Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPDIF Input

Default SPDIF Input

I'm trying to do what Craig is doing and use Foobar to play some tracks. When you choose the SPDIF inputs, do the channel's input meters show any input? I can hear the tracks in Solo and in the outputs, but I don't see any input meter deflection.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

2. Default Re: SPDIF Input

s/pdif inputs within SAC will show meter data.

Default Re: SPDIF Input

I use it like that all the time
    The meters work just fine for me
    Could it be the windows mixer set to low either foobar or master ?

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
    s/pdif inputs within SAC will show meter data.
    I"m using Foobar to play a track. I've assigned the outputs in Foobar to the SPDIF inputs of my Digiface. I've assigned the input of the SAC input strip to the SPDIF output of the Digiface. I believe Craig (and others?) is calling this a "loopback"?

With that setup, should I be seeing input meter deflection in SAC? I'm not. I'm hearing the track fine, and it solos as expected. There's just no visual indicator that there's a track playing, which would be helpful.

EDIT: I don't have it patched correctly. I'm not hearing the track thru SAC, so obviously I don't understand the Loopback concept yet. Sorry. I'll search the forum. I'm sure there's a "how-to" that somebody's posted.
    Last edited by IraSeigel; 08-21-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Currently using:
    Running at 2x32
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;

Does the audio card SPDIF need to be master sync in the card control panel?

6. Default Re: SPDIF Input

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    I"m using Foobar to play a track. I've assigned the outputs in Foobar to the SPDIF inputs of my Digiface. I've assigned the input of the SAC input strip to the SPDIF output of the Digiface. I believe Craig (and others?) is calling this a "loopback"?

With that setup, should I be seeing input meter deflection in SAC? I'm not. I'm hearing the track fine, and it solos as expected. There's just no visual indicator that there's a track playing, which would be helpful.

EDIT: I don't have it patched correctly. I'm not hearing the track thru SAC, so obviously I don't understand the Loopback concept yet. Sorry. I'll search the forum. I'm sure there's a "how-to" that somebody's posted.
    The channel input should be assigned to the SPDIF input, not output.

Have you physically connected the SPDIF output to the SPDIF input via a cable? That needs to happen.
    Have you made the SPDIF output the system default so that Foobar uses it?
    Have you assigned the SPDIF input to a channel?

Quote Originally Posted by airickess View Post
    The channel input should be assigned to the SPDIF input, not output.

Have you physically connected the SPDIF output to the SPDIF input via a cable? That needs to happen.
    Have you made the SPDIF output the system default so that Foobar uses it?
    Have you assigned the SPDIF input to a channel?
    Thanks for this advice.
    Using an RME device and its Totalmix software, you don't need to run an actual cable. You can route the input virtually, using the Totalmix software, which, after reading the Digiface manual, I now know how to do. (page 65 I believe)

I was mistakenly using the SPDIF inputs for both Foobar and SAC Solo. I didn't realize that. When I routed Foobar to the Digiface inputs 23&24, and assigned the SAC Solo to use the Digiface SPDIF, it worked as you'd expect it to.
    Currently using:
    Running at 2x32

8. Default Re: SPDIF Input

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Thanks for this advice.
    Using an RME device and its Totalmix software, you don't need to run an actual cable. You can route the input virtually, using the Totalmix software, which, after reading the Digiface manual, I now know how to do. (page 65 I believe)

I was mistakenly using the SPDIF inputs for both Foobar and SAC Solo. I didn't realize that. When I routed Foobar to the Digiface inputs 23&24, and assigned the SAC Solo to use the Digiface SPDIF, it worked as you'd expect it to.
    Good to know. I'm a recent owner of an HDSP 9652 card and any little tips like this are welcomed.

I'm not sure how you route that in totalmix. Has anything changed recently? My understanding of totalmix was that you can mix both inputs and virtual software outputs to each of the physical output channels but that you can't go the other way around. How do you virtually route an out back to an input?

EDIT: I'll RTFM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdougherty View Post
    EDIT: I'll RTFM.
    In the Digiface manual, it's Chapter 30.5
    Currently using:
    Running at 2x32