Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default using outboard gear

hello all
    in a couple of weeks i'm doing a show on wich there will be guest technicians,
    who will bring outboard gear to the show. It's on there Rider.
    couple of EQ's, Compressors and FX.
    looking through this forum, I could not find a solution to patch these easily.

is there an good way to connect these, or is it imposible to do it without a lot of latency?

greetings
    janneman

2. Default Re: using outboard gear

You can patch in outboard gear via the Aux Return channels. Instead of "Virtual" for the devices, you can select real devices.

Default Re: using outboard gear

And to answer the other half of the question, you will have exactly the same amount of latency as you have from mic-in to line-out. If you have a signal passing from microphone input, to external device, back in via aux return, then back out through the mains, that will be 2x the latency that you would have for simply passing from mic straight through to output.

For a reverb or delay or other time-based effect, that's not much of an issue. Other gear...you'll have to make that call by listening.

You don't have channel or bus hardware inserts, so you're not going to be strapping your favorite pair of 1176s across the drum bus or anything like that. Auxes are really the only place you can do it (watch someone prove me wrong...won't be the first time... )

Scott

To do anything besides an aux you'd have to loop an output to an input and back to the system output. Chances are it won't be much of a worry. This is where I like having the convolution reverbs with good IR sets for major reverb types Lexicon, tc, eventide, Roland, yamaha. May not be quite as tweakable as the real thing but they work and sound as good as the real thing.

You can do it with verbs... but an eq or comp will most likely cause very noticable phasing or flanging results if it is being mixed with the straight signal... or even if there is mic leakage... it could create combing artifacts.

If these fx units are a must for the guest engineers... you might want to consider a bank of mic pres with hardware inserts like the Digimax FS units where these can be patched inline with no added latency.

Bob L

6. Default Re: using outboard gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    You can do it with verbs... but an eq or comp will most likely cause very noticable phasing or flanging results if it is being mixed with the straight signal... or even if there is mic leakage... it could create combing artifacts.

If these fx units are a must for the guest engineers... you might want to consider a bank of mic pres with hardware inserts like the Digimax FS units where these can be patched inline with no added latency.

Bob L
    Not that I need outboard, but that is definitely another notable benefit to going for the Digimax FS over the Behringers for touring guys that have to meet riders that require outboard. Good thinking.

thanks for the advice
    I will look into this Digimax FS solution
    think this will be the best option for outboard gear.

greetings
    janneman

Quote Originally Posted by TyRip View Post
    Not that I need outboard, but that is definitely another notable benefit to going for the Digimax FS over the Behringers for touring guys that have to meet riders that require outboard. Good thinking.
    Other than the inserts, how do these compare to the ART TubeOpto8 units?

hello
    are there other mic pres like the Digimax FS with inserts.

greetings
    janneman

You can easily build a bank of 8 or more chans using regular analog mic pres cabled into a line converter or your Behringer with a typical patch bay insert connection in between so you can insert any hardware processing gear you want without adding latency.

Bob L