Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Funky graphics display in Windows 7

The set locate point dialog looks like this over here (three different ways):

Notice how the actual field and the graphic fields don't quite line up (but the text does, so I guess that's by design).

Any ideas on how to clean this up?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Funky graphics display in Windows 7

Is it a window padding issue?
    -Craig

Use the Windows Classic Theme or turn off Border Padding manually... info is in the Win 7 Tweaks doc on the SAC site.

Bob L

Same thing Bob helped me out with years ago when I had to edit on a new Vista =0( laptop.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Use the Windows Classic Theme or turn off Border Padding manually... info is in the Win 7 Tweaks doc on the SAC site.

Bob L
    Bob, I did your SAC tweaks... keeping (most of) the Windows 7 theme, but turning off all the bad stuff. I'm still getting occasional corruption of the cursor and zooming in SAW, too.

I'll check in the morning to be sure it's all still turned off. I'd really rather not have to keep the classic look. I'm ready for a change.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Well... my guess is that the cursor corruption is due to the Display Composition option you probably did not turn off... this causes multiple layers of screen redraws for each screen update and is generally way too slow to keep up with the cursor updates in realtime.

Bob L

Well... my guess is that the cursor corruption is due to the Display Composition option you probably did not turn off... this causes multiple layers of screen redraws for each screen update and is generally way too slow to keep up with the cursor updates in realtime.

Bob L
    I'm pretty sure I turned that option off per your SAC notes, since that was explained. I'll check, though.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Bob,

Are there plans to modify Saw 5.0's interface to be more compatible with Windows 7? Buying a new machine with XP is becoming much more difficult. Plus, I really like many of the features of Win 7 (including the eye candy). I haven't made the machine and OS upgrade yet; but plan to later this year.

You guys must realize that as the OS gets more and more bloated there is only so much my code can do... if some of the newer Windows features kills performance... then they must be bypassed.

If the new display routines in Windows are 7 to 8 times slower with all the fancy stuff active... there's not much I can do about it to fix this?

There will have to be some concessions made... do you want high performance or fancy transparent screen displays? Both... ok... then wait for the machines to get 7 or 8 times faster as well.

A great Nascar driver is not going to win any races in an old clunker of a car no matter how good he drives... the car is part of the overall picture as well.

Bob L

You guys must realize that as the OS gets more and more bloated there is only so much my code can do... if some of the newer Windows features kills performance... then they must be bypassed.

If the new display routines in Windows are 7 to 8 times slower with all the fancy stuff active... there's not much I can do about it to fix this?

There will have to be some concessions made... do you want high performance or fancy transparent screen displays? Both... ok... then wait for the machines to get 7 or 8 times faster as well.

A great Nascar driver is not going to win any races in an old clunker of a car no matter how good he drives... the car is part of the overall picture as well.

Bob L
    Bob, I have the transparency stuff turned off.

Maybe what we're saying is... other apps seem to be able to deal with this, so why not SAW? Maybe we're okay with the performance trade-off. After all, the rest of the world is. Why not us? Maybe the performance trade-off is so minute as to be a practical non-issue by today's processing standards?

I mean... why not go with monochrome displays? Wouldn't that boost performance a bit? I'm no expert, so maybe that's apples and oranges. My point is that maybe there's plenty of performance to be had even with a nice looking interface. Even other, non-assembly-code apps seem to be doing okay, right?
    Becket, Massachusetts