Close

Thread: SoundToys

Default SoundToys

HI!! Anyone using SoundToys plugins? http://www.soundtoys.com/

I'm loving these... a lot! Great sound, great interfaces, great presets. Generally, the hardware emulations are actually better than UA to me!

And though these don't have specific 'vintage' hardware 'looks'... EchoBoy (for example) has echoplex presets. I A/Bed against the UA 'echoplex' and I'd take Echoboy over it any day! It doesn't look like the hardware but closing my eyes it sounds more like the hardware... what a concept eh? Mixing with ears, not eyes!

So Echoboy seems to out echoplex the big boys! Actually the SoundToys plugins have some major league endorsements.

Anyway.... the down side.... I'm having some problems at this point and wondering if anyone else here has tried them in SAWStudio?

There's a 30 day demo period and I'm about half way. For I'd say the first week all was well... no problems at all. Then suddenly EDL's with these in them wouldn't open. I'm deep into some mixes and it's a problem. I have a work around but it's a pain. (save presets... shut down SAW; take them out of the vst folder; restart SAW, remove plugin links, resave,, shutdwon, replace plugins in vst folder... restart... add plugins and recall settings.. da, da, da... )

They run fine.... no crashes... SS just won't start with them loaded in an edl. I tried by-passing them before saving as well and that works *IF* they will stay by-passed. Usually for some reason they open back up 'on'. If I leave them open on top when I save, I can see this when I restart SS... just before SS closes.

Anyway.... I'm wondering if anyone has bought them and how they are working. They are iLok and the demos may be causing a problem.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!
    Perry

Default Re: SoundToys

FWIW Echoboy is my "go to" delay! And out of the bundle I use it on every single mix. My second favorite is "Pan Man" & third is Crystallizer. The rest I hardly ever use. Sorry but I can not comment on how they work with SAW and only on the quality of the plug ins themselves.
    Joe

I also use a few different Sound Toys plug-ins I have collected over the years, a few of which were freebies with Pro Tools updates.

So I also can't comment on how they work with SAW, but I love them for what they do, and they do very well.

Thomas

Ahhh! Well... figured out that the problem seems to have something to do with saving the settings. I started using the save function in the plugins (which I like how they are organized) and apparently that is when the problem started. I was trying to figure out what had changed and just tried saving the settings in SAWStudio and now they are opening fine.... Yipeee!

Very happy because I do really like these little buggers!

Cheers!
    Perry

And thanks for the replies! I like EchoBoy and Crystallizer...and for some analog goodness... overdrive/console sound... even amp type sound... Decapitator rules!!! Seriously!

I'm mixing some blues stuff from Chicago and I have some of the Guitar Amp simulation stuff that is quite good but in general prefer Decapitator for some re-amping. These guys have this analog sound down! It's smokin!

And again... saving the settings in SAWStudio seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why but saving in the plugin itself seems to cause a conflict I guess. Ummm.... haven't tried but maybe it's a case of having two 'different' saved settings? I'll have to test that out when I have more time but for the moment I'm happy to be back trucking!

Yeow!

Perry

Decapitator is cool to. . .

Quote Originally Posted by soundtrack2life View Post
    Decapitator is cool to. . .
    Oh yea.... Love the Decapitator!!! Really.... awesome.

The 3 I am using most at the moment are Decapitator, Crystallizer (a Harmonizer for $179??) and Echo Boy (so much more than JUST an echo).

SoundToys are doing some serious stuff with these.... looking forward to hearing their analog channel strip hardware emulations once that's out.

I'm also digging the Steve Slate Digital stuff.... TRIGGER is awesome! Just upgraded to the Premium version.

What I am REALLY wanting to try out IS real hardware... the SLATE DRAGON... essentially pretty much an 1176 hardware clone with something akin to a Distressor built in... all for less than the price of a UA 1176. I want one!!!!

OTOH... the SOUNDTOYS Decapitator probably gets close with software.

BTW the Slate software is the bomb too! I used to use Drumagog. . . . . until I tried Trigger I also own FX-G. I really like what it does for a quick "master". It is very transparent. I actually mix with it on sometimes. Depending on what the project calls for I will then turn it off and do a TBM "to be mastered mix" and an "artist mix" for them to go home with. Then there are some clients that cant afford mastering and I will provide an in house master. FWIW I don't consider myself an ME but with FX-G I can do a great job of providing the client what they want / need. If you have not already downloaded the demo be sure to give it a whirl. . . . and last but not least I also purchased his Virtual Console Collection. While it is kinda still in a public beta it is way usable (not sure if it can still be purchased right now). Slate actually sent out iLok2's for free to everyone that purchased it early on so that when they release the final version it will only work on the iLok2. FWIW Steven Slate and his crew are really on to something! The plugins that they make IMO are "game changers" One day I would love to try out his hardware too. My $.02
    Joe

I'm also digging the Steve Slate Digital stuff.... TRIGGER is awesome! Just upgraded to the Premium version.
    Ha ha! Me too

Anybody want to buy BFD2