Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing fades

Default Drawing fades

Seems like there could be some streamlining in the creation of fades. These extra keystrokes have been driving me mad for years.

Fading to a destination value: if you want to create a fade to an existing destination fader entry, you move to where you want and draw the starting fader entry, but then you have to move the cursor away from it, then ctrl-tab back to it in order to draw the fade. Extra steps. I'd sure like to be able to draw that start entry and hit F straight away. (not unlike the way I'd like to be able to draw an automation entry and hit the V key straight away to filter for it's automation type, rather than having to manually move the cursor off the entry, then ctrl-tab back to it, first -- but I digress) This operation would go from four steps to two.

Fading from a start value: say you want to fade from an existing fader entry to a target destination entry. You move down the time line to create the destination entry, then ctrl-tab back to the existing entry and hit F. Nothing happens. Till you manually move off the entry and ctrl-tab back to it again. Then you can hit F and draw the fade. Instead of these five steps, you can actually do it in four with a little forethought by drawing the destination, manually moving the cursor off that entry, then ctrl-tabbing to the start entry and hitting F. However, this one could conceivably be trimmed to three steps.

I guess the commonality with these two is that you can't just ctrl-tab to your entry of interest and hit F -- at some point before drawing the fade, you have to manually move the cursor off of an entry, then ctrl-tab to the entry of interest, adding two seemingly unnecessary steps to the work flow for each such fade you want to draw.

Bob -- any chance this could be streamlined?

UPDATE: to clarify... I'm talking about fader automation that involves values other than 0 dB or -inf dB. Thus my need to draw an entry in each case.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 10-20-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Drawing fades

Just draw your destination entry... and then you can start anywhere you want after the start entry and hit F... there is no need to be ON the start entry.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Just draw your destination entry... and then you can start anywhere you want after the start entry and hit F... there is no need to be ON the start entry.

Bob L
    Really? Another work-around? No time for such enhancements?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Fading to existing destination fader entry:

I think you're adding steps. You just go to where you want to start the fade and press "F" You don't need to mark a new fader entry unless you want to specify some other start level. And in that case, you don't need to go back to that new entry before starting the fade, move off the fader entry and press "f" (in this case 3 steps, not 4)

Fade from Start Value:

As you described, but you don't need that last step. You move off the start fader entry(R-Arrow), and press "F".

I see what you're saying, I often press "F" only to have move the cursor off the entry. But in the end, it's one step more (a quick right arrow), not two.
    Erik Friedlander
    ----------------------------------------------
    www.erikfriedlander.com

Why is everything a work-around for you Dave...

I'm not sure what is so hard to grasp as a perfectly good and simple design...

from whever you are you can always press the F key to fade to the next destination level...

of course if you are on an existing entry you are already at the next level aren't you...

If there is no destination entery, the next level is -inf if going down or zero db if forcing up (shift-F).

In most or all cases, the starting level is probably already set from a previous position earlier in the timeline... and you just want to start a fade further down... so just place your cursor where the fade starts and press F... there is no need to write a new start fade entry.

And you might also just want to explore the slope option... you can create very nice smooth transitions without having to write hundreds of fader entries... just write one at the destination value with a slope of x ms... 1 entry does the work of hundreds.

Bob L

Dave.... I do one step - hit F.
    If I want a quicker fade (before destination level down timeline) then I hightlight the area I want to faded (sweeping timeline to right) then click anywhere to the left of it and press F.
    done.
    Try that.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Thanks, Bob. I trust you don't mind me answering your questions (you asked 'em. No 'rhetorical defense' allowed )

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Why is everything a work-around for you Dave...
    Well, not everything, but there are some cases where I think I see a way that would require fewer steps while not taking the user off onto a tangent of sorts. You know -- a work-around.

I'm not sure what is so hard to grasp as a perfectly good and simple design...
    Maybe I'm just not that bright.

To me, more steps means less than perfectly good and simple. That makes sense, right?

from whever you are you can always press the F key to fade to the next destination level...
    Unless where you are is where you just drew an automation entry. That's all I'm saying. I know your suggestion is to move an appropriately small distance off the entry and hit F. It's an extra step. And more if re-zooming is called for. I guess I'll do that when I'm zoomed appropriately. Beats my extra-2-step approach in those cases.

But don't you think it would be more elegant for our Ferrari to allow you to avoid the extra step(s)? I do. I'm just sayin'...

And you might also just want to explore the slope option... you can create very nice smooth transitions without having to write hundreds of fader entries... just write one at the destination value with a slope of x ms... 1 entry does the work of hundreds.

Bob L
    I use this all the time. Love it. Very handy, indeed.

I'm on-board with your other points.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 10-20-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Dave.... I do one step - hit F.
    That sure works in some cases. Not in the ones I outline, though. How 'bout those?

If I want a quicker fade (before destination level down timeline) then I hightlight the area I want to faded (sweeping timeline to right) then click anywhere to the left of it and press F.
    done.
    Try that.
    I do that all the time. Again, it's good for certain applications. Not what I'm talking about here, however. Please read my IP for more information. There I outline two very specific circumstances where the fades aren't so generic, but based on non-zero, non -inf start and/or end values. Maybe I should have specified that. My bad.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Dave,
    Does your Ferrari have a clutch?
    Think of the arrow key as the *clutch.
    "First touch your finger on the *clutch, the shift the fader"
    Works like a charm.
    Or.... if you don't like your Ferrari... I have a very nice driveway it'll fit in.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Unless where you are is where you just drew an automation entry.
    Dave... I'm not sure that would ever really make sense... here's my thinking on that... why would you draw an automation entry at the very spot you plan on doing a fade... you are already at the starting volume... just press F... it seems not very realistic that I would want an instant drop of level (the newly written entry) and then need to fade from there.

Bob L