Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How can I chop up a one hour recorded set into separate edl's?

I would like to chop up some one hour recorded sets (in SS) into smaller, per song, edl file to then be used as backing tracks via the show control playlist. Sometimes we have our horn players and sometimes we don't. We would like them to "live on" as backing tracks when they aren't at a particular show. What would be the easiest way to divide a one hour set into separate song files for this?

Default Re: How can I chop up a one hour recorded set into separate edl's?

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    I would like to chop up some one hour recorded sets (in SS) into smaller, per song, edl file to then be used as backing tracks via the show control playlist. Sometimes we have our horn players and sometimes we don't. We would like them to "live on" as backing tracks when they aren't at a particular show. What would be the easiest way to divide a one hour set into separate song files for this?
    When you do these recordings, is the band playing to a click track? If not, you probably will have a hard time syncing the live band with the recorded horn parts.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    When you do these recordings, is the band playing to a click track? If not, you probably will have a hard time syncing the live band with the recorded horn parts.
    Yes they are. I would record the click track to its own track. They currently have stereo backing tracks with the click on one side and strings, pads, etc. on the other. I have been doing this for years with various bands, in various forms, even multitrack, using Sonar in a previous band. My question is about chopping up a one hour set into individual SS edl files that cam be triggered from Show Control in SS.

You can use the File/Extract command. Highlight the section you want to extract and then choose File/Extract Session
    David Benkert

Quote Originally Posted by DBenkert View Post
    You can use the File/Extract command. Highlight the section you want to extract and then choose File/Extract Session
    Does that copy the related WAV files or just create pointers to the original files. Either way is fine with me. Is their an option? Forgive me for asking, but I am not at the system where I can test this right now.

Read the helpfile reference on the Extract Session... it makes new wav file copies in a new folder and carries over the master edl settings into the new... the original is not destroyed.

Bob L

If you don't want to re-create the wave files, I just give the edl another name and loos all the regions I don't need. Split them and delete them that way you're pointing to the original wave files.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Read the helpfile reference on the Extract Session... it makes new wav file copies in a new folder and carries over the master edl settings into the new... the original is not destroyed.

Bob L
    Excellent! I knew there was a way to do all this.

Bill... the idea is to shorten the giant long files so the editing is much faster since you are not dragging along hours worth of wav files to edit a 3 min song.

Also... you would be better off not tieing multiple edl's to the same wav files... archiving and moving the sessions around later can get pretty messy.

Bob L

Can you also just extract specific tracks? Say I wanted to make a backing track edl that just included horns, click, and a couple of other tracks; could I only extract those and create a leaner edl file?