Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OT: Cui Bono EDL Convert support

Anyone know how to go about getting a new unlock code for the old EDL Convert program? I'm trying to unlock it on my new computer, and the email I sent to the last good email address I have for Axel Gutzler at Cui Bono Soft is apparently no longer valid. I communicated with him in February 2008, when he said they'd continue to try to help old customers if problems came up.

I could just keep reinstalling it every 30 days, but...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: OT: Cui Bono EDL Convert support

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Anyone know how to go about getting a new unlock code for the old EDL Convert program? I'm trying to unlock it on my new computer, and the email I sent to the last good email address I have for Axel Gutzler at Cui Bono Soft is apparently no longer valid. I communicated with him in February 2008, when he said they'd continue to try to help old customers if problems came up.

I could just keep reinstalling it every 30 days, but...
    Dave - unfortunately afaik you are out of luck. Cuibono sold all of it's assets to SSL and is out of business itself. So afaik there is no company out there that can actually provide you an activation code - short of repurchasing the software (now known as SSL Pro Convert, and featuring a number of updates from the Cuibono version) from SSL. It's possible SSL will give you a discount on your purchase based on your Cuibono serial number - but I'm not sure about this. Seems worth inquiring on this though. http://www.solid-state-logic.com/post/pro-convert/

Anyway - scenarios like this are just one more reason why I'm extremely grateful that Bob has never used a copy protection scheme on any of his products.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic View Post
    Dave - unfortunately afaik you are out of luck. Cuibono sold all of it's assets to SSL and is out of business itself. So afaik there is no company out there that can actually provide you an activation code - short of repurchasing the software (now known as SSL Pro Convert, and featuring a number of updates from the Cuibono version) from SSL. It's possible SSL will give you a discount on your purchase based on your Cuibono serial number - but I'm not sure about this. Seems worth inquiring on this though. http://www.solid-state-logic.com/post/pro-convert/

Anyway - scenarios like this are just one more reason why I'm extremely grateful that Bob has never used a copy protection scheme on any of his products.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Well, I knew they'd sold to SSL, but I had the impression that they'd still provide some basic support to 'legacy' users. Of course, that was the impression I got three years ago.

I think I'd rather re-install every 30 days than pay more money. I only use it for OMF-to-SAWStudio conversions these days. I'm also going to look into using PT to import OMFs, then I could always consolidate for SS import. As it is, EDL Convert doesn't preserve any mix info, let alone automation info, in the converted SSL EDL, so it's not doing a whole lot more than providing multi-channel sync audio transfer.

UPDATE: BTW -- I'd used the register@ email address that the software tells you to use in attaining an unlock code, but I just found a different (support@) email address -- the one I'd used to correspond with Axel in early 2008. I'm trying that one, now. I'm not optimistic, but what the hey...
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Well, I knew they'd sold to SSL, but I had the impression that they'd still provide some basic support to 'legacy' users. Of course, that was the impression I got three years ago.

I think I'd rather re-install every 30 days than pay more money. I only use it for OMF-to-SAWStudio conversions these days. I'm also going to look into using PT to import OMFs, then I could always consolidate for SS import. As it is, EDL Convert doesn't preserve any mix info, let alone automation info, in the converted SSL EDL, so it's not doing a whole lot more than providing multi-channel sync audio transfer.

UPDATE: BTW -- I'd used the register@ email address that the software tells you to use in attaining an unlock code, but I just found a different (support@) email address -- the one I'd used to correspond with Axel in early 2008. I'm trying that one, now. I'm not optimistic, but what the hey...
    If you are sending these to the old cuibono-soft.com url be aware that there's just a generic domain place holder page on there now!

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic View Post
    If you are sending these to the old cuibono-soft.com url be aware that there's just a generic domain place holder page on there now!

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Hmmm... I think I knew that. I guess that pretty much guarantees the email addresses to that domain are no good no mo'.
    Becket, Massachusetts

....and should you want to get a fully functioning program (or, at least a promised to be soon fully functioning in SAWStudio) you could consider the very reasonably priced AA Translator. http://www.aatranslator.com.au/
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    ....and should you want to get a fully functioning program (or, at least a promised to be soon fully functioning in SAWStudio) you could consider the very reasonably priced AA Translator. http://www.aatranslator.com.au/
    Thanks Richard. Contrary to popular belief work has progressed on the 'export to saw studio' functionality in AATranslator.

We have just been so flat out with support, new formats and quite frankly stupid PT idiosyncracies - we lost about a week (or maybe it just felt like it when there is no sleep) trying to debug PT's crazy pre/post xfades.
    sigh....

We also have a huge unrelated audio conversion app that has been consuming resources like there is no tomorrow.

But we continue to chip away.

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    Thanks Richard. Contrary to popular belief work has progressed on the 'export to saw studio' functionality in AATranslator.

We have just been so flat out with support, new formats and quite frankly stupid PT idiosyncracies - we lost about a week (or maybe it just felt like it when there is no sleep) trying to debug PT's crazy pre/post xfades.
    sigh....

We also have a huge unrelated audio conversion app that has been consuming resources like there is no tomorrow.

But we continue to chip away.
    Good to hear (the part about progress on the SAWStudio front, not the PT issues )

@Dave: did you look at this program?
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Good to hear (the part about progress on the SAWStudio front, not the PT issues )

@Dave: did you look at this program?
    A little. Hard to tell what kind of parameters will be importable to SAW from OMF. That's what I'm all about. Do you know the skinny?
    Becket, Massachusetts

A little. Hard to tell what kind of parameters will be importable to SAW from OMF. That's what I'm all about. Do you know the skinny?
    My understanding is that not many of the conversions from SAWStudio to other formats are yet implemented, but plans are definitely in place to do so. As for as the other way, I don't think they're very far along, but working on it.

You can e-mail Michael at the company (through the link on the website-- the URL is in my earlier post) and he is very good at responding. I have a feeling it's going to be a company that is service based, much like SAWStudio. I'm sure he will address any specific questions you have.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording