Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Studio Reverb Routing Question

What is the technique to make an instance of Studio Reverb available using the Return/Aux Masters?

Rather than adding it individually channel to channel, I think there is a way make a single instance of the reverb or any other plug-in available in the mix on multiple channels using the Return/Aux, yes?

I want to put reverb on the vocal channels, but I don't need a custom reverb for each vocal, one reverb setting for all the vocals would be fine.

I remember doing this on my 01v96 before I sold it, but I didn't understand it very well on that device and I understand it even less on SAC. Can anyone assist? Or point me to where the directions are located?

Thanks!

Default Re: Studio Reverb Routing Question

Patch an instance of the verb on say aux return chan 1, pre or post. Use only the wet signal from the plug.

Assign aux return chan 1 to an output.. say 1, bring up the fader.

Go to the input chan of your choice and go to the aux send section that coresponds to the aux return channel that you patched the verb into, and turn on the send, then choose pre or post fader, then bring up the send fader.

hth
    Tony

Thanks very much.

"Patch an instance of the verb on say aux return chan 1, pre or post. Use only the wet signal from the plug."

so - it makes no difference if I use pre or post?
    turn the wet all the way up and the dry all the way down?

"Assign aux return chan 1 to an output.. say 1, bring up the fader."

the lower fader or the upper fader?

"Go to the input chan of your choice and go to the aux send section that coresponds to the aux return channel that you patched the verb into, and turn on the send, then choose pre or post fader, then bring up the send fader."

turn on the send=depress the In button?

myheadhurts.
    Last edited by ekimtoor1; 11-29-2010 at 08:17 PM.

4. Default Re: Studio Reverb Routing Question

If you're using some of the preset reverb modes, you'll see some of them with AUX in the name, these are preset to be 100% wet and are preconfiged to be used with an AUX send.

You shouldnt need to adjust the top aux master fader, just the main return fader.

ok, thanks, that's helpful.

I just can't quite get a picture in my head of what is going on in this feature. I suppose it will sink in eventually. Maybe I'll go sleep on it and see if it makes more sense in the morning.

appreciate it.

This is exactly how a physical console works... you use an aux send to send signals to the reverb and a return chan to pass the verb back into the main mix...

In this case you are using a virtual verb instead of a physical one.

As for turning the dry down and the wet up... set the wet lecvel to slightly under 100%... setting it higher may result in signal clipping on loud signals.

Bob L

I know it seems unintuitive at first, but it actually is exactly like using hardware, the only difference is the verb is a plug and the realm is virtual. Ok.. so that doesn't help

You are sending an aux signal from one of the aux sends on the channel, just like in the analog way, and you are receiving the sent signal from the channel to the reverb unit, in this case a plugin on a virtual aux channel strip, which has an input fader and an output fader, (in and out levels) just like a hardware reverb unit would, and then returning that signal from the verb unit(plug) back to a pre determined return channel, in this case aux return 1, which then must be assigned to the any main out channel (main out 1) to be mixed in with and heard through the mains.

The Aux sends 1-6 on each input channel, correspond to the Return channels 1-6 directly and exclusively.

I'm not helping am I.. Oh well, it's harder to explain than it actually is to do. And it works very well I might add once you get it.
    Tony

The biggest part of my problem here is I am not an audio person like many of you and I have never patched an effect in a system, physically or virtually. I am just a weekend muscian trying to make this work for my band.

I have never had to learn about these things before because I am usually covering the drumming, not the sound system. But, you know - here I am. The IT technology in SAC is no problem because that's my day gig, but things on the audio system other than simple faders and such - I'm trying to learn.

I feel like I've got a solid system built at this point. I've been running it recently 24x7 with only 1 or 2 slipped buffers here and there and now I'm trying to move on to these finer details. We've started rehearsing on the system and plan to take it out for the first time for our New Year's Eve gig.

So that's why I'm struggling a bit with your answers. My poor 54 year old brain is slow on allocating new cells for stuff like this. But with your help, I'll get it. Thanks for your patience while I come back to this thread and dip for more details over the next few days.

My first question is - when you patch in the plug to the return, why would you select pre or post? What am I making it pre or post to?

Thanks all.

You might use the pre patch so if you decide to tap the same reverb return to monitor mixers, you could still use the pre tap point to then have separate reverb return levels for each monitor mixer.

Bob L

10. Default Re: Studio Reverb Routing Question

Quote Originally Posted by ekimtoor1 View Post
    My first question is - when you patch in the plug to the return, why would you select pre or post? What am I making it pre or post to?

Thanks all.
    pre and post are almost always talking about pre or post fader. When you patch the plugin in at the pre-fader point, it means the audio will be sent to the plugin and it will be processed as if the fader was at unity. When you patch the plugin in at the post-fader point, the plugin will see the audio level based on the position of the return fader.

If you look at the Aus Assign section on the input faders, there is an option to choose Pst. If you select Pst (post-fader), the audio level being sent to the aux bus will be based on the level of the input fader. If you leave Pst unchecked, the audio is sent pre-fader which means the audio being sent to the aux bus is being sent at unity regardless if you have the fader at +20 or -inf.

Generally speaking, for an aux return, you can choose either pre or post and the result will be the same. As Bob just mentioned, if you were looking to duplicate the return channel feed in other mixers, you'd be better off patching it in pre-fader so that the level being sent to monitor mixers is not changed when you adjust the level of the return fader on the FOH mixer.