Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Solid State Hard Drives

Who is using SSD in their SAC systems ? Any problems ?
    Douglas Grimm
    FOH/MON Engineer

2. Default Re: Solid State Hard Drives

running an ocz ulitmate boot drive 30 gig on my xp system. I love it system boots up in ruffly 10 seconds

Default Re: Solid State Hard Drives

2 2-Space rack computers in my rack, both with 40 gig OCZ SS hard drives. Also have removable sata hd bays for recording data.
    No problems. Blazing fast.

Ditto. Two years on my host.

KUI

5. Default Re: Solid State Hard Drives

Almost 2 years for us as well. The decision to use SSD was not for speed but for sturdiness since we're a portable system that gets wheeled in and out of a trailer each week that also sees temps from -30c to +30c!

6. Default Re: Solid State Hard Drives

I have a OCZ Vertex 60 gig for my OS drive. I use hot swappable spin disks for my recording and archive drives. The OCZ drives don't have a trim utilities to date that I am aware of. The Microsoft SSD do have programs for trim. Make sure that you can utilize trim on whatever drive you go with. PS I installed XP in less than 5 minutes, WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Discipled1 View Post
    I have a OCZ Vertex 60 gig for my OS drive. I use hot swappable spin disks for my recording and archive drives. The OCZ drives don't have a trim utilities to date that I am aware of. The Microsoft SSD do have programs for trim. Make sure that you can utilize trim on whatever drive you go with. PS I installed XP in less than 5 minutes, WOW!
    What is the "trim" utility, and why do I need it?

Thanx!
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

After reading his post I had the same question, which sent me on an hour and a half journey through cyberspace getting clued in about it

The best thing I could say if you want to know what it is, would be to search SSD TRIM. I have a feeling you're probably doing that right now.

It would seem that these super fast drives could in time, be rendered almost useless with out it.
    Tony

No problems. Only moving parts in my machine are the fans.

As for TRIM support, even forcing these drives to do the whole read-erase-write cycle is STILL faster than a single write on conventional media. Yes, it can optimize a drive, but the downside is really not that bad,

10. Default Re: Solid State Hard Drives

Here is a link to info for TRIM : http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...nce-and-trim/1

Make sure to read up on the SSD forum of you hard drive of choice. I hope this helps.

The quick and dirty answer is TRIM takes the garbage out!

Greg