Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MWS bug

Default MWS bug

When I click on a note and use alt-drag to move either end, that note won't play until I also click a + or - by "start time" if I dragged the beginning of the note or "duration" if I dragged the end of the note. Most of the time I am at zoom level 6, but I go to zoom level 4 to drag note start/end times. So far this happens absolutely consistently.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: MWS bug

I just tried here and it works no matter what zoom level I drag in... again, I will suggest that the vst synth is the issue... or the dual cpu and the way the plug is handling that...

Try a different synth and see if you get the same behavior...

Bob L

I just tried it using sfz. If I drag the beginning of the note, it will not play that note... unless I ALSO click on "+" by start time. However, dragging the END time does not do this (I suspect the bug must only involve start time dragging). I repeated the test several times to make sure. Happens every time. It's there, all right, and not just with a particular VSTi.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Further investigation with a few other VSTi's shows that most do not have the problem with the "dragged" note start time. However, the problem is not purely random, therefore there is a specific set of conditions under which it occurs. From what I have been able to determine, the "lost" notes are not about WHEN the note is supposed to start, but rather HOW the start time was altered. This leads me to believe that there must be some difference, however subtle, in exactly how MWS sends a note on message depending on how the start time of the note was "set". Is there any way at all of checking this out??
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Well... you see my dilemma... if it works with most other vsts... MWS is doing the exact same thing everytime... therefore the issue seems to be in the certain Vsts... it would seem that they are having trouble with a note start time that maybe falls in the cracks... NWS can set the note at any sample position... perhaps these Vsts are subject to exact note grid timing... so try turning on the grid to 64th notes ar 32nd notes... then as you make the adjustments, MWS will snap the note to these boundaries... perhaps that will fix the issue with these certain Vsts.

Another thought I had was to try adjusting the Tick Timing down to a lower setting like 240 or 480... if the ticks are set way high like 960, perhaps these plugs are not fast enough to accept notes in those small timing increments.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Well... you see my dilemma... if it works with most other vsts... MWS is doing the exact same thing everytime... therefore the issue seems to be in the certain Vsts... it would seem that they are having trouble with a note start time that maybe falls in the cracks...
    If it was about note timing, I would expect occasional missed notes when I play live... but that never happens. I made a lot of timing changes with multiple "nudges" of the +, never ever lost a note that way. I ALWAYS and ONLY lost a note when I dragged the note boundary, unless/until I added a "nudge" with the +.
    MWS can set the note at any sample position... perhaps these Vsts are subject to exact note grid timing... so try turning on the grid to 64th notes ar 32nd notes... then as you make the adjustments, MWS will snap the note to these boundaries... perhaps that will fix the issue with these certain Vsts.
    If I was working to a set timing grid (guide sequence first, live players afterward), that would be a perfectly acceptable workaraound... except for the fact that perfect quantization takes the "humanity" out of a performance. In this case, however, I am working with live performance tracks (no click, tempo wandering...), so that option is not open to me. Again, when I play live the note timing does not affect whether the note plays or not.

Another thought I had was to try adjusting the Tick Timing down to a lower setting like 240 or 480... if the ticks are set way high like 960, perhaps these plugs are not fast enough to accept notes in those small timing increments.

Bob L
    I hadn't noticed what the default setting for that was, and I have not altered it. What is the default setting? If need be, I'm OK with dropping to 480 (although I thought that was what it was already).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

It is not about exacting to grid... but my suggestion was about trying to determine what is happening... by setting the grid ON while you adjust a note boundary, then you will force the start position to an exact tick boundary at least... see if these notes work fine.... you are doing the same thing by using the +... by sliding the note freely, you are allowing MWS to position the note at a sample boundary... which can be in between tick boundaries... a more powerful and free way of working and creating live feels.

I am suggesting that, perhaps some plugs may not like this and simply skip the note.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    It is not about exacting to grid... but my suggestion was about trying to determine what is happening... by setting the grid ON while you adjust a note boundary, then you will force the start position to an exact tick boundary at least... see if these notes work fine.... you are doing the same thing by using the +... by sliding the note freely, you are allowing MWS to position the note at a sample boundary... which can be in between tick boundaries... a more powerful and free way of working and creating live feels.

I am suggesting that, perhaps some plugs may not like this and simply skip the note.

Bob L
    I did not know that dragging the boundary could put it "between ticks". So there is a way of setting grid on, just to force to the nearest tick boundary? I could work with that.

One thing though... how does the VSTi know where the tick boundaries are??

Also, when I am playing live, MWS doesn't force to tick boundaries, does it? If not, why are "live played" notes never missed??
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Just thought of another question. When MWS is recording a performance, do all events get forced to the nearest "tick boundary", or is there an arbitrary higher resolution applied? Put another way, is there a way for a recorded note to land "between ticks"?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

I guess I will have to go back deep into the code for that answer... not sure what the difference is... this was all just an idea to see if it fixed the problem.

If you have a note that is skipping... if you just select that note and click the + then the minus on the start time... putting the note back where it was (theoretically)... does that fix the note... if so... then I'm guessing I can look there and see about forcing notes to tick positions.

Bob L