Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How can I chop up a one hour recorded set into separate edl's?

It extracts all tracks with data... so if you want to trim it down to a few tracks... first save the session as a work session... then clear tha data from the tracks you do not want... then do the extract.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    It extracts all tracks with data... so if you want to trim it down to a few tracks... first save the session as a work session... then clear tha data from the tracks you do not want... then do the extract.

Bob L
    Thanks. That should work just fine. It might be a good future option to have the option to just extract selected tracks. That would save having to copy the whole file set.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Thanks. That should work just fine. It might be a good future option to have the option to just extract selected tracks. That would save having to copy the whole file set.
    FYI... saving to a work EDL does not copy the whole file set, it simply creates a new EDL that points to the original sound files. It's pretty clean. But, yeah, the option would be a little cleaner.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    FYI... saving to a work EDL does not copy the whole file set, it simply creates a new EDL that points to the original sound files. It's pretty clean. But, yeah, the option would be a little cleaner.
    From what Bob said previously, extracting a region copies that portion of the WAV files to a completely different directory of your choice. I merely proposed being able to "scope" down which tracks were included. The work EDL approach would just refer back to the original WAV files and not copy anything, except the pointer data, mix parameters, etc., right?

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    From what Bob said previously, extracting a region copies that portion of the WAV files to a completely different directory of your choice. I merely proposed being able to "scope" down which tracks were included. The work EDL approach would just refer back to the original WAV files and not copy anything, except the pointer data, mix parameters, etc., right?
    Right. Then you delete the data for the tracks you don't want included and do the extract session. The only data copied that you don't need ultimately is that "work" EDL. I thought you meant audio files when you said "the whole file set".
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Yes... I will consider selected tracks... but the work edl is small... does not copy wav data anywhere... you simply create a new edl... then right-click the track label... then use the clear all entries option to clean a track... it does not delete actual data... once the edl is trimmed down to just the tracks you want, then do the Extract command.

You can then throw away the work edl.

Bob L

Bill... the idea is to shorten the giant long files so the editing is much faster since you are not dragging along hours worth of wav files to edit a 3 min song.

Also... you would be better off not tieing multiple edl's to the same wav files... archiving and moving the sessions around later can get pretty messy.

Bob L
    Thanks Bob. Good points.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Yes... I will consider selected tracks... but the work edl is small... does not copy wav data anywhere... you simply create a new edl... then right-click the track label... then use the clear all entries option to clean a track... it does not delete actual data... once the edl is trimmed down to just the tracks you want, then do the Extract command.

Bob L
    Beautiful!

BTW Bob, I love the new feature on this extract feature for setting it to 0 on the timeline. Thanks for that!
    David Benkert

Bob L
    Is there a way to select multiple tracks and delete the unwanted data? We are trying to make backing tracks for a guy that is no longer in the band. He play just a few tracks (channels), so for each song I have to make a work edl and delete about 20 tracks. I was hoping there was a way to speed this up by selecting multiple tracks for deletion.