Close

Default Again with the screens!

Hi folks, I'm getting a new PC for the studio...old one lasted 6 years!

Would like to use 4 screens instead of two. The screencards that automatically do that are way expensive in my country. What is NOT so expensive is the SLI route. Yes, it's more expensive than NON SLI, but it's way cheaper than a single card with 4 outs.

Could someone advise: If you use an SLI motherboard with two SLI slots for the screens, do you HAVE to use specifically SLI cards to get four screens, or could you use any display cards in combo?

I realize, that in gaming, you need two IDENTICAL SLI cards, and they run in tandem, but only display to ONE screen (for gaming obviously), BUT...two different suppliers have told me that to run the 4-screen option, you do not need to use specifically SLI cards.
    Two suppliers said that you do have to run two identical SLI cards even for the 4-screen setup.
    One supplier kept trying to sell me a 4-screen enabled card (which is more expensive on its own, than my intended new SLI motherboard, i3 CPU, terrabyte harddisk, two SLI screen cards, case and power supply).

Any help much appreciated as always.

Default Re: Again with the screens!

I'm not 100% sure, but believe you can just install two video cards in the system. They don't have to be SLI connected.

Almost all mid-level and up video cards support two monitors these days.

In fact with the i3 onboard video, you should have dual monitor support directly on the motherboard, requiring only a single additional card for the other two monitors.

Although I think I would opt for two matched stand-alone cards.

-------------

OK... I've took 2 seconds to google "multiple monitors win xp"

I'm not 100% sure you don't need anything special.

FROM Microsoft:

"Windows XP makes it possible for you to increase your productivity by using multiple monitors to expand the size of your desktop. With the use of up to ten individual monitors connected to a single computer, you can create a desktop that is large enough to hold numerous programs or windows. You can easily work on more than one task at a time by moving items from one monitor to another or by stretching them across numerous monitors. You can edit images or text on one monitor while you view Web activity on another monitor. Or you could open multiple pages of a single, long document, and then drag them across several monitors to easily view the layout of text and graphics. You could also stretch a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet across two monitors so you can view numerous columns without scrolling. "

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307873

List of Supported Display Adapters for Multiple Monitors and Dualview in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307397

And one more:

"I have just completed setting up a 2nd graphics card on my Dell desktop running XP home. My primary card is BFG nvidia 9400 in PCIe slot. I wanted a 2nd card to be able to run separate monitor ICC profiles for each monitor.

Nvidia was very helpful in pointing me to the latest driver for the 9400. Once there, there is a list of supported hardware. I chose an 8400 PCI card (also BFG) that is compatible with this driver.

Then I just turned off the machine, installed the card in the PCI slot, turned windows back on and let the machine find the card, load the drivers (same driver now used for both cards) and reboot the PC. Once the PC was up and the card verified as active in the hardware list, I went to Display in Control Panel, clicked on the now-present 2nd monitor and selected the "extend my desktop" box.

It all works well.

Others had told me this couldn't be done without an SLI enabled motherboard. Not so, it does work."
    Last edited by cgrafx; 08-31-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Looked up the specifics
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Why not just get a couple big monitors or one big one say a 47" in HD. You should see SawStudio on my 65" HD its crazy.

He he, hi Microstudio...would LOVE to do that, BUT...again, in my country the prices are still very disproportionate. A 42" HD display would again cost more than 1 and a half times the cost of the entire PC.
    Also, I already have the monitors from previous setup, and other older PCs.
    And, of course, as mentioned...I have to replace the 6 year old PC as it is not lasting much anymore, so new PC I HAVE to get, could just as well include a nice graphics setup for a few bucks extra, and enjoy 4 screens.
    Yet, I am very jealous of your 65" ;-)

Hi cgrafx, thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Why not just get a couple big monitors or one big one say a 47" in HD. You should see SawStudio on my 65" HD its crazy.
    Please... show us a screen shot! (well... so we can see it on our little monitors - that is)
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstudio View Post
    Hi cgrafx, thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
    Your welcome.. glad I could help.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.