’ve heard that the solid states run hot and sometimes blow out – Should Saw and/or the audio folder be on a separate drive from the OS? What is the best hard drive configuration
· As far as motherboard – I will probably make that decision based on the processor and ram I choose – I would like something with USB3 incase a new toy comes out
· Graphics Card – dual monitor and stay out of the way of Saw – I only do audio
· Power supply (how big?) cooling (liquid or quiet fan) Case?
Based on this (and anything I’ve missed) could you guys give me your opinion on the specs for an ideal system?
Thanks!