Default Re: using outboard gear

hello bob
    that's a good idee, thanks
    will work on this one.

greetings
    janneman

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Other than the inserts, how do these (Digimax) compare to the ART TubeOpto8 units?
    Great question.
    I'd like to hear from someone with comparisons/experience with:
    ART TubeOpto8 preamps
    Digimax FS preamps
    Avalon preamps
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Great question.
    I'd like to hear from someone with comparisons/experience with:
    ART TubeOpto8 preamps
    Digimax FS preamps
    Avalon preamps
    I don't have experience with the ART pres, but I do have experience with the Digimax and Avalon, and I can tell you, they are in two completely different classes. The Digimax I had was more noisy than my ADA8000, so I wouldn't recommend it at all - I sold it and kept the Behringers. It had an audible hiss at any volume.
    -Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Allen View Post
    I don't have experience with the ART pres, but I do have experience with the Digimax and Avalon, and I can tell you, they are in two completely different classes. The Digimax I had was more noisy than my ADA8000, so I wouldn't recommend it at all - I sold it and kept the Behringers. It had an audible hiss at any volume.

Craig, we've beat this dead horse before, but I am pretty sure you probably just had a bum Presonus Unit. I have used several Presonus and none of mine (or the venues in this case) are "nosier" than any ADA8000 I've used. I wouldn't say they are a lot better, probably about the same as far as noise floor goes.

I know your issue was on output noise. I just got done doing a show where I have several outputs direct to amps for stage monitors and other playback speakers. I could walk right up to those speakers and I couldn't tell you if they were turned on or not. I had to stick my ear in the horn of the speaker to even hear the slightest hiss.

So at least in my experience they are nice units and frankly except for the all XLR connectors on an ADA8000 and of course the price tag for the cheap bastards we are around here (I include myself), I would buy a Digimax FS any day over the ADA8000 given the funds.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Richard,

Carl was asking for people's experience, so I posted mine. I won't touch another piece of Digimax equipment from that experience. Was it defective? I can't be sure either way, but the buyer from eBay seemed to be pretty happy with it judging from the feedback I got. My point was that the Digimax is no better than Behringer in my opinion. I know's that not a popular opinion here, but it's mine.

FWIW.
    -Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Allen View Post
    Richard,

Carl was asking for people's experience, so I posted mine. I won't touch another piece of Digimax equipment from that experience. Was it defective? I can't be sure either way, but the buyer from eBay seemed to be pretty happy with it judging from the feedback I got. My point was that the Digimax is no better than Behringer in my opinion. I know's that not a popular opinion here, but it's mine.

FWIW.
    Fair Enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I have M-Audio 2626..Digimax D8 and a Focusrite LE. I can tell the difference on my live recordings with SAW. There is a a comparison on the net comparing the ART, Digimax and the Focusrite and the ART is the nicest in my opinion. I rate mine 1) Focusrite 2) Digimax and 3) M-Audio. I use the Focusrite for my vocals with AT2010 small condenser mics and I don't have to eq them very much if any. Outdoors I go back to the 58's