Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Hide Track Numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Very well said! Thank you!

One thing, though. I don't understand what you mean by

"This could lead to potential confusion with respect to real track assignments as the pseudo track number (Label-only) would of coarse not in fact be the real track number."

I hadn't thought about assignments between modules, so thanks for that.

But... wouldn't my high-level "translation table" (see my reply to Ian) be able to take care of that? The assignment button target values would be translated (just under the hood) before anything serious happened. Any such interface-triggered "assignments" (like the hard-wired aux sends) would be translated by the table.

Since the table isn't dynamic in the sense that it won't ever change while the engine is active (can't re-order tracks then), I'd think there would be no performance hit.

Would not such a simple 'translation table' make it all happen?
    I didn't think about abstracting the display number, just markering over the top. Your right though, a single lookup table would be sufficient to keep track of the real track vs the display track.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

A man is being pursued by a deadly hunter, and needs to cross a wide river. He runs to the river bank and there are two boats moored at the riverside. He asks each in turn, 'I need to cross the river, can you help?'. The first says, 'Yes, of course. Look at my boat. I built it myself. I've been navigating these waters for over 15 years. I've experienced everything the river can throw at me. I've carefully designed this boat to be perfect for the fast flowing waters, the rocks in the shallows, the crocodiles and the storms, you're welcome to travel with me. But you have to trust my skill and my craft'. He goes to the second ship. 'Look at my boat' the man says. 'It's beautifully finished, it's huge, it has a bar, a dance hall and and comfortable sleeping quarters. I know about rivers, honest. Check out the fairy lights and the happy passengers'.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    A man is being pursued by a deadly hunter, and needs to cross a wide river. He runs to the river bank and there are two boats moored at the riverside. He asks each in turn, 'I need to cross the river, can you help?'. The first says, 'Yes, of course. Look at my boat. I built it myself. I've been navigating these waters for over 15 years. I've experienced everything the river can throw at me. I've carefully designed this boat to be perfect for the fast flowing waters, the rocks in the shallows, the crocodiles and the storms, you're welcome to travel with me. But you have to trust my skill and my craft'. He goes to the second ship. 'Look at my boat' the man says. 'It's beautifully finished, it's huge, it has a bar, a dance hall and and comfortable sleeping quarters. I know about rivers, honest. Check out the fairy lights and the happy passengers'.

Dominic
    Thanks for the story.. but you'd have to explain what it has to do with the topic?

The question at hand was weather the track number display could be relabled without actually reordering the underlying tracks.

The answer to that question is yes. It doesn't require object programming, just a simply table to abstract the displayed numbers from the actual track IDs.

In fact, half of that work is already done, as the track labels are already a field associated with the track ID.

Add an additional field/variable for the track number label and almost like magic, the tracks could be displayed in numeric order from top to bottom, without actually changing moving the track info to a different ID.

Ok... sarcasm mode off... obviously it still takes some time and effort and coding to do this, but it doesn't require changing object oriented programming or adding more tracks, or really any significant change to the underlying framework.

It does affect the screen display routines and the move track functions as they would have to be modified to do the display label re-ordering.

As for weather this is worth the time and effort on Bob's part, only he can determine that.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I've just learned to move the tracks as needed and ignore the numbers but go by the track names, at first it was a pain to not be able to have the track numbers change but I got used to it, like most have I suppose. My frustration is when I reorder the tracks in error and have to drag them back where I want them again.
    I used to do that too. Good news... at some point, I think, Bob made it so that the track order reset function creates an undo layer. Next time you accidentally "straighten" out the track order, just hit ctrl-< (really, ctrl-comma).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post

Dominic
    Cool. Talking boats.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I used to do that too. Good news... at some point, I think, Bob made it so that the track order reset function creates an undo layer. Next time you accidentally "straighten" out the track order, just hit ctrl-< (really, ctrl-comma).
    Thanks Dave, that change snuck past me. I'll keep that in mind next time I fat finger the order.
    Rob

Robert Bobrowski
    Edmonds, Washington USA
    rabbitaudio@comcast.net

This why I was thinking if it was easy to not display the numbers, then it might be a good compromise. I don't really use the displayed track numbers for anything, but when they show out of order I "pay more attention" than I need to.
    David Benkert

Do the fairy lights scare off the crocodiles? Prolly not huh. Happy passengers though till eaten. I'm with you Dom