Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First SAC Mishap

changing the port number will reset the hosts connectivity without having to restart the host...it is the workaround for any of several rare problems that might cause the host & remote to stop playing nicely with each other...important to know because if you manage to create such, it will doubtless happen in the middle of some show (like, remote loses connection & won't reconnect)

I refer to this problem as rare not because it doesn't happen regularly for some, but because those of us it hasn't happened to, including Bob & myself, can't seem to create conditions where it does happen....making it a bit of a bugaboo for Bob to actually resolve...at least it's also not affecting the majority of users...I just jinxed myself to upcoming wireless hell didn't I? I probably won't even be able to get a car radio to work now
    Last edited by Trackzilla; 08-23-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

Quote Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post
    changing the port number will reset the hosts connectivity without having to restart the host...it is the workaround for any of several rare problems that might cause the host & remote to stop playing nicely with each other...important to know because if you manage to create such, it will doubtless happen in the middle of some show (like, remote loses connection & won't reconnect)

I refer to this problem as rare not because it doesn't happen regularly for some, but because those of us it hasn't happened to, including Bob & myself, can't seem to create conditions where it does happen....making it a bit of a bugaboo for Bob to actually resolve...at least it's also not affecting the majority of users...I just jinxed myself to upcoming wireless hell didn't I? I probably won't even be able to get a car radio to work now
    Hey thanks Trackzilla. What part of Indiana are you in anyway?

IU World...err...Bloomington
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

Quote Originally Posted by gdougherty View Post
    The other day on a church install I mixed monitors with a wireless remote brought it back and set it down at the board. A little while later something went into power saving mode is my best guess and the host came to a crawl if I recalled a scene (small partials and full console updates). The scene recall would take about 30 seconds and then it'd go back to normal.
    I've seen scene recalls while using wireless drag everything to a slow crawl as well.
    Josh
    185 Performance, LLC
    Atlanta, GA

I'm doing a church install right now, and I insisted that there be physical networking between the sac host and primary foh mixing pc.

In fact, their sac host is in a distant sound room. So it is hardwired to the sound booth over ethernet, and in the sound booth there also lives the wireless AP for running around the sanctuary with a netbook to ring out mics, etc.
    Josh
    185 Performance, LLC
    Atlanta, GA

Scene recalls with mute thru latches and label changes would drag the system down in the older versions... make sure you are using version 2.6... that has been corrected along the update path.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post
    IU World...err...Bloomington
    I think you are the closest SAC user to me that I've seen on here so far. I would think there would be someone in St Louis which would only about a 1 hour drive for me, but I haven't seen them on here yet.

I'm still blown away by SAC every time I use it and think it is very interesting that Bob has users all over the map. But maybe I'm just small town. It's just insanely crazy to me that someone like me that lives in B.F.E. has put something like this SAC system together when all I have is this forum to help me along. I can't even remember how I came across SAC on the internet, but I'm glad I did. No one around here knows anything about this. When I tell them about it they're like, "Your doing what???" I've only used it twice out on gigs on some small stuff and people are just amazed. I do have a bigger gig coming up that will have more people that are involved with music. I'm sure they too will be surprised.

Bob, you should be very proud of your accomplishments. (Which I'm sure that you are.) I am very proud of what you have enabled me to accomplish. I remember when I was looking into this and I called the no. on your website. I have to say I was a bit surprised that I was calling YOU. I got your voice mail, left a message and figured I would have to call back. But you called me back. That pretty much sold me. Very impressed. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Scene recalls with mute thru latches and label changes would drag the system down in the older versions... make sure you are using version 2.6... that has been corrected along the update path.

Bob L
    I'll give it a try. thanks
    Josh
    185 Performance, LLC
    Atlanta, GA