Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Native plugins - multiple instances?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    They're currently labeled with the track number on which they're patched. Is that what you mean?
    No, that still wouldn't help me if I have more than one instance patched in a single channel. E.g.:

• two or three levelizers patched in, one for gentle compression, a second for brickwalling (or to achieve something similar to the FMR compressor's Super Nice Mode)
    • two eq's patched on an output: one with a fixed eq for my cabs, another for room corrections and/or notching

A free text label would help there: e.g. a label with the cab make/type, room name, "voc brckwll", "mon1 notch". Same if I have two or three reverbs on different auxes, like for shrt vocal, lng vocal, drums/percussion. I know they are on returns 1 to 3, but short names would more sense to me than the return channel numbers.

Probably nitpicking here, no need to add it just for me, but do speak up if anyone else finds this useful.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Quote Originally Posted by AntonZ View Post
    but do speak up if anyone else finds this useful.
    I've thought about having a feature like that many times.

No, that still wouldn't help me if I have more than one instance patched in a single channel. E.g.:

• two or three levelizers patched in, one for gentle compression, a second for brickwalling (or to achieve something similar to the FMR compressor's Super Nice Mode)
    • two eq's patched on an output: one with a fixed eq for my cabs, another for room corrections and/or notching

A free text label would help there: e.g. a label with the cab make/type, room name, "voc brckwll", "mon1 notch". Same if I have two or three reverbs on different auxes, like for shrt vocal, lng vocal, drums/percussion. I know they are on returns 1 to 3, but short names would more sense to me than the return channel numbers.

Probably nitpicking here, no need to add it just for me, but do speak up if anyone else finds this useful.
    I hear ya. In another post earlier today I mentioned that annoyance. Happens to me when I split out two levelizers on a channel -- one for compression and one for limiting. I like checking the discrete meter action to see what's happening on each instantiation. Sometimes I confuse one for the other.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Anton... what a great idea! (don't know how that would fit in the Bitmap ... but pretty cool... I could have just used that tonight! Still... when I think of suggestions... I keep thinking.... (like a Lightening McQueen whisper...) "Speed, Speed, Speed.... let's don't suggest anything that would slow down this blazing fast DAW engine... lean, mean Speed!!"
    Given that anyway - I second Anton's suggestion - very nice!
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I would still want to see the channel numbers, but, yes, an optional short name would be nice.

For when I am using a saved preset file (such as for a speaker correction curve), I would like the name of that preset to show up somewhere, perhaps in the title bar instead of the plugin name.
    Also, if I have loaded a preset and then make a change of adjustment somewhere, I would like to see an asterisk displayed (*) either in front of or at the end of the preset name.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Nice to hear this might be helpful to others as well. A "modified" identifier would be useful too, indeed. * somewhere would do fine and doesn't take up much screen real estate. Not sure if it would distract rather than help the novice user, yet another UI thingy to discover, clutter op the UI.

Only Bob can judge if any of this has performance consequences, fits his schedule, and his view of things in general. I'm a very small player (think "weekend warrior SAC user, band on the back burner") so don't do this just for me.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Quote Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
    Maybe it's possible to copy the plugins to create multiple copies? Copy the original dll file to saweq2.dll, saweq3.dll and loading multiple instances of them that way? Don't forget to update the ini file.

No idea of this works, just throwing it out there as something to try.

hello 905
    that was a great idea, tried it and it worked.
    I'm using a lot of Levelizers as comp. aswell as brickLimiters
    sometimes in a hurry, it's confusing wich levelizer is on the screen.
    now I have a Levelizer (default) wich I use as Compressor
    and a new Levelizer (Studio_FX_Levelizer_2.dll) wich I'm using as bricklimiter.
    Tried it last weekend on 2 shows, works very well.
    did the same to the Eq, Echo and SignalSwich.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Hey, 905, I copied the dll and renamed the new one (and updated the ini file), and...believe it or not...it actually works...with possibly 2 caveats:

1. In the FX Choices, "Studio Graphic Equalizer" is listed for both plugin instances. I see no way to change this externally...perhaps such a coding change by Bob would be quicker and easier than recoding the plugin itself for multiple instances. But...I can live with this as is.

2. Upon loading both plugin instances, their interfaces are, of course, identical. The only external workaround I can think of is to modify the bitmap in the second dll...well, not I, since I'm not up to creating or modifying shades. But...again, I can live with this as is.

However, in light of the above.......

Bob, in the case of the *EQ*, why not simply allow 2 or, perhaps, 3 instances in the same manner as you did with the Frequency Analyzer?

I believe this would simplify the process and resolve the "issue" quite nicely...especially since the above dll duplication scheme might not actually work in a stable manner. []

Thanks and regards,
    MikeDee

I did change the GUI of the levelizer 2
    is this an idea?

greetings
    janneman

Thumbs up Re: Native plugins - multiple instances?

That certainly works, janneman! Glad this is working for you...it raised my confidence level a few rungs.

I'll assume you already have all the numbers, which you can then "stick onto" as many GUIs as you wish.

Best regards,
    Míke È. Déè

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Bob, in the case of the *EQ*, why not simply allow 2 or, perhaps, 3 instances in the same manner as you did with the Frequency Analyzer?
    []
    Thanks and regards,
    Only problem is there.... lots of us like to use the Levelizer in more than just 3 instances in a session. Currently, the FA has a small limit to the number of times it can be used (which is fine because of the nature of the use of that kind of app). However, the Levelizer's usage is a different story.

Bob & ya'll .... how about this as a solution to all senarios?
    An input text box (which displays on the face of the GUI of the Levelizer) where we can simply type what the usage is for that instance!!

That way we see exactly what we're using it for and where we're using it!
    (it's custom for whatever we want to type in)!

So for instance: In the Levelizer INPUT LABEL BOX I would type the following.... (which tells me far more than numbers!)
    Track 3 Pre Levelizer: Label: "Trk 3 Pre Comp-Bolton"
    Track 3 Pst Levelizer: Label: "Trk 3 Pst Lim-Bolton"

Track 4 Pre Levelizier: Label: "Trk 4 Pre SdChn-Carl"

Track 5 Pst Levelizer: Label: "Trk 5 Pst Comp-Carl"

Track 6 Pst Levelizer Label: "Trk 6 Pst Comp1, 2:1
    Track 6 Pst Levelizer Label: "Trk 6 Pst Comp2, 8:1

Output 1 Pst Levelizer Label: "Out 1 Pst Lim."

Nice? It's a simple and definitive way to always keep track of:
    1. What Channel it's patched into
    2. What FX patch is used
    3. What position inside that track it's used in

Good?
    Last edited by Carl G.; 02-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I'll look into the idea.

Bob L