Close

1. Default Multiple Mixes with Process/Mixdown

I am using StudioLite for radio production. The soundcard I use is the RME DigiPad 96/8. For a typical 5 day radio broadcast I produce forty versions, 8/broacast day.

For each broadcast version I use three tracks and assign them to out put channels 1-4, all of which are set for stereo. Thus broadcast version 1 is assigned to output channel 1, broadcast version 2 is assigned to output channel 2 and so on. I can now process/mix down twice in one session, 4 versions at a time, as opposed to 8 separate times.

For example under the ‘Audio Device Setup’ my settings are as follows:

Wave Device Out 01 / DIGI96/8 [1+2]
    Wave Device Out 02 / DIGI96/8 [3+4]
    Wave Device Out 03 / DIGI96/8 [5+6]
    Wave Device Out 04 / DIGI96/8 [7+8]

Since I have an 8-channel soundcard I would like to process/mix down 1 time using 8 output channels set for mono. Because this is a radio broadcast they are all mono programs. So, is there a way to double my output channels by switching them from stereo to mono? For example:

Wave Device Out 01 / DIGI96/8 [1]
    Wave Device Out 02 / DIGI96/8 [2]
    Wave Device Out 03 / DIGI96/8 [3]
    Wave Device Out 04 / DIGI96/8 [4]
    Wave Device Out 05 / DIGI96/8 [5]
    Wave Device Out 06 / DIGI96/8 [6]
    Wave Device Out 07 / DIGI96/8 [7]
    Wave Device Out 08 / DIGI96/8 [8]

If not, are there any other tricks I can employ to accomplish the same goal of mixing down all 8 of my broadcast versions at once?

I hope this isn’t to confusing.

Thanks,

Andy

Default Re: Multiple Mixes with Process/Mixdown

The SAWStudio engine treats all audio devices as stereo devices... the mixdown expects to be stereo, although you can set it to mono, but that will still tie up the stereo device channels.

You are doing things correctly by running two passes. If you had a 16 channel RME card... 8 stereo devices, you could do what you are asking.

You would have to ask yourslef whether the additional cost of the hardware is worth the proposed time savings of mixing all 8 in one pass instead of two.

Bob L

Andy,

You could use virtual cable, It would give you any amount of virtual devices, only limit would be SSL 12 stereo devices.

Alex

That sounds like a fun idea... if it truly appears as another audio device... then SAWStudio will let you assign the out busses and mix away.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_G
    Andy,

You could use virtual cable, It would give you any amount of virtual devices, only limit would be SSL 12 stereo devices.

Alex
    Virtual Cable!? mor einfo please?
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Virtual Audio Cable by Ntonyx

http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm

They have nice tools

Alex

7. Default Re: Multiple Mixes with Process/Mixdown

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your advice. Glad to be reassured that I am using SAWStudio right and that I am taking full advantage of what it offers. I truly love this program!

It looks like I will try the software solution, using the demo first. I rarely use the 4 output channels on my RME aside from process/mix down. Therefore, spending the money for an 8 channel RME would be tough to do. This software seems to offer a viable and affordable solution.

I will keep ya'al updated on what I find out.

Thanks again,
    Andy