Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default OT - Email software for Win7

I've been clinging to Eudora for email for a long time. Even with XP compatibility mode, it really doesn't work very well in Win7. There are problems with displaying fonts properly, so for example, you can't tell if there is a space between words or not. So I'd like to find a new client.

What are you using for email on Win7? Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

2. Default Re: OT - Email software for Win7

Default Re: OT - Email software for Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I've been clinging to Eudora for email for a long time. Even with XP compatibility mode, it really doesn't work very well in Win7. There are problems with displaying fonts properly, so for example, you can't tell if there is a space between words or not. So I'd like to find a new client.

What are you using for email on Win7? Thanks.
    One word: Thunderbird.

Left Outlook in April and never looked back. Like it so much more. Simpler, easier, better searching options; does everything I need (except for Notes, though there are add-on options for that kind of thing).

Thunderbird with the Lightening calendar add-on handles all my mail, contacts and calendar. And I sync it with my Android over WiFi via a free app called MyPhoneExplorer. No clouds here. Love it.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I love Outlook for work stuff because of the calendar and scheduling stuff, but otherwise, I use Thunderbird. It's free, easy, and it works.

I still use Outlook. I messed around with Thunderbird, but to get all the features you have in Outlook, you had to dick around with add ons and other junk. So I just paid up, and go MS Office with Outlook. To me there are still the best over all office products. Probably just because I'm used to working with them for years.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Windows Live Mail.

I've been a Hotmail person forever. I used Outlook Express, and then moved reluctantly to its replacement, Windows Live Mail. It's decent, and there are a few add on "apps" that make it even more functional.

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Windows Live Mail.

I've been a Hotmail person forever. I used Outlook Express, and then moved reluctantly to its replacement, Windows Live Mail. It's decent, and there are a few add on "apps" that make it even more functional.
    Is that an app that only works when connected to the internet? Just curious.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

One of the things that I liked about Eudora is that all attachments get saved in a separate folder that I can put on my desktop. So if I get a script from a client or a short VO from another talent, I can open the Attachments folder and drag the file to the audio computer or print the script, or whatever. I was stunned a few years ago, when helping my mom with Outlook Express, to see not just a folder, but one gigantic FILE containing the entire In box - attachments, inline graphics, etc. To open or copy an attachment required opening OE, finding the email, and saving the attachment elsewhere. Does MS still do it that way?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Is that an app that only works when connected to the internet? Just curious.
    There's an offline mode, so that you can read, sort and write emails. Of course, you can only receive and send when online.

I'm not sure if that answers your question?

There's also an Outlook Connector, that will work inside Outlook to mirror the same folders, calendar, etc. that you've created in Windows Live Mail. It's works well. You can find it on the MS Outlook webpages
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    One of the things that I liked about Eudora is that all attachments get saved in a separate folder that I can put on my desktop. So if I get a script from a client or a short VO from another talent, I can open the Attachments folder and drag the file to the audio computer or print the script, or whatever. I was stunned a few years ago, when helping my mom with Outlook Express, to see not just a folder, but one gigantic FILE containing the entire In box - attachments, inline graphics, etc. To open or copy an attachment required opening OE, finding the email, and saving the attachment elsewhere. Does MS still do it that way?
    You can create folders in which you can sort emails. So if you're working on a particular project, you can file all relevant emails and their attachements into that particular folder. But the attachments are saved along with the email, not separately.

Outlook gives much more flexibility. In the folders you create for messages, you can also store related documents like Word and Excel files. Outlook folders are database-like, more flexible and powerful. But Windows Live Mail is free, and for many, it's certainly adequate. I like the power of being able to file ALL relevant messages AND documents in a particular folder, but along with the power comes extra complexity and, of course, the $ price of Outlook.