Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

After a long time, the promised Remote Gain Control is now shipping. It supports up to 96 channels and works with ADA8000 and Focusrite OctoPre mkII. Other preamps should work also (it depends on the gain pot - values from 5k to 25k are supported, others values could be added easily).

Here some impressions:

The VST plugin for seamless SAC integration, also available:

You can find out more at
    http://appsys.ch/en/products/remotegaincontroller

Have fun!
    Rolf
    Last edited by roffez; 09-19-2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Added link to plugin

Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Awesome!!

Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Ok. At $400 per unit, I'm gonna give one a try. If it's even half as good as it looks, that's a great value for what it does.

Questions:
    Can you provide just the internals for the preamp so that I could have my spare ADA modded and ready to go if I need it?
    Is the VST remotable?
    Last edited by ekimtoor1; 09-19-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roffez View Post
    After a long time, the promised Remote Gain Control is now shipping. It supports up to 96 channels and works with ADA8000 and Focusrite OctoPre mkII. Other preamps should work also (it depends on the gain pot - values from 5k to 25k are supported, others values could be added easily).
    Is Profire2626 gain control possible over MIDI? If so, would the RGC allow control via MIDI without the need to physically mod the unit?

Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

Quote Originally Posted by ekimtoor1 View Post
    Ok. At $400 per unit, I'm gonna give one a try. If it's even half as good as it looks, that's a great value for what it does.
    Keep in mind that, unless there is an alternative to the ADX-32B's, the ADAT extenders are not included in the kit and are about 400 bux each. Since you need 2 of them, this raises the cost of the upgrade another $800.00, which brings the upgrade total to $1200.00.

Not trying to take anything from roffez here...$1200.00 is still a great price for remote-able pre-amps, but I just want to make sure that I'm clear on the *total* cost for this upgrade.

Corrections?

Thanx.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

6. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post
    Keep in mind that, unless there is an alternative to the ADX-32B's, the ADAT extenders are not included in the kit and are about 400 bux each.
    That's correct, but they are not required for the mod to work. If you don't need the ADAT signals at FOH (e.g. because you have the SAC host located on stage), you don't need the ADX units. In this scenario, a simple MIDI port on the host would be enough.

7. Default Re: Remote Gain Control for ADA8000 & Octopre mkII with VST plugin now available

Can you provide just the internals for the preamp so that I could have my spare ADA modded and ready to go if I need it?
    Yes, I'll make additional kits available ($30)

Is the VST remotable?
    It's not directly, but "Wurst Werner" posted how to do it in a german forum. I'll try to translate (@Werner: pls correct me if I'm wrong):
    "... Install the plugin on the remote and open it. Change the gain as desired and right-click on the blue triagle on the upper right of the plugin's GUI. This causes the gain values to be transmitted and updated. Conclusion: There is no direct control from the remote, but if you just want to adjust some channels three dB more or less, it can be done by first select, then right-click to update the host plugin".

I was specing out the prices on some decent 24 channel audio / copper snakes the other day. To get anything half decent (ie: not import / Asian stuff) was going to cost upward of $800.00 to $1200.00 depending on who I bought it from. So to spend a further few hundred $$$ to get into a digital system is not a great hardship.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

That's correct, but they are not required for the mod to work. If you don't need the ADAT signals at FOH (e.g. because you have the SAC host located on stage), you don't need the ADX units. In this scenario, a simple MIDI port on the host would be enough.
    That's the way I planned to use it, my FOH is always a remote. I have never thought of remote preamps and ADAT extenders as a bundle. They are two separate items.

"... but if you just want to adjust some channels three dB more or less...".
    This is the only part of what you said that I don't get. Does this mean I can only make a 3db change at any one time before sending the changes to the host?