Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default MP3 Optimization

I was curious what other DAW users do to optimize their MP3's? FWIW when I have an 320 kbps file it sounds OK (as far as MP3's go). However once uploaded to say Reverbnation, Myspace & etc. I think I hear a difference on playback. . . . and it does not sound even as good at the 320 kbps MP3 file. I guess they are re compressing the audio again? Is there even anything that can be done? Does anyone have a work around for this? Besides not using an MP3 LOL.
    Joe

Default Re: MP3 Optimization

I would start by confirming the difference. Decode your mp3 and theirs. Reverse polarity on one and mix them to see if they null. If there is a difference, see if you can upload wav or aiff files to avoid the double compression.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

I would defy anyone to tell the difference sonically between a high-quality-encoded 320 kbps MP3 and the WAV file from whence it came. Blindfolded, of course. And I wouldn't think compressing one would sound noticeably different than compressing the other. Call me cynical. Or maybe just deaf.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Places like Reverbnation are in fact additionally compressing the streaming audio broadcast from their sites. 96kbps and 128kbps are among the most common streaming rates for these types of places.

What can be done is offer FLAC - a lossless license free data compression codec which has the same exact sound quality as uncompressed PCM (but at about 60% of the file size) - as downloads from your site or with those sites that allow you to post them. http://flac.sourceforge.net

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Steve thank you for the confirmation that they are adding additional compression. I knew I was't hearing things. Dave I agree with you and that is why I encode all my MP3's at 320 kbps. I think they sound great. BTW Steve I will have to check out the FLAC codec. You think in this age of high speed internet & cheap hard drive space that the Reverbnation, Myspace & etc. would up that anti and not re compress the files. It kind of sucks that they do.
    Joe

6. Default Re: MP3 Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by soundtrack2life View Post
    Steve thank you for the confirmation that they are adding additional compression. I knew I was't hearing things. Dave I agree with you and that is why I encode all my MP3's at 320 kbps. I think they sound great. BTW Steve I will have to check out the FLAC codec. You think in this age of high speed internet & cheap hard drive space that the Reverbnation, Myspace & etc. would up that anti and not re compress the files. It kind of sucks that they do.
    Joe
    I feel your pain but as a person who used to run the IT department at a night club that streamed live video and audio from 3 stages, I can tell you it has NOTHING to do with high speed internet or hard drive space.. if you have nice 320kbs streams and 20 people are listening at 1 time that is 4 solid t-1 lines at $650 per month per line.... it's just not cost effective to stream at high bitrate.. If you NEED people to hear that quality I suggest streaming from your own provider (like spacial audio) and pay the monthly fees.. I did that for a year for my band.. got very expensive for the band members family and friends to listen

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I would defy anyone to tell the difference sonically between a high-quality-encoded 320 kbps MP3 and the WAV file from whence it came. Blindfolded, of course. And I wouldn't think compressing one would sound noticeably different than compressing the other. Call me cynical. Or maybe just deaf.
    Sorry Dave. While 320K is a HUGE improvement over typical 128K files, I can easily hear the difference between that and a CD (on quality recordings - not the crap they master these days to play on a f#$king iPod)

i was talking with Bob Ludwig at Gateway mastering, he said "the high resolution mp3's are fine to master from, he gets them emailed all the time from clients doing last minute changes" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ludwig

Lightbulb Re: MP3 Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by JLepore View Post
    Sorry Dave. While 320K is a HUGE improvement over typical 128K files, I can easily hear the difference between that and a CD (on quality recordings - not the crap they master these days to play on a f#$king iPod)
    Have you tried it blindfolded?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Have you tried it blindfolded?
    deaf, dumb and blind ... how did you know?

seriously, listen to the Eagles 'we need more money tour' album (also known as 'Hell freezes over'). tell me you can'thear a difference between a wav and a 320k file. I hear enough to burn up that much space on my phone to have wav's with me.