Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default OT Putting my speakers on a diet

Time to slightly update my very modest PA system. I've been using a pair of Altec 9849A studio monitors as mains. Basic, but very good, modified (adapted for pole mounting) 2-way system with 12" woofer and horn tweeter. We have been happy with the sound, but since we don't have roadies on call the 60 pounds per cabinet is a bit much to manage, especially when putting it up on the pole. So, I'm trying to find something that I can upgrade to as cheaply as possible, reducing the weight without sacrificing sound.

So far in talking to local music stores I'm told that most of the lighter used, and some new, stuff will be basically junk, and that most comparable sounding used stuff will be just as heavy, if not worse. So far more than one place has advised me that the closest I will get for reasonable cost and weight while keeping decent sound quality is probably the Peavey NEO series.

I am aware that Peavey is generally considered a name to avoid (as I have done up till now). Is this purely for "contract rider" reasons? Is any of their stuff worth bothering with? Are there any other decent budget-and-weight conscious suggestions short of building BFM cabs?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: OT Putting my speakers on a diet

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Are there any other decent budget-and-weight conscious suggestions short of building BFM cabs?
    I was going to suggest BFM, until I read the last line . How about getting some BFM cabs built for you? There might be a builder or owner in your area, and it sounds like a pair of Jack 10 on sticks could very well be sufficient for your needs.

Do you play recorded music or live? If live music, which instruments going through them, music styles, audience sizes, inside or out in the open?

Edit: there are a few BFM owners near you, I think they'd be happy to demo some of their cabs for you.
    Last edited by AntonZ; 11-16-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

3. Default Re: OT Putting my speakers on a diet

The Danley SM-60s are 50lbs each and seem well liked.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/SYNER...MODEL=SM%2060F

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    I was going to suggest BFM, until I read the last line . How about getting some BFM cabs built for you? There might be a builder or owner in your area, and it sounds like a pair of Jack 10 on sticks could very well be sufficient for your needs.
    Well... I'm sort of attempting the impossible. The strategic goal is to trade in my Altecs and add less than $200 to "move up". There is no way I am going to get quality cabinets built for that, never mind the cost of the drivers for them. Now, if I could sell my 9849A's for a good price, and turn the whole thing around in less than 2 weeks, that might be another matter.

Do you play recorded music or live? If live music, which instruments going through them, music styles, audience sizes, inside or out in the open?
    I have done recorded tracks with live singers, and choir concerts with multiple soloists, always indoors. Venue size well under 1,000 seats, and moderate sound levels. In the choir concerts, I don't even reinforce the choir, just bring soloists and the occasional instrument (lately cello, viola, and flute) up to balance with about 50+ voices.

I would like to be able to handle the average "rock band", but that would require much more than I am willing/able to spend/move/lift right now.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

If you have time, are handy & good with design, and don't need to satisfy riders, impossible things can be accomplished with non-standard custom builds...particularly if you spend some time cruising the major resellers like Parts Express, Madisound & the like for their buyout & closeout drivers.

Given the primary nature of your shows, you might be well served to consider some sort of micro-line array/subwoofer build project. The first prototypes I built cost me around $400 and yielded 9' arrays for each side of 48 2" 'full range' drivers from a buyout. Relatively smooth response from the line of 120-15k, around 1kw rated power, present the amp a 3.2 ohm load/side, reach to around 70' outdoors, and the whole mess stuffs into a dufflebag weighing 60lbs.

Those first efforts lack a bit for a rock band, unless the space is small, but run with subs crossed high they are fantastic for shows where medium volume, seamless coverage, and invisible footprint are the objectives.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

Quote Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post
    If you have time, are handy & good with design, and don't need to satisfy riders, impossible things can be accomplished with non-standard custom builds...particularly if you spend some time cruising the major resellers like Parts Express, Madisound & the like for their buyout & closeout drivers.

Given the primary nature of your shows, you might be well served to consider some sort of micro-line array/subwoofer build project. The first prototypes I built cost me around $400 and yielded 9' arrays for each side of 48 2" 'full range' drivers from a buyout. Relatively smooth response from the line of 120-15k, around 1kw rated power, present the amp a 3.2 ohm load/side, reach to around 70' outdoors, and the whole mess stuffs into a dufflebag weighing 60lbs.

Those first efforts lack a bit for a rock band, unless the space is small, but run with subs crossed high they are fantastic for shows where medium volume, seamless coverage, and invisible footprint are the objectives.
    Do you have any photos of those?

Quote Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
    The Danley SM-60s are 50lbs each and seem well liked.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/SYNER...MODEL=SM%2060F
    And the SH-100s are even lighter as long as you don't need to go over 123 dB program level @ 1m. They work best with a sub, as they roll off starting at 70 Hz, but above that they're by all accounts gorgeous. At 45 lbs they're one of the lightest serious boxes that you're going to find.

Danley is Good Stuff. Recommended. A bit expensive, but you definitely get your money's worth.

Personally, I use BFM DR200 boxes...about 35 pounds each SCREAMINGLY efficient...although it does take a fair amount of processing to make them sound "good". So do a lot of other nominally "pro" level boxes, though...you run them with their dedicated processor box or not at all.

Scott

I'm good at doing, horrible at documenting
    I was able to find a pic of them in use at a show...doesn't show much, but here it is. This is from an orchestral concert in a park, on each side two segments are providing delay reinforcement and one is acting as rear surround for the primary listening area. I ran a convolution reverb to the rear set and was able to provide an extremely realistic concert hall listening environment outdoors, the conductor came by afterwards to tell me he had done the Cincinnati orchestra a couple of weeks before and there was night and day difference, their sound was marginal, my show sounded amazing.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others

I found a second pic sent to me by a customer when he discovered them installed in yet another club, it came with the caption "man you're everywhere". It is sorta sideways (they are vertical & he was drinking) but it does show the step on the bottom sides where a coupler glued to the top of another segment allows them to be stacked easily and leave a seamless look.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company

Quote Originally Posted by Trackzilla View Post

I'm intrigued by the idea. Tried doing a search to find decent DIY info about it, and did not find anything useful. Can you point me toward info/plans/principles? Better yet, how about more details of how you built these?
    Last edited by Cary B. Cornett; 11-17-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"