Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SAC Into SAW!

Default Re: SAC Into SAW!

Quote Originally Posted by connifboudoin View Post
    Hey Thanks for the tape it link. I have tried it out and will probably use this for the gig. I see it only records to wav file. Eats up quite a bit of Hardrive space. I didn't actually need a wav file, an MP3 at 128 would have sufficed but it doesn't look like that is offered anywhere in a VST yet. Bill I want to thank you for your offer. I know you are always willing to help and your phone number is a call away. I just don't think I am ready to go the full individual track recording yet. I will keep playing with the setup for SAW and see what I can learn. I was able to get it to show the tracks in SAW with the links you talked about. Just don't understand the concept yet. It has the link to record now that I downloaded the right version of the Demo. What do you use to play it back once you have stored a recording? Do I need separate outputs or will it play back through SAC or some other way?
    Thanks
    With a 320GB drive you've got quite a bit of recording time available. I wouldn't worry about WAV files. 24/48Khz stereo takes about 1GB/hour. Record it, hand it over, dump it.

This is the kind of thing that calls for a short video demo.Anyone have screen capture?

I just don't think I am ready to go the full individual track recording yet. I will keep playing with the setup for SAW and see what I can learn. I was able to get it to show the tracks in SAW with the links you talked about. Just don't understand the concept yet. It has the link to record now that I downloaded the right version of the Demo. What do you use to play it back once you have stored a recording? Do I need separate outputs or will it play back through SAC or some other way?
    Thanks
    Well SAW is a full blown DAW, so you play the tracks back in SAW. If you have the SAC-SAW link engaged then that link is bidirectional. Meaning that you can record input channels in SAC into SAW. And then you can playback those audio tracks in SAW and each track in SAW can appear on an input in SAC, or you can mix down the audio in SAW and then just route an output in SAW to an input in SAC.

Think of the set up as SAC is your mixing console and SAW is a fancy tape deck. Obviosuly an over simplification, but at it's core, that is how it works.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Yup, and if you want to try something else there's one from Voxengo too: http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/
    They warn of a crash under certain stop conditions.... but not matter what I tried - it wouldn't crash nor crash anything else. Plus it has a more intuitive GUI than Tape It.

However, I would be looking forward to the "option" of recording a SAC outputs into SAW (new virtual 'output' tap points).
    Last edited by Carl G.; 08-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post

Think of the set up as SAC is your mixing console and SAW is a fancy tape deck. Obviosuly an over simplification, but at it's core, that is how it works.
    Did this very thing last night, in mixing down a house concert that I mixed and recorded 2 weeks ago. Wow is all I can say..so easy. Even though I've owned SAW for about 8 months....this was my first in depth foray into SAW and I am amazed.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Ok I got it to record and I now have it playing back in SAC. Thanks for the input about choosing a channel in SAC to play it back in. Now i just need to learn how to move around and edit the tracks in SAW now that I can here what i have recorded. On the other issue about recording the outputs, I created a matrix out and assigned it to one of the spare outputs on my Presonus preamps. I took that feed and wired it back to an input channel and now I can insert that channel into any monitor mix in SAC. This gives me the opportunity to have a FOH mix in any SAC monitor mix output that someone with ears can listen to with just a little bit more of ME! Works well.
    Thanks
    Connif Boudoin
    New Iberia/Lafayette, Louisiana Area
    T-N-C Productions

SAC Host-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16, XP, 4GB ram, 1 x 80GB SATA SSD, 1 x 320 GB SATA, 1 500GB SATA, SAC 2.9 with Anwida Reverb Light and SAW Studio Freeverb, 2 RME Raydat cards, 2 23" Acer Monitors, Presonus Digimax FS 8 preamps. 58 inputs, 32 outputs.

SAC Remote-Dell Desktop, Windows XP, 512 MB ram, 1 x 250 GB HD, SAC 2.9, 2 23" LG Monitors and 1 Behringer Fader pack, Other Remote PC's IBM T-43, T-400, Aconia W500

Ok I got it to record and I now have it playing back in SAC. Thanks for the input about choosing a channel in SAC to play it back in. Now i just need to learn how to move around and edit the tracks in SAW now that I can here what i have recorded. On the other issue about recording the outputs, I created a matrix out and assigned it to one of the spare outputs on my Presonus preamps. I took that feed and wired it back to an input channel and now I can insert that channel into any monitor mix in SAC. This gives me the opportunity to have a FOH mix in any SAC monitor mix output that someone with ears can listen to with just a little bit more of ME! Works well.
    Thanks
    You realize by doing that, that you just doubled the latency in that FOH mix you're sending to them.

Just curious but why are you doing that?
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

8. Default Re: SAC Into SAW!

Thanks
    You can do this within SAC. No need to over complicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
    You can do this within SAC. No need to over complicate it.
    I'm all ears? I can't find a way to get my FOH mix at output 1 into a monitor mix without creating the mix again in a monitor mix with all taps at post fader. Also my Aux's are used for effects and inserted into the mains. So even if I create that mix on a monitor mix I still don't get the effects in that mix because they are inserted after the input faders into the main mix. If you could assign an output from the FOH mixer into one of the monitor mixers, that would be easy. I brought this up once before and didn't like the ways that everyone came up with. They all involved creating some type of mix on a monitor mix. I just want FOH (total mix) at the monitor nothing complicated. I can create a FOH mix in a monitor mix but I can't bring what is routed to FOH output 1 as a total mix into a monitor mix.

I created another FOH mix and assigned it to output 3. That became my Matrix mix. So on my faders I assigned the outputs to output 1 for mains and output 3 for Matrix. I can also assign any subgroup to the output 3 matrix also, so I can get more of any subgroup I created into that matrix. I asked Bob and the program just doesn't allow you to assign an output from FOH into a Monitor mix.
    Thanks
    Connif Boudoin
    New Iberia/Lafayette, Louisiana Area
    T-N-C Productions

SAC Host-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16, XP, 4GB ram, 1 x 80GB SATA SSD, 1 x 320 GB SATA, 1 500GB SATA, SAC 2.9 with Anwida Reverb Light and SAW Studio Freeverb, 2 RME Raydat cards, 2 23" Acer Monitors, Presonus Digimax FS 8 preamps. 58 inputs, 32 outputs.

SAC Remote-Dell Desktop, Windows XP, 512 MB ram, 1 x 250 GB HD, SAC 2.9, 2 23" LG Monitors and 1 Behringer Fader pack, Other Remote PC's IBM T-43, T-400, Aconia W500

If all you want to do is duplicate the FOH master out and send it somewhere else... just assign the same mix to another master out and feed the destination from there... its the same mix with a separate master level control.

Or... assign the entire FOH mix first into a subgroup like Out 9, then assign that back to any combination of master outs for different feeds.

The idea of the separate monitor mixers is so you can create different mixes, not duplicates...

If you assign a monitor mixer to tap post fader, and also assign the aux returns to tap post fader, then the monitor mix should follow the FOH mix and you can then offset anything you want to create a different monitor mix that chases the FOH mix with the differences.

Bob L