Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default markers in the multi-track time line

Just double checking here but are there any ways to have nice visual markers in the multi-track timeline? I know you can drop a Cue Location in a control track and that's nice and all, but it doesn't give you a nice visual bar displayed on the timeline.

So far I've been doing OK without it. But it's something I am finding that I am missing from working with other DAWs.

So am I missing a feature? Or a better way of working or doing the same thing?

If not, is this something that is "on the list"?

Thanks,
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Default Re: markers in the multi-track time line

No visible marker on the MT... the Cue List with its names has always been much more useful in my opinion and with its instant jump ability, it always seemed better than trying to jump thru the timeline from marker line to merker line, especially when zoomed out a little and marker names would be jammed into each other from markers being too close.

The MT is already very crowded with displayed data and I always felt marker lines crowded it up more than needed...

But... many still would like to see them... so the idea is on the list.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Just double checking here but are there any ways to have nice visual markers in the multi-track timeline? I know you can drop a Cue Location in a control track and that's nice and all, but it doesn't give you a nice visual bar displayed on the timeline.

So far I've been doing OK without it. But it's something I am finding that I am missing from working with other DAWs.

So am I missing a feature? Or a better way of working or doing the same thing?

If not, is this something that is "on the list"?

Thanks,
    Until Bob implements it, how about dropping an empty region at each marker location maybe?
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Until Bob implements it, how about dropping an empty region at each marker location maybe?

Thanks that might help actually, except for when I need to zoom in to only 1 or 2 tracks on the timeline. One of the things I often do that having a big vertical line on the time line helps is when I need to make a cue that is exactly a certain length of time. So I drop a maker in place where I know the cue must end. Or if I have what I would call "hit points". So a cue might build up for the first 5 seconds, then sustain for another 15 seconds and then dip down for 5 secs with a bump on the end.

Just making something up there, but that is the kind of stuff I do on a fairly regular basis. So I would put in markers and it helps to have those sign posts as I may be assembling a dozen tracks with different things on them or something and it makes it a lot easier than looking for the small time marks at the bottom of the window.

Bob, for what it's worth I would be perfectly happy with them just having a number on them. And then the control track or something else would list which each number actually is. Honestly, most times when I'm working this way I don't even bother to give them a name. Most software will just give them a unique number and I don't bother to change them, as I know what each one is. I'm not using them to label the chorus or the bridge, etc, etc,...

Just my take on them anyway. Glad to hear that they are on the list for some day.

Thanks,
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Well... consider that all you are doing is using the reference lines to jump to in order to do some automation... seeing the line is not as powerful as jumping precisely to the spot... so... with an F-Key that constains the Control Track View window and the full list of marker locations... you just jump and do your automation... then jump and do your automation... trust... that the line on the screen will not really help with making that operation more efficient... all it really does is cloud the display and actually slow down screen redraws when there are lots of them.

Consider that what you are used to from other DAWs might not always be the most efficient way to work.

But... don't worry... it's on the list.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Well... consider that all you are doing is using the reference lines to jump to in order to do some automation... seeing the line is not as powerful as jumping precisely to the spot... so... with an F-Key that constains the Control Track View window and the full list of marker locations... you just jump and do your automation... then jump and do your automation... trust... that the line on the screen will not really help with making that operation more efficient... all it really does is cloud the display and actually slow down screen redraws when there are lots of them.

Consider that what you are used to from other DAWs might not always be the most efficient way to work.

But... don't worry... it's on the list.

Bob L
    MMMMmmmm... nice try... but no cigar.... or should I say hotdog? sorry.

I'm not looking for a line so that I can jump to it and do some automation. I'm looking for a reference line on the screen as I drag and drop regions into the multi-track and arrange them in the cue.

The visual helps a lot so as I am zooming in and out I can see those time points very quickly and easily. Even with the Multi-track full screen if I zoom in to make precise arrangements of clips (or regions as we call them here) I may not be able to see track 1 if I'm zoomed in and looking at track 10 through 12. But if I had a little vertical bar on the screen I would still be able to have a pretty good idea where the region or regions on that track were located, without having to zoom out, and look, or use the control track window and force my playback cursor to that point.

Anyway, I'm glad it's on the list.

Also, one other thing for "the list". I'd love for their to be a way to use the Page Up and Down in the Multi-track and not have the Multi-track window keep changing sizes and then I have to put it back to the size I had it at. Or please correct me if I'm wrong and there is a way to do that. And yes I know... I can use an F-Key, but since some times I'm working with very few tracks of audio and sometimes lots, there are only so many F-Key combos you can plan out ahead of time before it would just start to become so many that you can no longer remember which is which. At least that's what I'm finding in my brain anyway.

Sorry, I know this is nit picky stuff. But I'm a nit picky guy.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I'm not looking for a line so that I can jump to it and do some automation. I'm looking for a reference line on the screen as I drag and drop regions into the multi-track and arrange them in the cue.
    While waiting to see if Bob adds this feature...It seems a F-key combo of a well-place Control Track, where you can see the indexes, and the Control Track Window, where you can see the names of the indexes, would allow you to always center the screen around the index point. Also, in Select mode the cursor remains a stable visual ref.

Also, one other thing for "the list". I'd love for their to be a way to use the Page Up and Down in the Multi-track and not have the Multi-track window keep changing sizes...
    To get that Page-Down effect you can use the Shft-DwnArrow or Ctrl-DwnArrow. To scroll, right-click and drag, or Alt-ScrollWheel (depending on how you set up the SAW MT options)

Page-dwn will always change the size of the track (or waveform)...or am I misunderstanding your observation?
    Erik Friedlander
    ----------------------------------------------
    www.erikfriedlander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arco View Post
    While waiting to see if Bob adds this feature...It seems a F-key combo of a well-place Control Track, where you can see the indexes, and the Control Track Window, where you can see the names of the indexes, would allow you to always center the screen around the index point.
    +1

I was wondering through the whole thread if you are aware that you can see the markers on the Control Track. They show up as nice bright white lines - they look like automation except they are always there, whether A is on or not. Not a vertical through the entire MT, but you can certainly see 'em. You can can also shift-drag the CT to any track position in the MT.

If you develop an Fkey setup that you like for certain types of projects, you can save it by any name you like for recall any time. Make one for jobs with a few tracks, and one for jobs with lots of tracks. HTH.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Richard,
    You may want to look into the JMS Cue Sheet Generator. It leaves marker lines on the multi track screen as you add track IDs. Pretty handy when you just need a visual. http://www.jms-audioware.com/csg.htm
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Thanks Eric,

This is helpful. I hadn't thought about moving the location of the control track. This will at least allow me to see marker points I've dropped as long as I have that track visible. As soon as I might zoom in the track height obviously this might be less worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Arco View Post
    While waiting to see if Bob adds this feature...It seems a F-key combo of a well-place Control Track, where you can see the indexes, and the Control Track Window, where you can see the names of the indexes, would allow you to always center the screen around the index point. Also, in Select mode the cursor remains a stable visual ref.

To get that Page-Down effect you can use the Shft-DwnArrow or Ctrl-DwnArrow. To scroll, right-click and drag, or Alt-ScrollWheel (depending on how you set up the SAW MT options)

Page-dwn will always change the size of the track (or waveform)...or am I misunderstanding your observation?

What I mean is that as you change the height size of the tracks, the multi-track window itself changes size on the screen. I would rather the window just stay the same size and you see more or fewer tracks in that window as you zoom in and out of the track height.... like you know... most other DAWs.

I know, whenever you say that around here, it rubs fur the wrong way, but sorry... that's what I think.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound