Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question OT: Trouble playing/converting QT video

Help!!
    I've been given some video files to match and replace the audio track with the mix I recorded. I've done this in the past, but never received files with this particular format... not that I know much about the video side of things...
    I've never seen this "apco" codec ID (in the handful of projects I've worked on) and suspect that it might be what's hanging me up on the PC.

I can play the files in any media player I have, but only get audio. The only player I've been able to see the video on is on a different PC that has itunes (and the quicktime player that installs with it by default). Of course, I can't convert these files to a useable format to put into SAW using this QT player.

Could someone give me some hints as to how I get these files to play porperly on a Windows PC and how to convert them to import into SAW?

Every attempt I've mad so far to convert them with my limited tools has failed and SAW won't open them at all, saying there's trouble building the video graph.

Thanks for any help!!

Following is the info I got using KMPlayer
    Codec ID : qt
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime
    com.apple.finalcutstudio.media.uuid : 3A2B732C-4EE3-43BE-B0CE-0FFC86174469
    Video #1
    ID : 1
    Format : apco
    Codec ID : apco
    Duration : 1mn 6s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 6 545 Kbps
    Width : 360 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.500
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.528
    Stream size : 52.0 MiB (90%)
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-06-06 16:30:19
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-06-06 16:30:29
    Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : raw
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 705.6 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Stream size : 5.61 MiB (10%)
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Default Re: OT: Trouble playing/converting QT video

Maybe you could try Format Factory...?
    http://www.pcfreetime.com/
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

The video won't play in Quicktime?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Help!!
    I've been given some video files to match and replace the audio track with the mix I recorded. I've done this in the past, but never received files with this particular format... not that I know much about the video side of things...
    I've never seen this "apco" codec ID (in the handful of projects I've worked on) and suspect that it might be what's hanging me up on the PC.

I can play the files in any media player I have, but only get audio. The only player I've been able to see the video on is on a different PC that has itunes (and the quicktime player that installs with it by default). Of course, I can't convert these files to a useable format to put into SAW using this QT player.

Could someone give me some hints as to how I get these files to play porperly on a Windows PC and how to convert them to import into SAW?

Every attempt I've mad so far to convert them with my limited tools has failed and SAW won't open them at all, saying there's trouble building the video graph.

Thanks for any help!!

Following is the info I got using KMPlayer
    Codec ID : qt
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime
    com.apple.finalcutstudio.media.uuid : 3A2B732C-4EE3-43BE-B0CE-0FFC86174469
    Video #1
    ID : 1
    Format : apco
    Codec ID : apco
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 6 545 Kbps
    Width : 360 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.500
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.528
    Stream size : 52.0 MiB (90%)
    Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : raw
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 705.6 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Stream size : 5.61 MiB (10%)
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Sounds like one solution would be to put QT Pro on the one computer that's seeing the video (in QT, right?) and then use that to export to a DV AVI, which is how I do most of my QT-compatible conversions.

If you already have a QT Pro license, you should be able to enter the registration info in that QT player, I think, to activate the Pro features. If not, it's about $30.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Here are some good video converter and ripper utilities that can do many many formats... try their demos and see if one of them can read and convert the files.

www.PavTube.com

Bob L

Thanks guys!
    I ended up buying QTpro for the machine with itunes on it, just so I could get something accomplished last night and before anybody had time to respond. At least that got things rolling, with the extra step of sending them to the SAW computer over the network.

I'll take a good look at the suggestions when I get a break tonight though. I don't need to do this very often, but it'd be good to have something handy on the studio PC for this.

I'd been relying on AVC (Any Video Converter) for most everything up until now. But I'm having a lot of trouble with out of sync audio and/or sped up video on conversion with it lately and I haven't been able to figure out what the trouble is.

Thanks again for all the help!

Pay attention to your timeline framerate... much of the HD stuff today is being done at 23.976... make sure you match your timeline rate setting to the video.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Thanks guys!
    I ended up buying QTpro for the machine with itunes on it...
    QT Pro is an indispensable format Swiss Army Knife for anybody that is getting various video files from the outside. It has its quirks, but between it and Vegas, I can't remember the last time I couldn't properly convert a file to use in SS.

By the way, the authorization license does work across multiple computers, and even across multiple platforms. You just have to buy a new license with each major upgrade release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Pay attention to your timeline framerate... much of the HD stuff today is being done at 23.976... make sure you match your timeline rate setting to the video.

Bob L
    Yeah, definitely!
    That reminds me, if they don't match when first importing a video file, I get the warning that these don't match.
    Does it matter at all if I say, yes... add the file anyway.... and then change the MT framerate..... or should I cancel the operation, change the framerate and then import the video file?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    QT Pro is an indispensable format Swiss Army Knife for anybody that is getting various video files from the outside. It has its quirks, but between it and Vegas, I can't remember the last time I couldn't properly convert a file to use in SS.

By the way, the authorization license does work across multiple computers, and even across multiple platforms. You just have to buy a new license with each major upgrade release.
    This is good to know..... I was wondering how restrictive it might be.

For those of you who have QT loaded on your main machine, have you ever noticed any problems because of it, do you have it loaded there because you "need" it anyway, or is it just okay in general co-existing with your other audio programs.... like SAW?