Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why does this work?

I just realized what I have been doing for a long time now should not work
    I am using a USB sound card (EGO Systems) on my remote for playback and sending the SPIDIF coaxial to the spidif in on the host
    How is it synced ??
    The host raydat is the master and I have no connection to the EGO in only the out
    I can even change the sample rate on the playback 44.1 or 48 and it still works

confused Butch

Default Re: Why does this work?

That got me thinking. I need to do CD playback next week. I have thought about hooking up SPDIF from a CD player into my sound card. But decided to use two analog inputs instead for fear of clock issues. I may give it a try anyway after your post.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

unsynced digital does pass audio
    [obviously]

unsync one of your pres if you dont believe it

it might go hours and not make a tick

it might motorboat in less than 10 seconds
    and send half your paper components
    to re-cone heaven

if it was me i'd either send analogue to the host
    or [not likely] let your spdif clock the system

ymmv

4. Default Re: Why does this work?

spdif IN takes it's clock from the sending source. Usually it is the only source in when it's receiving data so syncing to a word clock or to other sources is not a problem. Most cards (raydat included) do not sync the spdif input to other things UNLESS the sender can also receive (which most CD players cannot do). Think of spdif as being on it's own digital island and unless there is a bridge that allows traffic both ways it will always sync to it's incoming signal (for only the spdif circuit).

Some sound cards will resample the SPDIF input and lock it to the master clock. I don't know enough about the RayDAT to know if it will do that or not. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Either that... or you were just getting lucky. Typically when doing something like that where clocks are not locked, you still will get audio just fine. It's just that you'll get ticks in the audio, or odd out of phase sounding issues.

Usually you only get the full burst of white noise when you bring up some device that has no clock at all. Like a preamp set to external clock with no external clock present.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

OK, I'm going to try setting up foobar with remote plugin. I need to start and stop CD (or WAV/MP3) playback, most probably sitting some distance away from the rig. I will be bringing a laptop and SAC remote. Might as well add foobar with web control then. That sounds safer to me than the CD SPDIF that may or may not lock or resample properly at seemingly random moments. Thanks for the helpful comments. Apologies to confused Butch for derailing your thread with my additional question.
    Last edited by AntonZ; 12-10-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    That got me thinking. I need to do CD playback next week. I have thought about hooking up SPDIF from a CD player into my sound card. But decided to use two analog inputs instead for fear of clock issues. I may give it a try anyway after your post.
    I have 2 channels permanently assigned for "media:" 23 and 24. This way you're covered when someone shows up with an iPod or wants to plug their laptop (PowerPoint presentation) into the mains, etc. In addition, I have a brick-wall limit set up on this channel for rogue .mp3 files recorded too hot, which I *always* get from the likes of iPhones, etc. Also (I haven't done this yet), from now on I will also have ducking set up so all I have to do is activate Rvs Gate and assign the Key channel (the lead singer/wireless mic) and it's good to go. This is perfect for weddings or other stuff because it allows me to walk away from the console and not have to worry that the music is going to get too loud (Compression) or that the music is going to cover the drunk groom's random announcements.

I will have to check out Foobar. I'm intrigued at the idea of controlling a CD player remotely. Off the top of my head, I believe my rack-mount Tascam has an IR interface with a remote. I acquired the thing as payment for a webpage I built...brand new. It sat for a year and I used it for one show like 2 years ago. Great piece of antiquated gear.
    Last edited by Donnie Frank; 12-10-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post
    I have 2 channels permanently assigned for "media:" 23 and 24. This way you're covered when someone shows up with an iPod or wants to plug their laptop (PowerPoint presentation) into the mains, etc. In addition, I have a brick-wall limit set up on this channel for rogue .mp3 files recorded too hot, which I *always* get from the likes of iPhones, etc. Also (I haven't done this yet), from now on I will also have ducking set up so all I have to do is activate Rvs Gate and assign the Key channel (the lead singer/wireless mic) and it's good to go. This is perfect for weddings or other stuff because it allows me to walk away from the console and not have to worry that the music is going to get too loud (Compression) or that the music is going to cover the drunk groom's random announcements.

I will have to check out Foobar. I'm intrigued at the idea of controlling a CD player remotely. Off the top of my head, I believe my rack-mount Tascam has an IR interface with a remote. I acquired the thing as payment for a webpage I built...brand new. It sat for a year and I used it for one show like 2 years ago. Great piece of antiquated gear.
    I do all of the above: I have a stereo pair reserved for iPod or whatever and I run Foobar with the output assigned to S/PDIF and connected back to the S/PDIF input which shows up on a SAC fader. I have foo_httpcontrol as the remote for Foobar and a resampling plugin for Foobar that converts the program material to 48khz. I have a big collection of mp3 and FLAC files on the host in a "tunez" directory. I works flawlessly. I also have the solo output going to an IEM transmitter for soloing from anywhere in the room. Also, a wireless mic serves as a talkback and an MC mic.

The Raydat must sync the spidif in on its own because I have been using it this way for a long time with no audible ticks pops of any kind even with different clock timing and running down 150 foot of cat 5 stranded cable.

Butch

10. Default Re: Why does this work?

I'm taking SPDIF in from a CD deck to my Raydats which are the clocks, and definitely had to clock at 44.1 rather than 48 in order to avoid a bunch of nastiness.