Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Well its MIDI time, couple fo questions?

HI all

My first question may stave off the rest...............er well you know

ok back in the day on the MAC i had cubase running. i needed to pull drum tracks off my triton pro workstation.

i would set the triton to external midi sync and set cubase to sync and wullah i would hit play/record on cubase and it would start the triton.

now the reason this was important is because i would write my drums parts as a stereo track for the song but then copy that drum part to the 4 remaning tracks on the triton and then erase everything but a particular drum. WHY? so i could have 4-5 ind drum tracks in cubase and control levels better.

so i would copy the track to track 3 and erase everythin but the kick, to track 4 and erase everything but the snare, to track 5 and erase everything but the hi hat and say toms etc

it wasn't perfect but it gave me a lot more power and onctrol over my drums than a stereo track would

anyway i digress

to connect my MAC and Cubase to the triton i had a MIDI/USB cable - MIDI in/out in the triton and USB in the mac - i was using an RME fireface 800 at5 this time but did not use any of it for MIDI

now that i am on a PC and in SAW my set up is this

PC/SAW firewire m-audio 410 (which also has MIDI in and OUT)

so do i need a normal IN/OUT into my 410?? for my midi or can i re use this MIDI/USB cable into the PC and somehow set that up in SAW??

any help would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Well its MIDI time, couple fo questions?

trock
    ok back in the day on the MAC i had cubase running.

Wow. I'm sorry.
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Need crushing guitar tone? Contact me about reamping!

Brother you ain't kidding

Trock I think tou can use either ?? goto options and set up the midi device ( m-audio) as the in/out device , then goto smte/midi and set the mtc to generate , connect the midi out/in to the triton this should work.

When you start SAW recording it should trigger the triton.

Later
    Buzz

Be aware that SAWStudio will send MTC or Smpte sync code... not midi song position pointer sync with start and stop commands.

Things may have to work a little differently than you are used to.... in fact, you may find that you would be better off creating the drum tracks as independent tracks right in the Midi WorkShop add-on.

You may have to playback the Triton and all the drum tracks at once to get them into SAWStudio if the Triton does not like MTC code.

If all the drum tracks in the Triton use different midi channels, you can do a multi-channel midi record in the MWS in one pass and the MWS will split the different midi channel signals to different tracks.

Bob L

So Bob... this would also apply, lets say, to a DR880 or any other drum machine that xmits and receives midi clock right ? SAW does not generate midi clock at all ?

So help me out here...

I've got some tunes fully developed as patterns/songs on a DR880 drum machine. What is the method by which I can get the individual drums onto separate tracks, all in sync, starting at "zero" into SAW ? OR get the entire midi file into MWS, then (I'm assuming) I can split the parts into separate tracks somehow ? Then have to map them back to the DR880 to get the sounds ?
    Last edited by Mitch; 02-18-2005 at 08:55 PM.

No midi clock... only MTC or Smpte.

But, the MWS has a feature called Multichannel record... it will automatically split all midi data for each of the 16 midi channels to separate tracks in the MWS Multitrack... in one recording pass... so, if your drum machine or sequencer keeps each track on a separate midi channle, you can simply play the sequence one time and all 16 misi channels will be separated onto 16 MWS tracks.

No sync needed.

Bob L

thanks all and bob

i am leaning towards the MIDI patch in SAW just for this reason

things will be different but thats ok, i just have to get my method down for SAW

i am also going to be going with the 880 from here on out fro drums

so mitch you questions is exactly what i want to know

thanks all

Trock, I got a bad feeling about this... I think were SOL here with the DR880 as far as I can tell ? Dont think it can output individual midi tracks... all I can see is a global channel select.

Hard to believe it's going to be this tough to sync a drum machine up to SAW... I'm a total midiot and new to SAW and computer recording in general but it cant be this tough can it ?

10. Default Re: Well its MIDI time, couple fo questions?

setup mws to match your tempo, signature, etc of the dr880 song.

plug midi out of DR880 into MIDI in of MWS

Arm MWS track 1 to record thru this MIDI input, hit record, then just hit play on the DR880.

This should at least play the song into MWS as a midi sequence.
    Then, once its in, select all entries and re-alighn on beat.

This should be the worst case scenario, in general.
    I actually had one to try it with, I'd know for sure, but this method works to get a MIDI sequence out of one of my keyboards into MWS.

good luck
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA