Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: playback of 24/88.2 in soundfile view

Playing the MT, SAW does live on the fly samplerate conversion to allow you to play hi rate files that your system cannot normally play.

Bob L

I know that, but I was thought that the MT had to be set for the correct rate. I was unaware that it did so automatically.

Still learning new stuff
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I know that, but I was thought that the MT had to be set for the correct rate. I was unaware that it did so automatically.

Still learning new stuff
    Scott
    It's a lot like the frame rate setting. You can set it to whatever you want, and the MT will play whatever you throw at it -- and keep sync. Very cool. And, sometimes, a little confusing, since you don't have the 'benefit' of a warning prompt telling you that your file's frame rate (or sample rate or bit rate) isn't matching the MT's settings.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Dave and Bob,

Just to clarify. The MT is set for 88.2, just like the file. The file plays fine, no surprise there. But the output device is spdif which, if I understand Bob correctly, is limited to 48/44.1.

Somewhere a rate change is happening between SS and the spdif output on the RME card. I'm just curious as to where it is.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Dave and Bob,

Just to clarify. The MT is set for 88.2, just like the file. The file plays fine, no surprise there. But the output device is spdif which, if I understand Bob correctly, is limited to 48/44.1.

Somewhere a rate change is happening between SS and the spdif output on the RME card. I'm just curious as to where it is.

Scott
    Could it be that the SPDIF is only "hearing" every other sample in the 88.1 stream? I would check with RME to see how their gear deals with such a high sample rate when going to SPDIF out, which can't dance that fast.

One more thought: when I was using XP, I could play a 44.1 file in SAW's SF view while my DA was running at 48. I think Windows was doing it's own SRC in the background somewhere. Seemed to sound okay. Doesn't work that way in Win 7 apparently. Could this be happening for you? Are you on XP?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 10-07-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post

One more thought: when I was using XP, I could play a 44.1 file in SAW's SF view while my DA was running at 48. I think Windows was doing it's own SRC in the background somewhere. Seemed to sound okay. Doesn't work that way in Win 7 apparently. Could this be happening for you? Are you on XP?
    Yep XP here. Interesting.

Scott