Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WAY OT: HTML Editor - Web Site builder

Richard,

I see from your coding that you are already using CSS (via the div tags, etc).

I would not mind (and at no charge to you), to update your site with a few ideas I have and see if you like them or not. With CSS, it is very easy to make the changes.

Llet me know?

I like and use XSitePro 2
    http://www.xsitepro.com

cheers - mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Blog Entries

Dreamweaver is the best software on the market for making websites period. It's not hard to learn and there are a ton of resources out there to help you learn it fast. It integrates with photoshop and Fireworks for easy graphic editing. With all software there is a learning curve but I tell you if you want to build you own websites learn Dreamweaver.

4. Default Re: WAY OT: HTML Editor - Web Site builder

I used Frontpage 2000 since, well, 2000 and recently had my company buy Dreamweaver CS5. It is significantly different...I feel like I've been codeing in the dark ages!

Regular html and such seems pretty simple...but I need to start using PHP to provide compatibility with our ecommerce site. I need to set up a testing server to do it and that's being rather difficult to do - at least for now. I need to get back to some of the Dreamweaver and PHP tutorials out there - there is a LOT of info out there!
    Dave Sneed

www.davesneed.com
    MSI GT725-074US Laptop, P8600, 4Gig memory, Win 7 Home, M-Audio ProFire 2626, 2x ADA8000

5. Default Re: WAY OT: HTML Editor - Web Site builder

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I used Frontpage 2000 since, well, 2000 and recently had my company buy Dreamweaver CS5. It is significantly different...I feel like I've been codeing in the dark ages!

Regular html and such seems pretty simple...but I need to start using PHP to provide compatibility with our ecommerce site. I need to set up a testing server to do it and that's being rather difficult to do - at least for now. I need to get back to some of the Dreamweaver and PHP tutorials out there - there is a LOT of info out there!
    3 words for you. Amazon Web Services.

6. Default Re: WAY OT: HTML Editor - Web Site builder

Being a mid level web due for 11 years heres the breakdown.

Joomla - Full featured and will accomplish anything in the world as long as you have patience. There seems to be way more components and modules for customization than the next two I am going to mention.

Drupal - Very feature rich but the admin panel and be confusing and in my opinion you have to work a little harder to make the site "do what you want it to" once you get going....easy as pie but not for beginners.

Wordpress - easiest of the big three. Did two full sites in one day with minimal graphics changes. Plus there are a million free wordpress templates everywhere... www.danitradillon.com

Dreamweaver is the standard for building sites whether you are a coder or not...It just is... but seems like you are looking for something "server side" that can be changed and maintained daily. My buddy runs www.easyprowebtools.com which is something he did it's pretty full featured, but everyone can't afford 25 bux a month when webhosting and a CMS Script could be as cheap as 4 dollars a month....

Thanks for reading!!!!
    "It's in the Book if you L K!!!!!
    www.provisions1816.com

Quote Originally Posted by mike_da_min View Post
    but seems like you are looking for something "server side" that can be changed and maintained daily.
    Ummm... not really. It seems others somehow got that impression. I personally don't care for all that server side kind of stuff. Or anything that requires that I actually be connected to the internet in order to get any work done. Maybe I'm misunderstanding... but I'm pretty sure that is what is meant by server side....

All I want is basically a Microsoft word like application, that can also build a navigation bar on the web site. I much prefer this approach, build the site all my laptop, then open up a simple FTP app and upload all the content to the web server. That's why Front Page was for me in past. It looked and worked almost like Word, but it allowed you to build a web page hierarchy for ease of creation of a navigation bar and it had a few other cool tools like finding broken links on the site and that kind of crap. That's all I really want.

Right now I'm just building the pages in Word or Open Office, saving as html and maintain all the navigation bars and links by hand, which is a pain in the rear. Other than that, Word is all I really want/need.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I haven't had enough time to really look at all the options. I will let you know which way I go when time allows. Hopefully these next few weeks.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I do not have much experience with websites, but played with Joomla etc,
    to develop your website on your local pc, i used XAMPP and localhost, worked fine!

RobertV

or have a look at AnalogX Simpleserver

RobertV

Definitely seems like the list here has somethings worth demoing that are more in line with what you are looking for:

http://website-creation-software-rev...enreviews.com/

Best regards,
    Steve Berson