Close

Default Superior Drummer Question

Ok, so i just got an alesis dm10, got superior drummer going and want to track each midi channel to a track in saw, aka kick snare, tom1, ride etc etc. Just cant quite figure out how im supposed to do that.

Bearing in mind i want hte sound coming outta superior not the midi notes or anything like that.

Thanks in advance great Saw Gods.

Colin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Superior Drummer Question

Quote Originally Posted by drumboyyy View Post
    Ok, so i just got an alesis dm10, got superior drummer going and want to track each midi channel to a track in saw, aka kick snare, tom1, ride etc etc. Just cant quite figure out how im supposed to do that.

Bearing in mind i want hte sound coming outta superior not the midi notes or anything like that.

Thanks in advance great Saw Gods.

Colin
    If you record into SAWStudio you will be recording .wav and you will not be able to run it back into superior. You have to record into Midi Workshop and then run the midi back into Superior and then when you like everything you then convert it all into .wav up into Saw.

So you will have to have MWS or at least the Demo, the demo lets you record up to about a min.

Blog Entries

I did some testing and I can not get Superior to go out to different separate channels in SAW? Maybe it can be done but I can not figure it out?

The simple fix is to just record into MWS and play back through superior this way you can use Superiors mixer and effects and you will also be able to edited your performance easily in MWS. Checkout my video where I show how to step draw drum beats but instead of using Step Draw you just trigger Superior with the DM10.

Also if you have not already checkout the DM10 Forum its very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I did some testing and I can not get Superior to go out to different separate channels in SAW? Maybe it can be done but I can not figure it out?

The simple fix is to just record into MWS and play back through superior this way you can use Superiors mixer and effects and you will also be able to edited your performance easily in MWS. Checkout my video where I show how to step draw drum beats but instead of using Step Draw you just trigger Superior with the DM10.

Also if you have not already checkout the DM10 Forum its very helpful
    If you want the multi track out, the way I'm doing it is to record the midi from dm10 to MWS then if SD is the full and not the EZ version, I would run EZPlayer Pro in SD and chose the multi out. Then place the wav's into SS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HapHazzard View Post
    If you want the multi track out, the way I'm doing it is to record the midi from dm10 to MWS then if SD is the full and not the EZ version, I would run EZPlayer Pro in SD and chose the multi out. Then place the wav's into SS.
    I can not get SD to go multi output to SAW channels pleas do tell how you do this?

I can not get SD to go multi output to SAW channels pleas do tell how you do this?
    Can't do that either. That would be neat but you can't do it within SS because, it being a VST will only work as a single stereo channel device.

That's why after recording the midi I take the *.mid to SD's EZPlayer Pro (SD's Midi recorder/Player) load it into the player's track, then in its rendering mode I request the multi out feature. I end up with about 16-24chs of drums. Wow! Place the regions into SAW and treat it just like real drum mixdown in SS.

As for as a VST in SS, it comes in handy to config the general drum sound with the band before transfering to EZPlayer for the final wav files.

Did I answer your Q?
    Hap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HapHazzard View Post
    Can't do that either. That would be neat but you can't do it within SS because, it being a VST will only work as a single stereo channel device.

That's why after recording the midi I take the *.mid to SD's EZPlayer Pro (SD's Midi recorder/Player) load it into the player's track, then in its rendering mode I request the multi out feature. I end up with about 16-24chs of drums. Wow! Place the regions into SAW and treat it just like real drum mixdown in SS.

As for as a VST in SS, it comes in handy to config the general drum sound with the band before transfering to EZPlayer for the final wav files.

Did I answer your Q?
    Hap
    I guess but it's a pain in the butt and too much trouble. I would just record everything to a single midi track, edit and then use SD's mixer and effects to mix the drums and from there just render.

1 midi track and SD easy.

I do not see then need to convert all the drums to .wav on there own track when you all ready have full control over all the drums in SD.

brettbrandon Guest

You should be able to do this by
    1 Patching Superior Drummer into a audio channel. Input should be assigned to "Multitrack".

2. Click on the blue triangle in the plugin window and in the dropdown menu there is a selection for "Assign SoftSynth Multi-Out Chans". Assign as many channels as you need. It will use whatever channels right after the original channel. Also, you can not be in live mode to assign the channels.

3. Go to the mixer window in Superior Drummer and assign the output for each channel by clicking in the output channel window at the bottom. (I tried it in EZdrummer so I don't know if the window layout is the same).

4. When you enter live mode, you should hear your drums coming from the seperate channels...

Brett