Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

I think this is a great idea and a nice step in the right direction, but the main reason I would purchase this product is so I can have the host on stage and remote my preamps. It seems as though that is not the intended purpose for it.

Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    I think this is a great idea and a nice step in the right direction, but the main reason I would purchase this product is so I can have the host on stage and remote my preamps. It seems as though that is not the intended purpose for it.
    Correct. It basically allows you to keep the pre-amps on stage, not the host. You then connect to the pre's the FOH host via a small CAT-5 cable vs. an audio snake. The idea is still slicker than snot. Imagine how small and manageable your host system would be without the cumbersome snake and pre-amps in your rack. I don't know about you, but I would basically cut my FOH rack in half. This also allows you to scale your pre-amps on a per-show basis. Since the ATAD extender will control 96 channels, you can rack your pre-amps 24 channels per rack, and scale as needed. I'm giving this system a LOT of consideration. It would quite literally take my SAC rig to the next level.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

3. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post
    Correct. It basically allows you to keep the pre-amps on stage, not the host. You then connect to the pre's the FOH host via a small CAT-5 cable vs. an audio snake. The idea is still slicker than snot. Imagine how small and manageable your host system would be without the cumbersome snake and pre-amps in your rack. I don't know about you, but I would basically cut my FOH rack in half. This also allows you to scale your pre-amps on a per-show basis. Since the ATAD extender will control 96 channels, you can rack your pre-amps 24 channels per rack, and scale as needed. I'm giving this system a LOT of consideration. It would quite literally take my SAC rig to the next level.
    yes you could use that system or network sound snake ($3k for 32x32)
    it would be NICE if the box could be usb so you can use an off the shelf cat5 extender to run the midi connection instead of being tied to 1 snake system
    Last edited by Sound Machine Inc; 09-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.

4. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

hi rolf,,any plans to mount 1 or 2 in a 19" rack chassis?

5. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Imagine how small and manageable your host system would be without the cumbersome snake and pre-amps in your rack.

Exactly! Here is a pic of my 26/8 SAC rig with CAT5 snake and remote preamps. It is very small, lightweight and easy to set up when on your own.

Here it is "unpacked"-->

The 6U rack with the ADAs is on stage and connected only with a single CAT5 cable to the SAC host laptop and the 2U rack with the digiface at FoH. Sometimes I add a BCF2000. In the Gator bag is enough room for the host laptop,one spare laptop, one X41 Tablet pc and a BCF2000. I connected a small 2channel AD to SPDIF convertor (it is in the back of the 2U host rack), I use it for talkback or playing music with mit iPod. I use the analog out on the Digiface for my headphones.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Wurst Werner View Post
    I connected a small 2channel AD to SPDIF convertor (it is in the back of the 2U host rack), I use it for talkback or playing music with mit iPod.
    Would you mind sharing brand and model with us?

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

"while(!asleep()) sheep++;"
    Carlo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurst Werner View Post

The 6U rack with the ADAs is on stage and connected only with a single CAT5 cable to the SAC host laptop and the 2U rack with the digiface at FoH.
    Nice rig, Christian! Still trying to get a handle on the capabilities of this rig. Assuming I use an RME card in a 4U rack, does the ADAT expander literally "expand" the 24 x 24 channel capabilities of my RME 9652 card to 96 x 96 channels? Ultimately, I would like to have an ADA8K in my FOH rack for Talk Back, iPod, wireless mic receivers, IEM transmitters and Solo queue while leaving 3 ADA8K's on the stage with the option to double my on-stage channel count to 48 x 48 if I want. I'm not sure if I would use the RME card as an ATAT "master" like this:

RME 9652 -> ADAT Expander -> ADA8K FOH
    .......................................-> ADAT Expander - > ADA8K (x3) on stage

Or if I would use the RME 9652 for the FOH ADA8K like this:

RME 9652 -> ADA8K FOH
    ..............-> ADAT Expander -> ADAT Expander -> ADA8K (x3) on stage

Are either of these scenarios are possible?

Edit: To clarify my question, would I use all 6 of my RME light pipe connections to the ADAT Expander? And then just send that down the CAT5 to the next expander? Or would I simply use a single pair of light pipe connections to go from the RME 9652 to the ADAT expander? If I could see the BACK of your racks, that would answer a lot of questions...<:^)
    Last edited by Donnie Frank; 09-20-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

8. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post
    Assuming I use an RME card in a rack, does the ADAT expander literally "expand" the 24 x 24 channel capabilities of my RME 9652 card to 96 x 96 channels?
    Nope. All the ADAT expander does is allow you to remotely locate your preamps in a different located from your SAC host, linking them by a Cat 5 cable.

If all you have is a single 9652 card, you still have a max of 24x24. If you want to keep a single ADA in the FOH rack, then you can only use 2 of the ADA units with the adat extender.

We're using a Grace m802 for a concert video shoot tonight *without* the remote as it could not be located when we went to pick it up. We're only recording 8 channels. I just learned we might have to run the snake over a doorway. As I was lugging it out (our smallest is 12 channel) I was imagining how wonderful it would be to just run some cat5 instead.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

10. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    We're using a Grace m802 for a concert video shoot tonight *without* the remote as it could not be located when we went to pick it up. We're only recording 8 channels. I just learned we might have to run the snake over a doorway. As I was lugging it out (our smallest is 12 channel) I was imagining how wonderful it would be to just run some cat5 instead.
    Yep, we replaced an old 24x4 analog snake with a single piece of cat5 that is actually doing 48x48 but can go as high as 64x64. Our volunteers are much happier!