Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reverse latch mute groups

Okay, so Bob mentions using reverse latches for mute groups, and that's certainly cool.

One thing I figured out is it makes the Dave Rat subgroup compression with a subgroup master latch now even easier. Reverse latch all your compressed subgroups, use a group latch channel to control all your input levels and a quick press of the alt key will allow backing down the subgroups as you push the inputs up into the subgroup compressors. It isn't possible to do both simultaneously (alt would break the input latch from controlling the inputs while you move the subgroups) but it is doable, maybe in smaller alternating steps.

In practice, as a mute group control it seems less helpful, at least for the way I always used mute groups.

The way I like to use them is to break things down into smaller components (drums, backing vocals, percussion, etc.) then also have a master mute everything option. The problem is in implementing both. If I create a drum rvs latch and a mute everything rvs latch. The drums only control themselves and only other channels will control the mute everything. Admittedly, I was happy to see that Bob's implementation is much better than it possibly could have been (drum rvs latch could be useless since it always mutes everything as well) but it'd still be nice to have buttons on the main UI strip to control a set of mute groups. Something to the right of the console selection drop down would be most intuitive IMO.

In the mean time, this is a big step from 2.6 and much appreciated. I'm very happy to see reverse latches and I wouldn't want them replaced with mute groups. In many cases they'll make assigning to a group latch channel superfluous. It certainly saves channel space on smaller screens by eliminating the need for them.

Edit: just checked. Perhaps the most compelling reason to use rvs latch groups instead of group latches is the fact that they follow through the monitor mixers. Group latch channels must be reassigned for each mix layer you'd like to use them in. As I realize this, I realize just how huge that is for monitor mixes.

Default Re: Reverse latch mute groups

Quote Originally Posted by gdougherty View Post
    Okay, so Bob mentions using reverse latches for mute groups, and that's certainly cool.

One thing I figured out is it makes the Dave Rat subgroup compression with a subgroup master latch now even easier. Reverse latch all your compressed subgroups, use a group latch channel to control all your input levels and a quick press of the alt key will allow backing down the subgroups as you push the inputs up into the subgroup compressors. It isn't possible to do both simultaneously (alt would break the input latch from controlling the inputs while you move the subgroups) but it is doable, maybe in smaller alternating steps.
    I found out that same thing, to bad it can't be done simultaneously.

tried to get output 22 and output 24 latch together as a RVS latchgroup (I used output 23 as RVS latch for subgroups), pressing Alt and moving output 22 will move output 24 (latch for all inputs), but this has no effect on the input levels.
    thought, if this will work, I could use Alt with 2 faders at the same time, to move 1 up and the other down.

but have to try this in small steps, one by one, think that will work also

janneman

You can nest RVS latches... just use Blank Input chans... the chan types must be the same for the controls to latch correctly.

In fact... you can set 1-4 as a rvs latch... then set 1-8 as another rvs latch... now any of 1-4 chans will be mute group 1... and any of 5-8 chans will be mute group 2 which mutes all 8 chans... etc.

Or, use a blank chan included in the proper groups and label as Group 1... Group 2... etc.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    You can nest RVS latches... just use Blank Input chans... the chan types must be the same for the controls to latch correctly.

In fact... you can set 1-4 as a rvs latch... then set 1-8 as another rvs latch... now any of 1-4 chans will be mute group 1... and any of 5-8 chans will be mute group 2 which mutes all 8 chans... etc.

Or, use a blank chan included in the proper groups and label as Group 1... Group 2... etc.

Bob L
    How do you clear a RVS latch?

Clear all selected chans and then use the Shift option to set the latch as a blank latch... clear the name also.

I am working on a Clear Latch menu option.

Bob L

First gig out with 2.7, loving the reverse latches. No need for a group latch on vocals eating up a channel onscreen.

I agree... in fact now you can pretty much create groups of every section of signals without needing master fader assignments... like all the drums... all the vocals... all the rhythm... all the horns... etc... and everything will work perfectly independently until you need to adjust one of those sections... then you just use the alt-key and grab any one of the section chans as a group master... I really think it is a handy feature.

Bob L

8. Default Re: Reverse latch mute groups

Has anyone tried the reverse latches with a control surface?

I'm using TouchOSC, so I don't know if its the way things are configed on my end, but if I create a reverse latch, when I move a fader on my iPod Touch, all of the faders in the reverse latch move. If I switch to the actual PC and use the mouse or keyboard to move the faders in the RVS latch, it works properly ie: the latched faders only move when holding the alt key.

Edit: Holding ALT on the keyboard while moving a fader on the ipod, only the one fader in the RVS latch group moves.
    Last edited by 905shmick; 11-05-2010 at 08:21 PM.

I just tried it on my MotorMix and it is a bug in the controller section...

I'll work on a quick fix.

Bob L

I also had an odd issue, I created a rvs latch with 5 vocal channels, then created a second rvs latch with just 3 bg vocals. I couldn't get the 3 to work independently of the 5. Holding alt always manipulated the 5 vocals when I adjusted any of the bg vocal channels. The other day if I started with the small channel set then added the bigger set I could still manipulate just the smaller set independent of the bigger set. Seems order of creation takes precedence.

Would be nice if the order didn't matter, though I can see the logic could get very complicated very quickly with so many latch groups available.