Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tesla and SAC in Salt Lake Utah

There's one behringer in Steve's FOH rack but that's for misc. playback and stuff. Everything from the band goes through the Aphex units.

With HAPS permission, i posted this on mu youtube channel. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/nomadnlife

Quote Originally Posted by HapHazzard View Post
    It's tough to take baby steps, isn't it. From console to SAC in a couple of months is not to bad. 40 channels of Aphex remote pres are bad? Why did you think he was using Behringers.

Hap
    Everybody starts out a N00b. Some just have more advantages tucked under their belt in terms of jumping into SAC.

You misunderstood. The preamps are great, I'd love to see and play with the rig myself and get a feel for how easy it is to control the Aphex pres from a remote FOH. They're in a budget range where you could add a few at a time to replace lower quality pre's and start with the channels that really need the tweaking. Vocals, acoustics, and bass seem to be the most varied on my rigs. Drums could get away with a static gain setting and some digital boost where infrequently necessary.

My comment about the Behringers was more about the misguided objections to SAC. They're regularly mentioned and for a while that was the first thing you saw if you came across any of the turnkey websites.

I didn't want the video out there and have the uninitiated assume that Steve was doing things the way they should be done or must be done. SAC obviously doesn't have mute groups that some might expect, but it's got at least 3 other ways to accomplish channel muting in short order and the naysayers wouldn't catch that. They'd just go home thinking SAC sucks.

Just a guess here, but he's probably not using scenes for mute groups for the same reason I suggested having a mute group function, because scenes are overkill for mute groups, and can be dangerous if not very careful, and take more time to set up which can lead to not setting them up in the first place. But what do I know. And no, I'm not Mark.
    Last edited by Leadfoot; 08-20-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Tony

5. Default Re: Tesla and SAC in Salt Lake Utah

"because scenes are overkill for mute groups"

I'm right there with you

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Just a guess here, but he's probably not using scenes for mute groups for the same reason I suggested having a mute group function, because scenes are overkill for mute groups, and can be dangerous if not very careful, and take more time to set up which can lead to not setting them up in the first place. But what do I know. And no, I'm not Mark.
    WHAT? You mean SAC's not perfect? Shame!
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Mute groups are pretty simple really.... set up a group latch output fader and re-order it right next to the group of faders and then just press its mute and they all mute... press it again and they all unmute.

Or create a bunch of out latch groups for group mutes and re-order them all next to each other... create an F-Key to jump to them and press the mute you want.

I have a few more latch features coming that will allow you to latch chans together in a REVERSE Latch mode... which means they remain individual for normal mixing, but then when you use the Alt-Key any one of the group can become the master fader... for mute groups that will give you plenty of combinations... reverse latch the vocal mics... then to mute them as a group... just use Alt and press any vocal mute...

I'm also looking into normal group mute assigned buttons... as well as scene toggle buttons which will allow you to specify a scene for the switch ON and a different scene for the switch OFF.

Plenty more to come... it's starting to get real interesting now that the main engine is stable.

Bob L

Wow that very powerful, for people worried about making changes by mistake, having to add the modifier key will keep them in safe mode.

thanks
    fvf

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Mute groups are pretty simple really.... set up a group latch output fader and re-order it right next to the group of faders and then just press its mute and they all mute... press it again and they all unmute.

Or create a bunch of out latch groups for group mutes and re-order them all next to each other... create an F-Key to jump to them and press the mute you want.

I have a few more latch features coming that will allow you to latch chans together in a REVERSE Latch mode... which means they remain individual for normal mixing, but then when you use the Alt-Key any one of the group can become the master fader... for mute groups that will give you plenty of combinations... reverse latch the vocal mics... then to mute them as a group... just use Alt and press any vocal mute...

I'm also looking into normal group mute assigned buttons... as well as scene toggle buttons which will allow you to specify a scene for the switch ON and a different scene for the switch OFF.

Plenty more to come... it's starting to get real interesting now that the main engine is stable.

Bob L
    Frank V. Farrell
    TD / Kenny Rogers Productions
    W0FVF
    ETTI,LLC
    http://www.CIALLC.com

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Steve called in from the road (70 mph wind and rain at an out door gig but still went on), said he does have mute groups but at end of show he mutes one at a time as the crew starts the break down (and they are quick to attack the stage even while the band is still on. Drums to instrument to vocals last, left to right. Then the next day he un-mutes in reverse. Vocals first to drums last or right to left. He stated that it gets pretty scary when a crew is plugging in a phantom powered mic and the group is live so he watches the meters and un-mutes as they come up, one at a time. As a opening act 50% of the time it makes more sense to do it this way and with that kind of power I can see why.

His F-Keys and handling of the Behringer fader is something to checkout. A little hard to see in the video but arranged with the same concept as his Innovason. "Stealth Mixing".

It IS surprising to me and to everyone else hear Steve's SAC system just how clean it sounds.

Hap

Quote Originally Posted by HapHazzard View Post
    It IS surprising to me and to everyone else hear Steve's SAC system just how clean it sounds.

Hap
    Shouldn't be a surprise. Probably a much more stable wordclock that most of teh Yamajunk consoles have or in comparison to an old analog desk where you have dozens of insert cables and all sorts of patch cords, etc.... and then it feeds the system processors which are almost always a digital box these days.

So lots less patching, less A-D-A conversions, and probably a better wordclock source... doesn't surprise me.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/