Close

Thread: 3M Multitouch

Default 3M Multitouch

Looking for a new mixer I stumbled on SAC. I decided to give it a try. After a lot of research and hours of tweaking the system runs with 1 buffer of 64 samples with 90% - 95% load without any slipped buffer during 24h. This means 32 input channels in 10 mixers all with equalizers and compressors active and a few plug ins. I am really impressed! This is more then I will need.

Now I could manage to lay my paws on a 3M multitouch display. Really nice and a lot of fun to play with. But I found two not so nice behaviors.

For very small adjustments I put my finger on the slider of the zoom mixer and roll it a little up or down. Works great, but if I roll the finger a little bit to much down, the fader jumps suddenly to the 0 db position. This happens always, even on a disconnected SAC remote console.

While playing a bit with moving a few faders at the same time, suddenly jumps a fader to the top +20 db position. Later it happens that 3 faders jump to +20 db. After a while I found a way to reproduce this: I put my fingers on three or more faders and moved them 10 or 20 times quickly a little up and down. During this or when I take my fingers of the display, one or more of this faders jump to the +20 db position. This happens in 4 of 10 tests. I did this on a SAC remote console over wlan. On the SAC host it never happens so far. May be this depends more on network speed/traffic then on the multitouch display or on something else. During the weekend I will give it a closer look.

There are more 3M multi touch displays out there? Any experience?

Greetings from Germany
    Herbert

Default Re: 3M Multitouch

Herbert... the 3M is a little touchy yet... be careful with the jump to zero... it is most likely your second finger touching the display as you are moving the fader... that activates the jump to default feature... be careful.

You might want to try touching beside the fader in the up and down section zones to trim a fader up or down in small increments... you can also use keyboard up/dn arrows or the floating touch panel up/dn arrows to do the same.

I do have some extra modifications now in the new 2.7 that helps deal with the popup faders and other controls getting stuck by not properly receiving their let-go mouse up command... this will fix the jump to +20 issue... 2.7 is coming soon.

I will be looking at the new 35" 3M screen next month here at a trade show in the 3M booth.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    Looking for a new mixer I stumbled on SAC. I decided to give it a try. After a lot of research and hours of tweaking the system runs with 1 buffer of 64 samples with 90% - 95% load without any slipped buffer during 24h. This means 32 input channels in 10 mixers all with equalizers and compressors active and a few plug ins. I am really impressed! This is more then I will need.

Now I could manage to lay my paws on a 3M multitouch display. Really nice and a lot of fun to play with. But I found two not so nice behaviors.

For very small adjustments I put my finger on the slider of the zoom mixer and roll it a little up or down. Works great, but if I roll the finger a little bit to much down, the fader jumps suddenly to the 0 db position. This happens always, even on a disconnected SAC remote console.

While playing a bit with moving a few faders at the same time, suddenly jumps a fader to the top +20 db position. Later it happens that 3 faders jump to +20 db. After a while I found a way to reproduce this: I put my fingers on three or more faders and moved them 10 or 20 times quickly a little up and down. During this or when I take my fingers of the display, one or more of this faders jump to the +20 db position. This happens in 4 of 10 tests. I did this on a SAC remote console over wlan. On the SAC host it never happens so far. May be this depends more on network speed/traffic then on the multitouch display or on something else. During the weekend I will give it a closer look.

There are more 3M multi touch displays out there? Any experience?

Greetings from Germany
    Herbert
    Go to Youtube and watch the Tesla ans SAC video.
    Steve is using the 3M with SAC. We went in at 10:30am and were live minutes later. Scorpions were out there since 5:30am plus we bugged out under 15min.

Now, don't roll the fingers.....push the fingers

Hap

it is most likely your second finger touching the display as you are moving the fader... that activates the jump to default feature... be careful.
    I tried it again, no second finger touches the display, but rolling down the finger results in a larger touched area. May be the system sees a second finger above a defined size of touched area. Anyway, I will try to avoid to roll my fingers on the display.

Hap ... thank you for the interesting link.

Herbert