Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default OT: Vocal mic Neumann KMS104/105 or Shure KSM9

Hi. I have a dilemma which vocal mics should I go for, so I'm asking for help.

The goal is to change all SM58 and beta85 to something better, with better feedback rejection. Last time I was working with Neumann 104 and I could turn PA and MON volume very high and it was still not even close to feedback, while on same volume SM58 or beta58 would feedback all over the place .

Anyone have any experiences with those 3 models. The price is the same.

Neumann KMS104 = cardioid pattern
    Neumann KMS105 = supercardioid pattern
    Shure KSM9 = cardioid/supercardioid switchable

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Br,
    Dali

Default Re: OT: Vocal mic Neumann KMS104/105 or Shure KSM9

I replaced all our SM58's with Electro Voice ND767a's

They are inexpensive (street price in the $80 range), with better freq response than the 58's and much better feedback rejection.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

The 105 is great. I gave it to Jimmy Messina a couple weeks ago and he loved it.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

4. Default Re: OT: Vocal mic Neumann KMS104/105 or Shure KSM9

It really depends on the music style and the stage volume. Both mikes sound fantastic but you will have to deal with lots of spillover, when a loud rocking band stands nearby. In this case I switched from SM58 to AKG D5. The D5 has almost the high gain before feedback behaviour of the Audix OM7, but it sounds way more open in the top end than SM58/OM7...and its dead cheap too. Maybe give it a try. Between the Neumann and the Shure...I like both...maybe the Shure a little bit more. You have to try in your own surrounding.

Christian
    Last edited by Wurst Werner; 08-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.

5. Default Re: OT: Vocal mic Neumann KMS104/105 or Shure KSM9

Thank you all for your suggestions.

85's and betas have to go away. Sooner the better. I went through your suggestions and they all look great. Only thing is I have to meet rider demands more and more, therefore Neumann and Shure might be better than Audix or EV. I really don't have time for explaining why some cheap EV is better than standard 58 to any of performers or their FOH engineers. Neumann also has a WOW factor, which is not bad at all I don't think anyone would mind is he gets Neumann instead of 58 which he specified in rider

I guess I'll have to plan a trip to Thomann store soon to test all suggested mics and test their feedback levels.

Br,
    Dali

Quote Originally Posted by kdiamond View Post

... Neumann also has a WOW factor, which is not bad at all I don't think anyone would mind is he gets Neumann instead of 58 which he specified in rider
    Br,
    Dali
    Very true. If you can get them at an acceptable price, go for it. Just make sure they're not doing the "Roger Daltrey thing" and swinging it over their heads on a long cord!
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

The Evolution e965 is also a pretty sweet mic.

Personally I wouldn't switch everything over to a mic of that caliber. I've found I'm not a fan of the condenser vocals for those that eat the mic or scream into them. They're also much more susceptible to damage.

If you want a good quality general purpose lead vocal mic, the e935 is a great one. The EV mentioned is also a great mic and accepted by the pro circuit. It's a hidden gem kept cheap by its lack of brand name popularity.

I have e835's and e945's (need to get a few e935's) and pull out the nice condensers when a singer warrants it. The condensers just aren't worth it on the nicer vocals.

8. Default Re: OT: Vocal mic Neumann KMS104/105 or Shure KSM9

Quote Originally Posted by kdiamond View Post

I don't think anyone would mind is he gets Neumann instead of 58 which he specified in rider

Br,
    Dali
    I would keep a 58, or two, in my kit for the occasion when someone insists on that particular mic. I have had several singers who have used the 58 for decades, know how to work one to get the best out of their voice, and just won't use anything else.

9. Default Re: OT: Vocal mic Neumann KMS104/105 or Shure KSM9

I REALLY like the KMS105. I think it sounds very natural and I end up running little to no EQ on it. I don't care for the Shure KSM9, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I still carry beta 58s with me since they are generally acceptable to anyone and I know what to expect. I have one lonely SM58 that I'll throw on female singers sometimes.

There is always my secret weapon...a pair of old AKG C535 condensors. Probably not so rider friendly and they use a slightly smaller mic clip than normal which can be troublesome. Great on instruments and vocals especially on singers who like to back off a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurst Werner View Post
    It really depends on the music style and the stage volume. Both mikes sound fantastic but you will have to deal with lots of spillover, when a loud rocking band stands nearby. In this case I switched from SM58 to AKG D5. The D5 has almost the high gain before feedback behaviour of the Audix OM7, but it sounds way more open in the top end than SM58/OM7...and its dead cheap too. Maybe give it a try. Between the Neumann and the Shure...I like both...maybe the Shure a little bit more. You have to try in your own surrounding.

Christian
    Speaking of the OM7, this thing gets really great reviews with respect to gain before feedback. The only bad thing I've read is that a singer really has to be able to deal with a super tight pattern. Does anyone have any experience with this mic? I'd like to know how well your typical garage band vocalist or rap-star wannabe would do with a mic like this. The fact that it can take 144 dB SPL is kinda nice.