Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Windows XP Tweaks

Vista has me worried as well
    You ain't the only one! My next computer will be the new intel-mac. I'm switching. Been studying up to teach myself how to use it and will try to find a local beginners class.

I noticed on the apple site that the new macs come with a program to let you boot to win xp. So I can still use SAW. In the short-term future I will get a (probably used) laptop for SAW use.

This is a decision I've mulled over for a LONG time. I just have NO desire to muck with MS issues anymore. And my time is very limited now so I no longer play around with PC upgrades and experiments anymore. I feel the Macs, with the intel chips, are finally at a level that I will be comfortable with.

I still wish to support Bob and SAW....heck, I'll even buy the thing if for no other reason than to support him. But I plan on USING the program for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by mghtx View Post
    You ain't the only one! My next computer will be the new intel-mac. I'm switching. Been studying up to teach myself how to use it and will try to find a local beginners class.
    A good decision, IMO. And you won't need a class. In the long run, it's way simpler than a PC, but some old habits are hard to break.

Mark

Mark, I was going to PM you but I guess you have to be online. (?) So please PM me and I'll get with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    I still use 2000sp4. So far I have not found ANY reason to move to XP. If I could find a way to dump MS altogether without losing the use of SSL, my various plugins and the hardware of my choice I would do so.
    I have 2000sp4 also and realy didn't note too much of a difference when I switch to XPsp2 with speed. I'm looking into Bob's rundown of services running and might switch back to 2K just to keep things simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Vista has me worried as well. It actually has me beginning to wish that Bob would do a Linux port of Saw. Failing that, I would be REALLY happy if ReactOS (a fully compatible FOSS substitute for Windows) got to the point where it was ready to use for a DAW.
    I checked out the work breifly. Looks like they're still hammering away on it. It would be NICE!

Any services anyone have been able to live without and still have SSL run?

Hap

If you need any help setting up saw with boot camp or learning to use Os X just give me a pm. I've been helping a few other saw users with it over the last 2 months via email and pm.

5 months and going strong with an apple computer running saw.

Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Mark, I was going to PM you but I guess you have to be online. (?) So please PM me and I'll get with you.
    I don't have PM turned on. But feel free to chase down my email address. I'm easy to find.

Robert is a good source for SS related Mac questions, but you may contact me as well. I've had mine for two years now, and going strong. If I ever buy another PC, it won't be for audio or media work.

mark

Thanks Mark and Robert. I'll contact you when the time comes. It's gonna be a few months out still and plus I want to wait until Leopard is shipping.

One thing I don't get is that with the 15" Macbook Pro you can't get the 7200 HD. I don't understand this.

Also, I'm trying to find the best sources on the web to learn about Macs. Perhaps ya'll could PM me with some links?

Thanks.

One thing I don't get is that with the 15" Macbook Pro you can't get the 7200 HD. I don't understand this.
    Just call apple and order, they will do it no problem. Both me and my wife's mac have 7200rpm drives in them by request.

Also, I'm trying to find the best sources on the web to learn about Macs. Perhaps ya'll could PM me with some links?

Thanks.
    There's not really that much to know. Almost everything is click and drag, just use absolute basic common sense and you're fine.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Just use the Command key where you would use the CNTRL key, and it's downhill from there.

Macs are very intuitive. Some of the right click stuff is different, but there is a menu that pops up.

Mark

Just call apple and order, they will do it no problem. Both me and my wife's mac have 7200rpm drives in them by request.
    OK. Yeah, I'll call and ask. But don't you have the 17"?

Almost everything is click and drag, just use absolute basic common sense and you're fine.
    Easy for YOU to say. OK, thanks. I really don't expect to have trouble with it.