Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Recommended VST Plugin Manufacturers?

Hi guys,

Are there any plugin manufacturers who's coding could be considered 'excellent' in terms of efficiency and suitable for use with SAC? I have a lot of the Voxengo stuff, and a few of the PSP plugins, which have always worked very well and efficiently in my Sonar DAW, but I have never tried them live.

I did a quick search on this forum, and really only found that Waves are a bit of a 'no no' (in any case, the WUP put me off Waves anyway about 5 years ago!).

I know that the RML plugs are obviously very very good with SAC, but thinking in terms of my limited-ish budget, I would like a decent all round bundle that will also work with my DAW setup, which is Sonar based.

Many thanks,

Martin

2. Default Re: Recommended VST Plugin Manufacturers?

Dave Brown's stuff is pretty good

http://www.db-audioware.com/

a la carte though

also though I have not tried in SAC.. I love the Sonnox stuff
    Last edited by Sound Machine Inc; 09-09-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Default Re: Recommended VST Plugin Manufacturers?

You could always try mine...*cough*stillwellaudio dot com*cough*

Note: My Event Horizon plugin in "Limit" mode has over 2000 samples of Latency...not something you want in SAC.

I have SAW and SAC and if a problem is ever found running under either host, I WILL fix it pronto. No issues known of at this time.

Scott

4. Default Re: Recommended VST Plugin Manufacturers?

I use these all the time and they're free.
    http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/

Rick

+1 on the Stillwell plugs

Quote Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
    You could always try mine...*cough*stillwellaudio dot com*cough*

Note: My Event Horizon plugin in "Limit" mode has over 2000 samples of Latency...not something you want in SAC.

I have SAW and SAC and if a problem is ever found running under either host, I WILL fix it pronto. No issues known of at this time.

Scott
    I bought "Transient Monster" and it seems to do the same job as the SPL Transient designer -- At 1/4 the cost and without an iLok (which I refuse to use, especially in a live environment).

Anyone who mic's drums should have this plug-in.
    Cheers,
    Randy Hyde

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Machine Inc View Post
    Dave Brown's stuff is pretty good

http://www.db-audioware.com/

a la carte though

also though I have not tried in SAC.. I love the Sonnox stuff
    I have the db-audioware de-esser - superior plugin..... but it doesn't work in in SAC.
    I like the fact that if a plugin has latency - it WILL still pass audio in SAC...but it just won't be operative. (that's important considering we can live patch).
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by RandyHyde View Post
    I bought "Transient Monster" and it seems to do the same job as the SPL Transient designer -- At 1/4 the cost and without an iLok (which I refuse to use, especially in a live environment).

Anyone who mic's drums should have this plug-in.
    Cheers,
    Randy Hyde
    Randy, have you tried simply using the Levelizer as a transient monster?

Properly set-up, it works great! Deep threashold, mild ratio, with Slower attack times on compression - premix to watch transient amounts let through (carefully adjusting ratio too), them season to taste by opening up the base and high end with the side-chain filters, then simply tame a touch with the transparent sounding Levelizer.
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Not to knock the Levelizer (which is a fantastic plugin!), but a compressor/limiter is not the same thing..or is only half the same thing. Levelizer doesn't have an expander, which is an integral part of the SPL TD and my own Transient Monster plugin.

If you're very careful, you can come close to duplicating parts of the sound of a TD with a compressor...until the signal level changes at the source. You'll then have to re-tweak everything to sound right again...and then the drummer will change his level again and you're back to square one.

The effect is mostly the same as a combined expander and compressor, but the method of deriving the control signal is considerably different than in a typical compressor or expander.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
    Not to knock the Levelizer (which is a fantastic plugin!), but a compressor/limiter is not the same thing..or is only half the same thing. Levelizer doesn't have an expander, which is an integral part of the SPL TD and my own Transient Monster plugin.

If you're very careful, you can come close to duplicating parts of the sound of a TD with a compressor...until the signal level changes at the source. You'll then have to re-tweak everything to sound right again...and then the drummer will change his level again and you're back to square one.

The effect is mostly the same as a combined expander and compressor, but the method of deriving the control signal is considerably different than in a typical compressor or expander.

Scott
    Very informative Scott. Like I (meant to) mentioned... you'd have to premix to make sure you adjusted to effect desired. Interesting to know about the control signal being treated differently in the Monster plugin (a great way to custom shape a signal).

Another option is to use the Sonoris compressor included in the chain, which allows *negative* compression ratios.

Personally, my favorite would be a compressor which allows complete side chaining of the *control signal* (for example, patching into the control signal an entire parametric EQ).
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com