Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Motto

Default OT Motto

Amateurs practice until they do it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't possibly do it wrong.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Default Re: OT Motto

Guess it depends on your definitions of those two words.

I typically prefer the definitions used to define a professional who does a certain skill, craft, or trade for a living as opposed to using it to denote some level of expertise in said skill or trade.

Maybe that's because I have run into many amateurs who are very, very good at what they do, they just choose to make a living doing something else. (typically because they want to actually eat and support their family )

And I've met MANY so called professionals, who do fit the definition that they do a certain trade for a living, but they suck ass at it.

So I always bristle whenever I see the word "Pro" used to denote the skill level of an individual.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Mostly I have to agree with Richard's remarks, but for one notable exception:
    Years ago I had a friend who was the "music person" (played the organ, ran the choir, etc.) at a church, and they put together a special Easter musical presentation. They hired some professional string players to show up, but there were a couple of "amateurs" as well. John's remark afterwards was that he had learned not to mix amateur string players with professionals (amateurs did not match pitch with pros). I believe his remark was the quote "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump".

For that one instance, at least, "Professional" did indeed equate to a certain level of skill.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Mostly I have to agree with Richard's remarks, but for one notable exception:
    Years ago I had a friend who was the "music person" (played the organ, ran the choir, etc.) at a church, and they put together a special Easter musical presentation. They hired some professional string players to show up, but there were a couple of "amateurs" as well. John's remark afterwards was that he had learned not to mix amateur string players with professionals (amateurs did not match pitch with pros). I believe his remark was the quote "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump".

For that one instance, at least, "Professional" did indeed equate to a certain level of skill.

To be fair, the word can be used either way as you will typically find in a dictionary. It's not an incorrect useage to use the word professional to denote a particular level of skill. I just see is used WAY TOO OFTEN to denote a skill level, usually in order to puff up one's ego or the ego/standing of a particular arts organization.

Sure, the shows at xyz might be of professional quality but paying someone $150 for the run of the show to be the 3rd spear carrier on the left is not a professional salary. Hell these days, that's not even gas money. Likewise some of the biggest crap I've had to sit through as an audience member or designer or board operator have been at organizations where everyone working there was doing it for their living. You know it's bad when the IA lightboard op looks up from their TV set/radio/newpaper/girly magazine long enough to say something like "this guy just sucks... he can't act to save his life..." on Clear-COM.

Hence over the years I've come to narrow my personal usage of the word down to simply denote something that is done for one's living.

In your example the string players that did it for a living were just better players than the ones who did not. Most days I would say that both definitions of the word fit, as in your example. But not always...
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

Hmm, that went sideways in a hurry...
    I heard that quote recently as well. Point being, it's a motivational saying encouraging the reader to hone their craftsmanship (or craftswomanship or craftsTransGendership lest we start a whole new flurry of disagreement ).

Maybe substituting the word "true artist" and "meddler" would work, but it doesn't have the same music.

It's called poetic license, kids.

I do understand your semantic concerns though...
    Okay, where's the coffee pot? BRB...

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    I heard that quote recently as well. Point being, it's a motivational saying encouraging the reader to hone their craftsmanship (or craftswomanship or craftsTransGendership lest we start a whole new flurry of disagreement ).

Maybe substituting the word "true artist" and "meddler" would work, but it doesn't have the same music.

Yep....Sideways... side tracked .... and derailed!
    It's just a motivational statement.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Yep....Sideways... side tracked .... and derailed!
    It's just a motivational statement.
    And a good one. I've already started using it on my kids, who are typical Millenials with lots of talent and not enough discipline. I thank you. They don't.

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post

Yeah, I got it. It's just a saying. Mine is just a comment.

The whole thing is way off topic anyway, so who cares about taking the conversation in another direction. Didn't realize there were such rules.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound

I really like this. And IMO very true
    Joe

That always scares me when it comes to "doctors practice".
    I don't want them practicing on me...