Close

1. Default MOTU Output Problem

Greetings all...

I've tried to do some searches, and am coming up blank...

I'm a new SAC user with a MOTU 2408 MkII hooked up to a PCI 424 card. I have 2 ADA8000s hanging off the 2408 (Banks B and C) It seems like I have everything setup in SAC the way I want, and I am seeing signal on all my channels and getting it routed the way I want.

I want to set up the solo bus to the phones jack on the front of the 2408... Seems like I should just route it to the analog 1&2 output...

But whenever I have any sound coming in to anything... the ADA8000s or the analog ports on the 2408, everything is duplicated on the Phones jack. Even with SAC turned off...

I tried hitting the solo button once and every signal seemed to go everywhere...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Kelly

2. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

Analog 1 & 2 are also the main outputs. More than likely you have output 1 slotted to analog 1 & 2. Check your outputs and move output 1 to analog 3 & 4.

3. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

I set output 1 to be ADAT B 1-2, and those outputs are going to my mains fine.

I have analog 1-2 setup to be output 9.

I had a CD Player on analog inputs 5&6... I had a Keyboard setup on demo mode on ADAT C 5. I can hear both on the headphones even when the SAC engine isn't running. Even when they are muted in SAC.

If I hit the solo button, it looked like every meter went to max, and my mains were blasting. I was very thankful to have limiters in my speaker processors...

Thanks!

-Kelly

4. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

First I'd disconnect speakers at this point. Second, output 9 is not assignable to an output pair. Last thing is Cuemix should NOT be running when trying to run SAC. Also, make sure you've selected the ASIO option in SAC.

Also make sure the audio wire connection between your card and the 2408 hasn't become disconnected. With SAC NOT being live there is no way SAC could be passing that signal. Either Cuemix is doing it OR the 2408 has gone into standalone mode (which it could be) and it is passing all inputs to the outputs (which it can do depending on the off line set up).
    Last edited by Yogi; 11-16-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    First I'd disconnect speakers at this point. Second, output 9 is not assignable to an output pair. Last thing is Cuemix should NOT be running when trying to run SAC. Also, make sure you've selected the ASIO option in SAC.

Also make sure the audio wire connection between your card and the 2408 hasn't become disconnected. With SAC NOT being live there is no way SAC could be passing that signal. Either Cuemix is doing it OR the 2408 has gone into standalone mode (which it could be) and it is passing all inputs to the outputs (which it can do depending on the off line set up).
    Is there a way to keep the 2408 from going into standalone mode or if it does, disabling the audio going through? It seems like it would be common to have the computer shutoff, causing the 2408 to go into some other undesirable audio mode. It would be better if you could set it to not pass audio if the computer was disconnected.

6. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

Thanks for the replies...

I only sent that crazy signal to my speakers once. After that, I turned off the amps...

I've almost never run cuemix. I am running ASIO. I want to assign the solo button to output 9.

I don't think SAC is passing the signal.. I think the 2408 is doing it by itself... But when SAC sends signal to the solo buss (analog 1&2, output 9) the signal went everywhere, and loud... It didn't squeal, but I would not be surprised if it was some kind of feedback loop.

The LEDs on the front of the 2408 say it's in computer controlled mode. For grins I played with the stand alone mode of the 2408, and the headphones still gave me whatever signal was coming in to the 2408 or ADA8000s...

Everything works fine except the solo. I have sound as I would expect on the ADAT outs... Output 1 goes to my mains... Output 8 goes to a subwoofer. Output 7 goes to a feed in a different room. Outputs 2-6 well be monitors when I get there, but I'm changing FOH first, monitors second... (We have an existing separate monitor board on a split snake.)

Thanks!

-Kelly

7. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

AH, I get it now... Output 9 is assigned to outputs 1 - 8. See those numbers in the assignment section of output 9? That means whatever is on output 9 goes to outputs 1 - 8. Use the monitor mixes for monitors, Assign output 2 or 3 to go to the headphones. On the menu for solo pick your FOH and and Monitor solo output.

8. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Is there a way to keep the 2408 from going into standalone mode or if it does, disabling the audio going through? It seems like it would be common to have the computer shutoff, causing the 2408 to go into some other undesirable audio mode. It would be better if you could set it to not pass audio if the computer was disconnected.
    You can set it to do something harmless like route inputs to a unused output like TDIF. Once set from the front panel the setting will be maintained.

Frank
    Frank http://lbpinc.com/DI.html
    Born Again Christian
    Tea Party Member

9. Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

AH, I get it now... Output 9 is assigned to outputs 1 - 8. See those numbers in the assignment section of output 9? That means whatever is on output 9 goes to outputs 1 - 8. Use the monitor mixes for monitors, Assign output 2 or 3 to go to the headphones. On the menu for solo pick your FOH and and Monitor solo output.
    Ok... I'll give this a try...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Default Re: MOTU Output Problem

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    On the front panel of your 2408, you'll want to set the clock to internal (doesn't really matter what sample rate, just pick one). Then I typically pick an input source that has nothing plugged into it, such as the Tascam banks. Do this before you turn on the computer, once the computer is booted the 424 or 324 card will take control of the 2408 and you won't be able to adjust the stand alone settings until the computer is turned back off again.

This way, when the computer is shut off, none of your hardware is sitting there looking for a non existent word clock (which can cause all kinds of havoc, from simple clicks and pops to full blown white noise at full volume on the outputs... very bad!) And it also makes sure that none of your inputs are being routed to outputs at full volume, which is also possible.

I typically double check those setting with every power up, because while those settings are stored in the unit, there is an internal battery that holds the memory in place. If that battery dies or is getting weak, then the settings can be lost, so I always check just to be sure.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/