Close

Default Strategy on Comp vs Levelizer

I recently got Bob's levelizer and was wondering what strategy SAC users are taking with it vs the internal Comp.

I'm thinking that I should continue to use the built-in Comp (channel strip version [NOT levelizer]) for specific compression needs (bass guitar, vocals, etc) and use Levelizer for IEM limiting, dessing, and any thing else that would be difficult or impossible with Comp.

This make any sense and are there performance/quality benefits or suggestions I should be thinking about?

Thanks as always.....

Default Re: Strategy on Comp vs Levelizer

Sounds like a good plan to compress inline and use the Levelizer's comp as a limiter. Bob shared a secret with us that might help you. Use the comp on the levelizer as a brickwall limiter. Attack to zero; Release to 2.0; Ratio in Infinite and level to -4.0 or whatever. Very musical limiter when used that way imho...
    Best to all!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHarvey View Post
    I recently got Bob's levelizer and was wondering what strategy SAC users are taking with it vs the internal Comp.

I'm thinking that I should continue to use the built-in Comp (channel strip version [NOT levelizer]) for specific compression needs (bass guitar, vocals, etc) and use Levelizer for IEM limiting, dessing, and any thing else that would be difficult or impossible with Comp.

This make any sense and are there performance/quality benefits or suggestions I should be thinking about?

Thanks as always.....
    I use the Levelizer on output or subgroup channels. I generally use the channel strip comps and gates for either bringing out transients in a kick, snare or bass guitar (compression), but will use the Levelizer for brick-wall limiting on output channels or subgroups. For example, if I have 6 vox channels, instead of trying to manage 6 compressors that are all basically set the same, I'll run the Levelizer through a subgroup for *all* the vocals. This has worked very well.

When I run a D.J. through the house system, I brick-wall limit his output channel. You can use a Levelizer in conjunction with the channel strip comp by running the Levelizer post fader. This way you can push signal into compression while maintaining compression pre-fader. I've honestly never done this, but it is possible. It's an old Dave Ratt technique.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

What you describe is definitely the best way to use it since you can easily see multiple channels and get at things that may frequently need to be adjusted on the channel.