Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: OT - Email software for Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    That's pretty much no longer "Open" ironically - as Oracle made different plans for it.
    Yes, but it is still free. I still run an older version. I'll have to look into libreoffice.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

+1 for Outlook. I've tried the alternatives and they just don't work the way I want. I sync everything to my Android phone thru the cloud with no problems.
    -Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    One of the things that I liked about Eudora is that all attachments get saved in a separate folder that I can put on my desktop. So if I get a script from a client or a short VO from another talent, I can open the Attachments folder and drag the file to the audio computer or print the script, or whatever. I was stunned a few years ago, when helping my mom with Outlook Express, to see not just a folder, but one gigantic FILE containing the entire In box - attachments, inline graphics, etc. To open or copy an attachment required opening OE, finding the email, and saving the attachment elsewhere. Does MS still do it that way?
    So far as I know, everything in a particular Outlook profile is saved in one, big, single *.PST file.

Thunderbird creates a folder hierarchy in Windows in which it saves individual emails and such. Not sure if it separates out attachments, though.

I sort emails as they come in, having created my own folder hierarchy in the Thunderbird interface. Each client has his/her own folder, where all emails that I deem worth keeping are kept. If I need to print a script, I go to the client's folder in T-bird, click on the email, open the attachment and print it. Unless I've already saved the script to the relevant audio project folder on the audio HD. I usually do that so that all the project stuff is together during work on the project, and for archiving later.

Actually, I worked the same way in Outlook.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

On the other hand, the real bummer (deal breaker) with Libre could be it's lack of the power of an Outlook equivalent.
    My solution is to simply use OpenOffice and Thunderbird/Lightning. As long as the file associations are in place, you can open all office documents from within Thunderbird -- DOC files open in Wrtier, XLS files open in Calc, etc.

Would that still be a deal breaker for you, Carl?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 09-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Considering Outlook, especially, (and if you like the Ribbon Concept) MS Office holds big advantages.
    I learned to distrust MS... after being burnt (like hundreds of thousands of others) when they dropped cold turkey single users from their new 'promising' business management software (along with MS accounting).
    For the record... I still use Microsoft about half the time because most clients do (not the greatest reason - just a necessity). But for archiving files and future retrieving capabilities, I feel Libre office holds big advantages.
    FWIW, I haven't run into any problems using OpenOffice's ability to save in popular MS office document formats for compatibility with clients.

Hey, Carl, what exactly is your beef with OpenOffice these days? And what do you like better about LibreOffice?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I like to actually pay for my software. Call me crazy.
    You're crazy.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Yes, but it is still free. I still run an older version. I'll have to look into libreoffice.
    (quote)
    Still Free? Angie - The future of OO with Oracle is gone already.
    "Oracle announced that it intends to discontinue commercial development of the OpenOffice.org (OOo) office suite. The move comes several months after key members of the OOo community and a number of major corporate contributors forked OOo to create a vendor-neutral alternative.
    The community defections eventually made OOo financially untenable for Oracle, which is why the company has finally thrown in the towel. Oracle says that it is ready to hand over control of the project to the community, but doing so at this point would be little more than a symbolic gesture; the community has already moved on of its own accord."

IBM discussed helping... but that remains to be seen.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    FWIW, I haven't run into any problems using OpenOffice's ability to save in popular MS office document formats for compatibility with clients.

Hey, Carl, what exactly is your beef with OpenOffice these days? And what do you like better about LibreOffice?
    See my reply to Angie... why would I have a beef if it doesn't exist?
    (or that the main developing community all abandoned it and formed their own, "Libre Office" with the advanced code that not even OO had)
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    My solution is to simply use OpenOffice and Thunderbird/Lightning. As long as the file associations are in place, you can open all office documents from within Thunderbird -- DOC files open in Wrtier, XLS files open in Calc, etc.

Would that still be a deal breaker for you, Carl?
    Very interesting... I'll check into it with Open Office.
    What I'm interested in learning more about is an Event/project Database management integrated with email program (like Outlook can be - but I never used it fully because of the 'one file structure').
    I currently use an elaborate contact database management program with email that does have some Project management. Just looking for alternatives.
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I will say that I was also pissed about MS Accounting being abandoned. But in the long run I realized all I really needed was an Excel Sheet and some Word documents that I use as templates to create invoices. It was a real pain in the rear to make the switch, but now that I have, it actually works faster.
    I can feel the pain! However, you have a great alternative!
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com